Attention Paylake fisherman!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by drpepper, Jun 23, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm thinking very seriously about starting a paylake

Please tell me what things you likes and dislikes about your favorite paylake

What do you pay for a permit? and do they have limits?

What are your average catches?

What fish do you like to catch?

How do you feel about catch and release paylakes?

What suggestions do you have?

Bill

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Where you planning on getting your fish Bill ?

3. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    The one thing I dislike about paylakes is the fact that many (if not most) buy live trophy cats taken from local lakes and rivers. You can buy farm raised catfish from reputable hatcheries in all different sizes. If you manage the lake properly, you'll get bigger cats in fairly short order. There's no reason to hurt one fishery (or more) to build another.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    dont worry bills got fish!!!!:wink:

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    YOU don't have to fret me.
    A hatcheris 20 minutes from here with 100's of acres of hatchery ponds, raising huge healty clean channel cats and beautiful hybred bluecats and a limited number of farm raised flatheads in the two back ponds all hatchery born and raise.fish only. Your right I am a CPR guy, I only fish tne rivers take a pictur then turn 'em lose. I have been and always will be against removing fish from public waters. Wild fish are YOURS and MINE not a paylakes. They also carry diseases I don't want in my lake
    I also thought of stocking trout in the fall for put and take fishing.
    The pond is deep and cool and has supported a small number of very healthy saueyes for years. The cats will be on there way this week. The lake has been stocked with channels and Hybred blues for 10+ years with 300 pounds of adult Channels and 200 pounds of hybred blues plus 250 9" channels every year. and 400 pounds of 20 pound flatheads where put in about 15 years ago from that hatchery none have ever been taken out.
    in all these years. And again with the exception of the bass, crappie and bluegills... everything else is farm raised

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Now thats out of the way.... maybe some will answer my questions.

Please tell me what things you likes and dislikes about your favorite paylake

What do you pay for a permit? and do they have limits?

What are your average catches?

What fish do you like to catch?

How do you feel about catch and release paylakes?

What suggestions do you have?

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    To start with, most pay "lakes" (the ones I've seen) are just glorified mudholes. An actual lake, according to Webster is, "a body of fresh or salt water of CONSIDERABLE SIZE, surrounded by land. Now, if they would call them "ponds", which according to Webster is, "a body of water smaller than a lake, sometimes artificially formed, as by damming a stream.", maybe they would be more credible in my eyes. How big is your "lake", Bill? I see nothing wrong with this type endeavor as long as you run it like you said you were in your posts, and rivers and lakes are not raped to accomadate your "lake".

Bill in SC

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Around here the usual rate is about $3.50 for the first pole and $2.00 for the second. They usually run hourly contests on weekends with all fish entered returned to the lake immediately after weigh-in. No catfish are to be taken from lake and used only for big fish prizes, again returned immediately to lake after catch or weigh-in. They usually have some monster carp and I think most people go just for the thrill of catching fish and enjoying a family outing. Most also run a weekly big fish contest with cash payout for biggest of the week. Good luck on your endeavor and I hope you have much success. Stay safe and enjoy the moment!!!

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Right, Paylake is just a common name but "pond" IS fitting- a "lake" to me is the Santee or Erie or at least 20-30 acres maybe. So pay pond would be accurate for any place that I've ever seen in my life.
    But it's by far NOT a mudhole. its 3 acres at around 21 -23' at the levy depending on time of year rain etc. It was engineered and designed for land scape ethetics(or whatever the word is) it has shape and design... not just a pot hole in the ground.
    Robbin (my wife) hates the Idea -and truthfully I'm not excited about it.
    If I did it- it would be to just suppliment my income a LITTLE... help with these sky high eletric bills and property tax some (Bill, I told you about those while we were fishing together) however, it will NOT be worth it to have shoulder to shoulder red-neck-loud-mouths out here thowing trash on my property, drinking, cussing and carring on.... I won't have it.

My idea is only 2 or 3 families allowed here at a time (that I screen first) with appointments ahead of time to fish and probably just only weekends. With a catch and release deal, I shouldnt have to put anymore fish in here for YEARS if ever lol. And Bill, you and others here on the BOC KNOW I would never-ever rape lakes and rivers to accomadate this POND lol. I am trying to figure out how to help STOP that practice, NOT support it.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <If I did it- it would be to just suppliment my income a LITTLE... help with these sky high eletric bills and property tax some (Bill, I told you about those while we were fishing together) >

Sell out and move to sunny SC where the fishin' is year round and taxes and land prices are minimal. :wink:

BB in SC

11. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so it would be more like a conservation club of sorts, not just open to anybody. Which this is a concept that i like. Also I would imagine there would be a contract for the members that if they broke the rules and regulations to the contract there priveleges would be suspended or revoked.

12. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    and if it is like the other clubs here in indy you would have a 50-75 dollar yearly fee with access on certain days from one time on the opening day - closing day at a givin time, like the weekends as you suggested. If you did open your own club or pay lake id be open to fishing there ,all the paylakes around here are not that great.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sounds good Bill. Good luck with it.

14. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Bill I think you have a great idea here. One place set up and ran right could probably run a couple of bad ones out of the business. What I would like is to also bring my grandkids and not have them subjected to some of the language and antics you see on the more accessable public river sites.
    I have never been to a pay lake so I have no likes or dislikes, but what I would like is the fact of easy access. I'm not getting any younger and need 2 knee replacements that surgeons won't do for fear of complications from the diabetes,so getting in and out of boats and walking hundreds of yards to get to a honey hole are out of the ?.
    If you announce tomorrow she's open for business I would give you a call immediately to start the screening process. 1 more thing you could in the price of admission give out a trash bag and tell everyone you brought it here you take it from here, or give them the bag and have a dumpster available.
    This also could lead to an early retirement when all the bucks from your boc brothers and sisters start rolling in.:big_smile::big_smile: