Attracting gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by TX Fisherman, Jul 22, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i wanna start gar fishing, mainly cause there pretty cool looking fish and because they put up a great fight and because the how big they can get.. so how do yall attract gar

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I usually don't have a problem attracting gar :roll_eyes: I suppose you could chum with dead minnows or cut up fish.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well here on the Ohio River if you want gar, all you got to do is stare at the water long enough and there will be plenty. Unfortunately.

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey kevin, you can take care of 2 problems at once. come up here and get ya a bunch of these fat head and silver carp, run them thru a grinder and chum for all the gar ya want.

5. jedamy

jedamy New Member

State:
    mo
    ANY BAIT YOU CAN USE FOR CATFISHING ALL WAYS BRINGS THEM RIGHT TO ME WEATHER I LIKE IT OR NOT

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Just kick back in your jon boat with a bare foot over the side gently patting the water. It won't be long before a gar investigates...:eek:oooh:

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Kevin,

I assume you mean big gar. Both Field and Stream and In-Fishermen have done stories on catching big gar. By big gar, I also assume you mean gator gar, particularly those over 15 lbs. Both those articles talk about using big baits, usually of a pound or more. Buffalo, carp, drum are all good gar baits. You need to use stout tackle for gator gar. My friend who caught the 180 lb gar you can read about on another thread here in the gar section uses Penn 209's, 85 lb test braided line, an 80 lb test mono shock leader, and about 2 ft of steel leader. His rods are Ugly Stick 1120 Big Waters (I use the same rod for catfish, so its a good all around rod). 7 ft length. If you have an Ugly Stick Tiger, it will do the job well also. Hooks are at least a 5/0 treble, bigger if you can find them. Baits my friend uses usually weigh from 8 ounces to a lb, sometimes more, depending on what he has on hand. He doesn't use weight for the bait, its got enough for casting and gar will hit all through the water column. He does use a big float rigged slip style for a bite indicator. If you catch a big one, resist the urge to set the hook when it bends the rod, he's just playing with the bait. Wait until he stops and chews the bait a while. Either when he starts moving again or when you think he's swallowed the bait, set the hook. Mostly, gar that bother catfish baits are longnose or spotted in Texas, maybe small gator gar. Big baits attract the big ones.

Best rivers for catching gator gar in Texas are the Trinity, especially above L. Livingston and below the lake, the Brazos, Nueces, and Rio Grande. But, almost every river in Texas holds big ones. Sam Rayburn Lake and L. Livingston do too, but they are more difficult to find. You might have to put up with the damn catfish taking the bait when you fish for big gar.:wink::wink::wink:

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    so just cast out... with huge bait? no need for chum?

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well it really depends on the fishing area. Gar are can live just about anywheres, as most of us know, so that means they act differently in different environments. I know for longnose in the muddy Vermilion they sit in outside bends waiting behind logjams for things to float by. In the small coulees I fish for spotted gar they just lurk all over,

***if you want to call in small gar in a little coulee, find lots of little sticks from 3-6" long and continually toss them in the water to make it sound like wounded baitfish...this almost always attracts spots for me

now in a big lake, spots will cruise the surface a lot and are sight-castable from a dock or deck when the water is flat. For gator gar...they just sit barely under the surface, a lot of times on the edge of hydrilla patches or some type of cover, although they will also lurk out in the open sometimes.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A lot depends on the size of your bait, your rod, the length of your leader and where you are fishing. If you are fishing from a boat, you can let the line out as you move away from the bait. We kayak or canoe the bait to the middle of the part of the Brazos we fish. On my home lake, I don't use as big of baits, maybe a 'gill or cut bait from drum, buffalo fish, or carp. There, the gar tend to be in the 2-8 lb range, so they don't take and swallow the bigger baits as well.

11. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like to use drum heads they work great and the kid catches them all day for me

12. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I catch most of my longnose gar fishing under a bright light on a boat slip or a dock. The bigger and brighter the better. The light brings in the bugs in which bring the gar in. I see 4-5 at a time all of the time. They will try to eat just about anything that you throw at then, minnows, worms, nylon string even a small bass lure. They will chase and attack a small lure and thats fun to watch.

13. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    are gar good to eat?

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Gar have beautiful white meat which makes excellent bluecat bait in chunks. That same white meat makes a tasty, tempting entre for the dinner table.

Make the initial cut by thrusting the point of the knife between the plates immediately behind the head. This will kill the gar as well as make the initial penetration into the shell. Using a very heavy knife with a wave edge (think Ginsu) force the tip under the shell on the top of the fish paralell to the spine. Using an upward slice, cut through the shell from the inside until the entire shell is split down the top.

Pry the shell away from the spine, cutting the shell free of the meat. Repeat on the other side. Carefully remove filets to reserve all the meat you can. You've worked this hard, don't give up.

Trim the filets carefully to remove the sinews along the outside near the shell. Cut the meat into chunks and run thru a meat grinder or food processor. Add seasoning to taste... I like lots of garlic and a teaspoon of season salt. Make meat patties and treat them like salmon. It makes a nice meat loaf too. Just substitute the gar meat for half of the hamburger in the recipe.

Sliced thin and marinated in teriyaki sauce, this stuff makes a terrific and suprising jerky!