attn: ruger superblackhawk owners!

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by massa_jorge, Oct 9, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have a ruger super blackhawk hunter stainless .44 mag. today after requalifying at the range i was shooting it, and broke my ejector rod housing screw. this is the second time in 3 years i have had to replace this screw. i lost the ejector rod spring as well. i know how to fix it and where to get the parts, but i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows any tricks to keep it from breaking. the problem is the recoil wiggles the screw just a little bit loose, but not enough you can tell. then the recoil snaps the screw in half! i am thinking i will just retighten the screw every time i go out to shoot it. any tips would be appreciated.

2. swamp stomper

swamp stomper New Member

State:
    GA.
    Add some Loktite I can't remember if the red or blue is what ya want to use one will hold good for the recoil and the other will almost cement in place and make it impossible to take out. Most auto parts stores carry it.
    SS

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'd also try an get a message to Ruger. See what they recommend.
    :big_smile:

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have never been able to find ruger's email..they dont have a toll free number that i'm aware of.. I checked their website pretty good..when you do call you will get some old woman whom I picture is filing her nails while telling you to just send it in, send it in, send it in..thats all the response I have been able to get out of them..:angry:

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    never had that problem with mine yet,but ill sure check it out. i was thinkin the same thing as travis, locktight. gota love those plow handles for absorbing recoil, eh.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Loktiting preparation is everything!As different lubes have different bases and additives,clean it well alternating with naphtha and alcohol,with the alcohol being the last.What one won't get the other will.If you don't get all of the lube and gunk out of the metal,it won't hold with anything you use.Lighter fluid or coleman fuel is naphtha and any type of high proof alcohol,including rubbing will do.I use CVS pharmacy 91% Isopropyl Alcohol regularly to final clean guns before lubing or loktiting.It is also good to use on black powder guns after you wash them out with soap and water.It helps get the moister out of the tightest cracks and dries out in a hurry.Old folks use to pull off that first gallon when the still was heating up as it was 180-200 proof.It was good to take the water out of your gun and good for mixing the old home remedies.Medicine is still mixed like that today.Keep it off of your wood stocks.I have a SS Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag.bought in 1984 and have never had a problem other that one of my grips splitting and that was my fault.It ain't no hammer,even with the cylinder out!Now it is not the "Hunter"model with the built in scope mount cutouts.Could it have a different ejector screw setup than mine? Are you by chance shooting some type of "HOT" reloads?If you is,your gun may be trying to tell you something.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

7. flatbottom

flatbottom New Member

State:
    Lamar, Arkansas
    The blue variety can be removed fairly easily but still prevents threaded fasteners from backing out. Red is considered permenent and cn make fasteners extremely hard to get out.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well Steve, what do ya use, if ya can't use locktite? It's been the only remedy for me a couple of times. Appreciate some more intel. Is there a product made just for firearms?
    :wink:

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Locktite makes more than just red and blue these days. They have a few others that are in between. Red is considered removable with heating with a torch. Hope this helps.

10. flatbottom

flatbottom New Member

State:
    Lamar, Arkansas
    I use the blue stuff for firearms applications because it prevents fasteners from backing out, but allows you to remove the fasteners without too much difficulty. Good stuff!

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had about the exact opposite when I had to contact Ruger. A few eyars ago, I lost one of my Ruger offsetting SuperBlack Hawk (.454) rings. These are $60 to buy in a set. I contacted Ruger and spoke to a lady about my problems. I didnt have a problem paying $30 for one ring but just hated to pay $60 for two. Well she found out that the company only makes these in pair or something like that, so they cant sell jsut one at a time. She said that she's take care of me and took my address. I told her to include a bill and I'd pay whatever I had to. I got the package, from Ruger which ws a set of new rings and some rosin to put inside the screw holes. The price: $0. She really took care of me. I can not remember how I contacted her specifically, but I'll see if I can remember and get back w/ you.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is what Ruger says about "Toll Free" #'s:
    -"We provide direct dial numbers to each facility and feel that our customers appreciate having 'live' operators answer the phone."

Hope these #'s will help.

Service inquires for Shotguns, Revolvers and all Rifles except Police Carbines
    Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Product Service Department
    411 Sunapee Street
    Newport, NH 03773
    Telephone: 603-865-2442 / Fax: 603-863-6165
    (Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)

Service inquires for Pistols and Police CarbinesSturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Product Service Department
    200 Ruger Road
    Prescott, AZ 86301
    Telephone: 928-778-6555 / Fax: 928-778-6633
    (Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i got ahold of ruger finally and they are sending me the required parts. they'll be here in a week. they don't have a product just for the screws, but said loctite should be fine. i was going to get the parts from numrich or midway, but if they are sending me the parts for free i'll surely go with that! thanks to all of yall for your help and advice.

14. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I havent had any problems with mine as a matter of fact I just took a nice 8 point with it. I'm going to put some locktite on just in case. Thanks!!

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana