Attention Old Military Members

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TOPS, Oct 13, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Name some of the tricks that the older members played on you when you was a NEWBE. 1. I was sent after 100 yards of flight line. 2. Two cans of rotor wash. If you were not in the military(army aviation), the above sentence may not clear to you, will be explained later. :D :D What was you sent AFTER!! :confused:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well Im not old LOL but they tried to get me to go after some Relitive Bearing grease, sent to get the coin that is put into the Keel, 100 ft of Waterline LOL. We had these screens that we used that were green in color and was told to get a bunch of Chem lites to fill them up.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Well they tried the old Canapé lights for the night jump, and then there is the old key to the drop zone, and the good ol box of grid squires, and the wind gage and directional device that goes with the with the Barrett sniper scope.

4. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    change the winter air out of the tires and put in spring air. Batterys for the Chem lights. Keys to the Drop Zone. Was asked once to take a hammer and find the weak spots in the bed of a 5 Ton..... LOL

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Its only a joke!!! You mean I have been wasting my time every year changeing the air in my tires. :sad: :mad:

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I had a new kid shoot an azimuth with the master compass one time. Had him shoot to a light post with the rising sun right behind it. LOL He told me that it was due west or close to it. Took him about 2 minutes to come back and ask why the sun was rising in the west!! LOL Told him the earth changed it's direction of rotation on that particular day each year. LOL He bought it and about two days later came back and gave me a well deserved cussin!! LOL The guys had been givin him heck about it since most of them were standing there when it happened!! LOL Top, you got the common ones for us aviation types. LOL

7. poppie

poppie New Member

I had a most unusual situation when I boarded my first ship. To put it discretely, (I had more than 1military record going at the same time) I boarded a Tanker as a MM3, machinest mate 3rd. class only the Capt was privy to other information.

One day my Chief sent me to the electricians for "a handfull of monkey shit" Pardon the French but that's what it was called. Naturally I assumed I was being had so I wasted more time than needed to arrive at the ET shop(electronic tecknition shop). I ask the ET Chief for a handfull of MS. and much to my surprise was actually give so stuff that was black and smelled about as bad as one would expect MS to smell!

It turns out that MS is actually HEMP PACKING and is used to protect wires running through steel bulkheads, much like we would use a rubber or neopreme seal today. Bulkheads (walls) had to maintain water tight integredity and this stuff was all but industritable! I kept a glob of it and used it for hand exercises and modeling faces for along time after that.

I have often wondered how many modern navy clows have tried smoking it since Hemp and Pot are one and the same? Bet anyone who tried got good and sick because whatever they put in it sure made it smell like MS!
    TALK ABOUT BAD BREATH? Later, Poppie

8. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Sent a newbie to the basement of the motor pool for a can of squelch for a prc 25, There was no basement!
    Sent another for a turret pulling wrench, some guys just don't know crap from apple butter! :D
    Another time we had sent a boy from Texas (called Slim) for a left handed cresent wrench after he spent the whole afternoon looking he ran across a Major who let him know just how dumb he was! Slim didn't care for us to much afterwards :cursing: (no sense of humor at all)

9. redneck_oh_44833

redneck_oh_44833 New Member

State:
    Galion Ohio
    i regularly sent new privates for a can of reflector fluid

i also got one extemly bright private to shovel a foot of snow out from in front of a d-7 dozer so that i could move it

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Was in a smoke generator outfit and was sent for a left handed smoke shifter. LOL

11. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I told one of the Marines to change the water in the drinking fountain, he was there for about 45 minutes.

Another guy in my shop told someone to go down to the welding shop so he could pick up some tire welding rods.

A buddy of mine told one of his Marines to get the keys to the jet so they start the inspection on the motors.

When I was going through feild training one of the instructors ask someone in my platoon if they knew where the keys to the hummer were at.

When I first got to my MOS school some people tried to pull a trick on me saying that I needed to IP my mattress and I had Harrier watch. LOL I didnt fall for it but I saw some other people do it.

chris

12. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Back in '68 (that is 1968 not 1868 as my kids claim <grin>) while in basic the DI asked if anyone wanted to go bowling instead of training that afternoon - the task was cleaning the toilet bowl

Another he used, he asked if anyone had a drivers license - those that did got to drive a lawn mower

13. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    sent a newbie to the hanger to pick up 100 ft of flight line

14. willisjj

willisjj Guest

We used to send the newbies to supply for a "box of grid squares".

We would give them a hammer and tell them to check for "soft spots" in the armor on the old 113 Tow vehicles. They would be out there bangin away, lol.

We would send the new guys to the platoon sergeant to ask him if he has seen a "prick E-7", lol.

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jeremy how many of us havnt seen a prick E7 LOL

16. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Very true, lol. I almost forgot that one, we used to use that one back before we switched over to the Sincgars radio, and we used the "PRC -77" which is where the "Prick E-7" comes from in case anyone wondered. It was an easy one to pull on the new guys and I probably fell for it myself but I can't remember, lol. Guaranteed butt chewing for the new guy, of course that usually went for us too because the platoon sergeant knew what was going on of course, lol.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    This isn't a newbie thing, but it should have been. Because of security, our clerk typists had to be SSGT or above. I had one come to me one day really frustrated because his carbons kept coming out black, even though he had the typewriter set to type red....the original was coming out red, but the copies were coming out black!

18. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I worked avionics on helicopters for the Marine Corps

Let's see here, probably the main two that I encountered was being asked to go to maintenance control and get 100ft of flightline.

Then there was being asked to go get a stack of 6113's(mechanics MOS codes) form the mech shop, That one hur tthe first time you made that mistake.

Then there was Christmas time on night crew (never happened to me perosnally). We were always in competition with the other shops, airframes, mechanics, etc. SO that time of year we were always in a giving mood. SO a large stack of tie-ties and duct tape, We woul dsecure a young marine in a rolling chair. Then wrap him in bubble wrap. Put a nice bow on his head and give him to another shop. :)

-Brian

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Once I was a salt we would send newbies down to the HT(Hull Tech) shop for a HT Punch LOL, and down to the BT's(Boiler Techs) for a BT Punch.

20. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    ya- the prick E-7 got me! and since i was an11-c mortar man the aiming pole light bateries was allways fun with the cherries, and some how they alway's ended up with the old nasty omlete with ham,or the corned beef hash mre's when we went to the feild