Attn all Kayakers,Canoes, Human powered Crafts

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by ggoytia, Sep 1, 2007.

1. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Wow, I gotta love this place they cater to just about everyone include us who paddle around avoiding teenage crazies in daddy's 50k boat.
    I normally fish in the DFW are so if you ever want to meet us post up

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Hey Gus,

Tell us more about where you fish and what you fish in! It's good to have you on board the BOC!

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    haven't fished much in 30 years, but got started again last summer, had a great time catchin catfish, got hooked too, joined this organization. I mostly fish small rivers and some lakes, not too deep, i'm thinkin a kayak would be perfect, light, and maneuverable, i usually fish alone.

4. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Tim. Check out the picture gallery and you'll find some of my kayak fishing photos. If you would like to have help in selecting a good kayak, we all would be willing to help!

5. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    yep, I hope to make enough money to get one someday, to just drift around the lake, but the problem is when I'm workin, I don't have much time, and when I got time, I don't have much money. oh, well, i'm hopin someday, I picked up a couple reels at a swap meet the other day, and a couple used rods at garage sales, can't wait to try them out with what I've learned here, got some heavy line on em and I hope to be fishin in a couple weeks if its not froze up. I'll contact ya when I'm really serious about gettin one. thanks again

6. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    To give you an idea of what I paid...

I shopped for the best deal to get out on the water inexpensively. I'm not as poor as I am busy; knowing that I don't have a lot of time to fish, I didn't wan't to pay thousands of dollars for something that I might not use often. I simply wanted to break away from the shore...you get tired of watching the fish feed just beyond your farthest casting distance! :angry::big_smile:

Not having to pay taxes and registration for a motor-powered craft and trailer looked good, but this leaves out everything from a jon boat (at least a trailer) upwards!

On the other hand, I didn't like the float tube, pontoon-chair, or other inflatable options. Air-filled rubber and fish hooks just don't make sense together!

I also didn't want to waste money on the cheapest kayaks (the Wal-Mart online kind); not that they aren't okay for some, but I didn't want to fool with leaky hatches and cheap manufacturing. I would prefer dealing with a company that makes kayaks only, not kayaks and playground toys. Call it pride, maybe...

I then came across a web site (not hard to find if you Google "fishing kayaks" since they have all the "stuff") that provides great comparison information between various brands, as well as pricing information across a wide range of products. Their prices on kayaks are reasonable, and though I didn't buy the yak from them, I did purchase all the accessories in a package deal that was hard to beat.

I found that the Heritage Redfish 12' Angler was a decent kayak available on sale at a local dealer that specializes in biking/hiking/camping equipment, not kayaks. They had a bike/kayak demo day, and rumor had it that they would give a 20% off list discount for those who bought that day.

I went to the demo, tried the Redfish and Native Watersports Magic 12'. I liked the stability and handling of both boats, but preferred the Redfish package overall. I was able to purchase this kayak for $650, which was an outstanding price (they now list the kayak for $739, on sale).

The kayak has a great seat, three rod holders, anchor system, and paddle leash thrown in. I had to buy cargo rack covers, tie-down straps, paddle (carbon shaft), PFD, kayak cart (very necessary), and kayak cover (not so necessary, but expensive), that brought the total price to around $1100.

The experience is everything I hoped it would be and more. I never actually imagined that I would be able to paddle as far from shore and fish as effectively as I have been able to do. It was well worth the investment!

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    As Jeremiad said,yaks are a reasonably cheap way to get on the water. Check with local kayakers and they may know someone or someplace selling a used boat. make sure you test drive used ones and check inside for water when finished. Upgrading your boat is fun as well, as funds become available add rod holders, anchor trollys, customize your crate, add a rudder and fishfinders and/or gps.
    I strongly recommend a "sit on top" kayak primarily because of ease of reboarding if you should happen to get flipped and more room for fishing stuff, but that is personal preference.
    Get out there, get wet !!

8. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    I definitely agree with the SOT concept; it is a fairly recent development that has been revolutionizing the kayak industry.

Kayakers-turned-fishermen often prefer Sit-In-Kayaks (SIKs), while it seems that fishermen-turned-kayakers prefer SOTs. This is understandable once you start paddling for a while. SOTs have several angling advantages spelled out on that web site that I referenced above.

As for me, I like that extra inch of air and plastic between me and the water! :tounge_out:

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Kayakings the way to go. I paid $175 for mine. course thats a steal. Got it used from a guy going through a divorce, least thats what I think. Anyways, its a 10' perception america not really made for fishing but it works good for me. The guy through in a $200 dollar paddle and a life vest. So if I were you I'd search the internet first for used kayaks:wink:

10. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    thanks for the info, i'm still lookin, i'm in calif now, and heard about a guy some fishermen found 8 miles off shore, guess he caught a shark. if i can get past the surf, it'd be fun. almost got one free couple years ago, but didn't work out. a place had em on sale but i been outa work for awhile so i passed it up, would be good to find a used one, lookin forward to it. I figure i'd prefer a sit inside kayak, lower center of gravity, and all that, but i'll keep lookin and eventually get one. I was fishin a lake in so MN early Nov, kinda cold to be riskin fallin overboard, but the fish were past where I could cast to, so i fished, didn't catch. saved havin to clean em i guess.

11. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Gotta remember, if you dump it you gotta get back in. A sit inside is almost impossible to reboard when in deep water,and they can friggen sink !!! Sit on tops can't sink unless you get torpedoed or punch a major hole in it, An easy method to prevent sinkage is to put 5 or 6 pool noodles inside the yak... WON"T SINK !!! $ 10.00 life insurance policy.

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Oh, by the way, if a guy got dragged 8 miles off shore I got 3 things to say, # 1 cut the friggen line
    # 2 loosen the friggen drag and give the line to the fish
    # 3 throw the friggen rod over the side
    Not brain surgery !!!

13. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Google "used kayaks", and you will come up with a list of places that not only sell used kayaks, but good prices on new ones. At this time of year, you can pick up a good new one for about $600.

14. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I read an article the other day about kayakers off Texas in the Gulf, actually pursue sharks. I suppose the fight is what it is all about, but I don't want a shark close to a kayak.

15. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    Thanks all for the info, I found a place that sells used ones, but I gotta wait a bit yet. For fishing I've decided that the SOT is the way to go, cause of the room for gear. Just more practical. I guess if I was goin for a long trip or camping a sit inside would be ok, but I want it for fishing not exploring. Glad I got all ya'lls advice, cause without it I'd made some bad decisions. Thanks again.

16. Flathead101Va

Flathead101Va New Member

State:
    Virginia
    SINK's are good for cold weather fishing, because you have the ability to have a spayskirt to keep you dry and if you flip you can roll, same with packing gear.. On the other hand SOT's you can stand up and fish if need be, very stable fishing platforms. If I was in the market for a Yak I would put my money down on a SOT.

Happy hunting