ATTN:Ohio river needs our HELP!!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catfishhunter, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    RIVER PROPOSAL

The Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission is proposing to ease pollution standards on bacteria when the river's speed exceeds 2 miles per hour. Here is the link for the full story.http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060413/NEWS0101/604130390/1008/NEWS01
    We need to email them and tell them this is not acceptable.
    Peter Tennant,is the deputy executive director of the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission.
    Here is the contact info.

To comment
    Write: ORSANCO, 5735 Kellogg Ave., Cincinnati, OH, 45228.
    E-mail: ptennant@orsanco.org
    Online: www.orsanco.org/contact/feedback2.asp

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know it's got to go somewhere, just a shame it has to go into the river.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah that kinda sucks. however, i noticed years ago that the best fishing in my area are spots near the outlets of the sewage treatment facilities. for some reason the fish are more abundant and grow much larger. ive often wondered if whatever gets released in the water feeds the shad, which draws and feeds bigger fish and so on. the fish taste like S$#@ though:D

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can you believe that ? do they think that if it moves faster it will not hurt anything.

stupid, stupid, stupid

5. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Dink, where the sewer discharge is here is where we get our shad in the summer. There in there by the thousands. I always thought that the cats ought to be there but, I have never fished it...

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i dont agree with that at all. they said that at a current speed of 2mph+ recreation is at a minimum? Yea maybe swimming and stuff where it would pose the biggest threat but there are still people out there and I think that is a bad deal all togehter. Im not from that area nor do I really fish it, but if there is a petition you all are gettin together or something I would help out because I think we should try and keep the pollution levels to a minimum and I know that there are things to do with it, but some of the politicians think hell nobodys uses the river or its dirty anyways so what does a little more pollution and bacteria matter!:mad: Im behind everyone who is against this and if there is anyway to help in numbers I will!

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Catfishhunter

Thanks for the heads up.

There are MANY MANY changes that need to take place regarding pollution!! I just wish they all could happen in my lifetime.

:cursing:

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great thread started, thanks for the info.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The catfish are there eatin all the corn. LOL

10. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Rob, all everybody needs to do is email Peter Tennant and tell him that we don't want our river polluted anymore than it already is...

11. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    There are some in the legislature that may oppose this move. I’m not trying to hijack this thread, but I have some new related information.

I don’t know if you have followed the thread I started in Member World Discussions, “Effluent Discharged Into Great Miami River.” I detailed open dumping of process discharge dye and subsequent raw sewage into the GMR in Hamilton, on Christmas Eve, and again in mid-February. I pretty much used this thread as to warn the folks that fish the area, and to make the public aware. I posted a lot of the correspondence I’ve had, and about presenting this problem at the Statehouse in support of some proposed legislation. I have not posted much lately, as I have sent the whole package to the Ohio Attorney General and Butler County Prosecutor for review.

Representative W. Scott Oelslager is writing a proposal for a House bill, to generally require entities that cause spills to report them immediately to the Ohio Department of Health, Ohio EPA, and warn the general public through local media. I made a personal request of three Representatives in my 22 February visit– Mr. Collier, Mr. Combs, and Mr. Raussen, and sent a letter to Mr. Oelslager in support. I can’t tell if anyone actually contacted his or her Representative because of my thread.

I received a call from Ohio Public Interest Research Group, telling me the legislation has been officially proposed and requests for co-sponsorship have been routed to the House members. I have been invited to give testimony before the body when the legislation is up for discussion, which I plan to do. Anyone that might be willing to lend supporting testimony can do so, specifically to the value of such warnings to the fishing constituents in Ohio, and as to the positive effect this could have on the sport and economy. Testimony can be given in writing, but is much more effective when presented in person and backed up by a written submission. Persons giving testimony before the House can have 1 to 10 minutes, and must request time formally in advance. I’ve never done this, so I’m just learning about it myself. Timing of the presentation is supposed to be around the second week of May.

I would like to post an invitation, to the Ohio BOC members, to call or write in support of the legislation. It's not been given a number yet. You can find and e-mail your local Ohio Representatives at
    http://www.house.state.oh.us/jsps/Representatives.jsp

Ms. Amy Gomberg at Ohio Public Interest Research Group at agomberg@gmail.com and she will probably be pleased to send you more info. She’s the person that got me the audience with the representatives back in February. You can view their website at http://ohiopirg.org/OH.asp?id2=22721&id3=OH&

As of last week we have 22 bi-partisan legislators signed on to the legislation. Below is a list of the co-signers:

NAME / PARTY / District #

Blasdel, Charles R. / R / 1

Boccieri, John A. / D / 61

Calvert, Charles / R / 69

Chandler, Kathleen / D / 28

Combs, Courtney / R/54

DeBose, Michael /D / 12

DeGeeter, Timothy / D / 15

Evans, Clyde / R / 87

Evans, David R./ R / 71

Fessler, Diana M. / R / 79

Harwood, Sandra / D / 65

Hughes, Jim / R / 22

Martin, Earl / R / 57

McGregor, Jim / R / 11

Oelslager, W. Scott / R / 51

Perry, Jeanine / D / 49

Setzer, Arlene J. / R /36

Trakas, James P. / R / 17

Ujvagi, Peter / D / 47

Williams, Brian G. / D / 41

Wolpert, Larry / R /23

Yuko / D / 7

Here's the draft legislation, and a coalition letter supporting the bill when it's introduced:

-------------------------------
    PROPOSED LEGISLATION:

Sewage Pollution Reporting & Public Notification Legislation

Purpose:
    To establish notification requirements for the discharge of untreated or partially treated sewage onto land or into waters of the state.

Pertains to any sewage that has not been fully treated, combined sewage, and sewage that flows onto land, or waterways of the state.

Contents:

The person responsible for the sewage overflow shall:

I. No later than 24 hours after the beginning of a discharge of untreated or partially treated sewage in the land or waters of the state, the responsible party shall notify:
    1. The Director of the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA)
    2. The Board of Health
    3. The media (at least one TV, radio, and newspaper within the affected area)

The notification shall be given over the phone, and shall include:
    a. Acknowledgement that a sewage overflow is occurring
    b. The number for the OEPA toll-free telephone hotline
    c. A statement explaining the health effects and actions one should take to avoid exposure to sewage.

II. Not later than 24 hours the sewage discharge has concluded, the responsible party shall notify:
    1. The director of the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA)
    2. The board of Health
    3. The media (at least one TV, radio, and newspaper within the affected area)

The notification shall be a statement in writing including:
    a. The volume and quality of the discharge
    b. The reason for the discharge
    c. The location of the overflow, and the land or waterways it has impaired
    d. The time the discharge began, and ended.
    e. A verification of compliance with their permit
    f. An explanation of the health effects and actions one may take to avoid exposure to sewage.

III. Post the notification on their website, if they have established one at this point.

IV. Post a prominent sign at each access point to the affected water (including boat ramps, parks, and school yards). The sign shall contain language such as:

Caution – sewage or wastewater pollution.
    Sewage or wastewater may be in this water during and for several days after periods of rainfall or snow melt. People who swim in, wade in, or ingest this water may become sick. For more information please contact (information for person responsible for sewage system) or call the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency’s hotline.

V. Test the impacted waters (determined by the board of health) for the presence of untreated sewage.

VI. Inform each municipal corporation in their affected area of the option to receive notification of sewage overflows.

VII. Prepare an annual report that includes an accumulation of information regarding their systems sewage overflows

The Director of the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency shall:

I. Establish a toll-free hotline that shall contain information regarding all sewage overflows, and the OEPA shall disseminate the hotline phone number to the public.

II. Establish a website with a map with the locations of all (combined) sewage overflows, and all overflow occurrences. The website shall allow any person to register to receive an email notification of sewage overflows.

III. Notify electronically every person that has requested electronic notification.

This does not pertain to sewage discharges into groundwater.

This does not authorize the discharge the discharge of untreated sewage or partially treated sewage onto land or into the waters of the state or limit any person from bringing legal action.

Prepared by Amy Gomberg
    Environmental Associate, Ohio PIRG
    On behalf of Representative Oelslager
    Feb. 15, 2006

---------------------------------------------------

COALITION LETTER 3.10.06

Dear Representative

We, the undersigned, urge you to protect the health of Ohioans from the threats of untreated sewage by co-sponsoring Representative Oelslager’s legislation. Billions of gallons of untreated and partially treated sewage are contaminating Ohio’s waterways, including Lake Erie, and are putting the health of Ohioans at risk. Ohioans deserve clean water that is safe for fishing, boating and swimming.

