ATTN. Ohio Ice Fishermen

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 17, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just a little fyi for those that enjoy ice-fishing as much as i do. I hear we are gonna have a cold blast this weekend, with temps. ranging from 0-15 above a couple days. I just want to remind everyone, that ice-fishing is dangerous. And, i see every year where someone ventures out, before they should and the tragedy happens! You need atleast a week of constant cold temps. below freezing, to create good ice in my opinion. A couple days isn't enough. Also, remember..if we do get ice, then snow...snow acts as a blanket, and a warming agent on the ice...not good!! If we would happen to get cold enough weather long enough, remember to start at the edge of the pond/lake, and make test holes as you move slowly out. I know everyone says three inches of good ice is a God's plenty.. I prefer atleast 5 or 6 inches myself.. Bring your safety gear, including rope..i tie a lifejacket onto 50ft. of the rope. If you have to throw the rope most likely your buddy is gonna have trouble holding on to the rope, but a lifejacket maybe help! So, by all means BE CAREFUL!!! There is NO fish worth the price of life!!!!! goodluck...rollo

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i am hoping for a good ice this year as well, i got back into ice fishing last year after giving it up in 2000. loooking forward to setting those tip-ups with some cut shad:big_smile:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i mainly target crappies and bluegills through the ice. it is a fun way to fish, and if you have never tried it, i would recommend it to anyone. i took my neighbor last year that is almost 60 yrs. old. it was his first time ever.. he loved it, i would like to be able to take him again this year..If it is safe to go!!!! rollo

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just bringing thi back up, its getting cold...everyone be careful! rollo

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've never been but its something I'd love to try at least once. I can handle the cold and think it'd be a blast to do. I know nothing about it though so I'll have a lot to learn if I make it.
    Thanks Rollo for the thread!:wink::big_smile:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anyone that is interested in ice fishing, but have never tried. I will gladly take you and give some ice-fishing techniques. give me a pm. and i will get back with you..rollo

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You know I'll be up for it, we just gotta be able to get together first.
    Thanks for stepping up and doing what you did!!! I'm out of power or I'd Rep you...:wink:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anytime brother, ice or sun.. you don't understand those i have taken fishing..lol.. i hope you can make it tom. to the breakfast...rollo

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hate ice, I hate cold...I hope we get 0 ice this year and the flatheads start biting in March!:big_smile:

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I'm with Jack on this one. :smile2:

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same her Jack, thats why i gave it up a few years back! however i took it back up for channels and saugeye only, would not break my heart to see it stay in the 40's all winter and get no ice. when we get good ice (hopefully by next weekend) you should come join us, CJ isnt too far from ya:wink:

12. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Along with the life jacket,rope, and good commom sense , you should have a "necklass" of two ice picks(screw drivers-anything pointy) to use if you should happen to fall through the ice. These can be used to drag your self along along or out of the hole you have fallen into. I agree that ice should be 5" to 6" to be safe. Remember though, any water that has any current can have thin spots!! Even a lake with springs can cause the same condition. BE SAFE!! KEEP WARM!! HAVE FUN!!!!
    Howard M. Galloway Ohio:smile2:

13. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    here in southwest ohio. miami whitewater park
    you can ice fish but the lake isn't frozen just skimmed with ice

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i won't go on any moving water.. i don't care how thick the ice is etc. that is too dangerous in my opinion, and your chances of getting out of moving water greatly decreases.. ponds or lakes, watch out for them fresh water springs, and stay away from spillways in them. the ice usually stays then due to the moving water associated with overflows. maybe we will get some more cold weather and it will be a productive year to go, just not looking that way now...goodluck..rollo

15. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    when i was a miami white water they had a sign up
    saying stay off of ice to dangerous

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anyone drilled any test holes lately? i haven't but was wondering if were getting any good ice yet? rollo

17. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Just got back from ice fishing in Michigan. We had 6 inches of ice there and no luck with the fish. We were using minnows and wax worms and had 2 hits between 4 of us. Used a 4 man shanty and pulled it with a 4 wheeler. Spread holes out 50 yards around the shanty and were marking fish on the fish finder.
    Gonna try again tomorrow at a local resevoir and if nothing there try a farm pond at work. The other guys hope we can get some perch or crappies. I know a channel in the resevoir where I can get channels on waxies.

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here in SW Ohio it varies from 2 inches in the south to 5-6 inches North of dayton. ice isnt quite safe enough (i prefer at least 4 inches on the big lakes) for me to venture out to channel fish. i broke down and bought some jig poles yesterday and am going out to a local pond today where its 5 inches and chase crappies and trout.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you dog you:smile2: i wish i could go!!!:big_smile: rollo

20. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fished Buckeye yesterday.....6 1/2 inches of ice. Only caught 1....a 17 inch saugeye.