Sewage overflows into our waterways when sanitary sewers, sewer bypasses, and combined sewers, that contain storm water and sewage, overflow. Sewage overflows are a major source of beach advisories, wildlife destruction, and human health problems. Untreated and inadequately treated sewage contains disease-causing pathogens including E. Coli, Hepatitis A, and Giardia. Anyone who comes into contact with water that is contaminated with sewage is putting their health at risk. Sewage is also a likely contributor to the dead zone in Lake Erie’s central and Sandusky basins.

Key Facts about Sewage Pollution in Ohio:
    * There are 88 communities in Ohio that have combined sewer systems, discharging untreated sewage in our rivers, lakes and streams.
    * Over 8.9 billion gallons of sewage, from 11 communities were discharged into the Lake Erie watershed basin in 2004. This is equivalent to more than two billion toilets flushing into Lake Erie: a drinking water source for over eleven million people.
    * Hepatitis A was recently found in the Cuyahoga River, in a study done by the Unites States Geological Survey. This virus was also found in effluent coming from the Akron wastewater treatment facility.
    * Recently, another dead zone was discovered in the Sandusky Bay, of Lake Erie.

Unfortunately, Ohio is behind all the other Great Lakes States, and has NO statewide requirements for sewage treatment facilities to report to our environmental agency and to the public when they are dumping disease-ridden raw sewage. Ohio should follow the lead of states like Indiana and Michigan and pass legislation that requires consistent reporting of sewage discharges and that requires a full public notification system.

Please protect the health of Ohioans, and support H.B. ____ .

Sincerely,

Ohio Public Interest Research Group (Ohio PIRG)
    Amy Gomberg
    Environmental Associate
    36 W. Gay st. suite 315
    Columbus, Ohio 43215
    614-460-8732
    agomberg@ohiopirg.org

Ohio Parks and Recreation Association
    Michelle Park, Jerry Eldred
    Executive Director
    Columbus, Ohio
    614-296-0647
    jeeldred@aol.com

National Wildlife Federation
    Chris Grubb
    Policy Program Manager
    213 W. Liberty
    Ann Arbor, MI
    734-769-3351
    Grubbc@nwf.org

Izaak Walton League of America, Ohio Division
    Raymond Zehler
    Executive Director
    900 Morman Rd
    Hamilton, Ohio 45013-4358
    513-868-3179
    zehleriwla@msn.com

Ohio Farmers Union
    Joe Logan
    President
    9605 Stoddard-Hayes Rd.
    Kinsman, Ohio 44428
    330-876-8208
    joelogan@nlc.net

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, Midwestern Office
    Rhonda Border-Boose
    Executive Director
    30 Liberty St.
    Canal Winchester, Ohio
    614-837-6782
    Rhonda@railtrails.org

Ohio League of Conservation Voters
    Bill De Mora
    Executive Director
    1200 W Fifth Ave,
    Columbus, OH 43212
    614-481-0512
    wdemora@columbus.rr.com
    http://www.ohiolcv.org/

Ohio Bass Chapter Federation
    Donald Schoonover
    Conservation Director
    203 Briarwood Dr.
    Gallipolis, Ohio 45631
    740-446-3074
    dlschoonover@hotmail.com

Rivers Unlimited
    Mike Freemont
    Executive Director
    515 Wyoming Avenue
    Cincinnati, OH 45215
    513.761.4003 (phone)
    www.riversunlimited.org

Buckeye Forest Council
    Brandi Whetstone
    Executive Director
    120 E. Kelso Rd.
    Columbus, Ohio
    614-784-8994
    brandi@buckeyeforestcouncil.org

North Coast Charter Boat Association
    (Representing 100 charter boat captains)
    Capt. John Abercrombie
    President
    PO Box 67
    Grand River, Ohio 44045
    216-319-0840
    abe22453@aol.com

Sierra Club, Ohio Chapter
    Enid Nagel, Chair
    36 W. Gay St., Ste. 300
    Columbus, OH 43215
    enidsierra@yahoo.com

American Rivers