Attention: Noodler Okies

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by KATMANDETTE, Jan 1, 2008.

1. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    I have NO idea if that is proper English, but,,,,:roll_eyes:

At 10 pm EDT tonight on the National Geographic Channel, a program called "Hooked - Caught Bare Handed" will be on.

I'll be watching to see if I recognize anyone from their photoes....This is what "called me" to find this site!

Happy New Year Y'all!

Mik:wink:

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i seen it last night and i have mixed thoughts on it .
    although i do respect the courage of someone going under water and sticking their hand where one normally wouldn't , i'm left to wonder how fair that is to the fish.
    i think rod n reel is the fairest match . a catfish in a hole is hiding and
    ends up being ( in my opinion ) cornered . when a man that is not their average predater they encounter comes along ripping them out of their hole they really didnt have a fair chance to get away . but what do i know ?
    i aint got the testicular fortitude or desire to go under the water poking
    around for anything . i'm happy on land or in the middle of a boat:roll_eyes:.

wasn't real impressed with scene of a big hog bein flipped over very roughly into a boat i doubt the fin faired too well if it landed on it it would have broke under the weight and caused even more stress to this fish if it survived
    hope they ate all of those .
    to each his own i guess.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :sad2:personally I feel they should leave them alone. The only time they seem to do the Noodling is during Spawning season.
    Thats when they need to be left alone the most. The males are there protecting the nests and bam thier pulled away and therefore good chance of eggs getting eatin by preditors.There goes reproduction Just my humble opinion.
    It was a good program in all respects just didn't like that part.
    Some mighty big fish on it.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's interesting to watch,,,but i'm a coward when it comes to that stuff.

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I saw it last night and liked seeing all those big fish but I believe they should leave them alone during spawning season and any other time they should have a slot limit on them and keep them from pulling to many of them from our waters. Just my honest opinion.

:wink:

6. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    I watched it and it made me sick to my stomach, on SO many levels.

:sad2:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    One thing I must say wrong with that type of program is the sour taste it leaves in the mouth of non-noodlers. They somehow associate that program with a typical trip noodling. Let me tell you, not everyone catches fish every time they go out noodling, same as rod and reel. Not all the fish caught are as big as the ones the camera caught... they don't film the small stuff. Most noodlers are meat fisherman, fishing for the table. What they catch is not going to be released. And finally, it don't matter one whole hill of beans when a big fish is kept for the table... all the future spawns of that fish is lost... noodling, jugging, trotlining, yo-yo, limb line, or perhaps evenrod and reel, it don't matter - that fish will spawn no more.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Lol...picture this....

You're in knee deep water in a shallow riffle in a small river...there's a "rock" right there thats the size of a volkswagon protruding out of the water.

You see several "holes" going up under the rock.

You place a good sized rock at every spot where a fish could escape from after you try to grab him...effectively blocking the exits.

There's only one way in now...and one way out.

Now...to get into a good and proper position to see...see meaning stick your hand up under that rock...if there's anything in there.

You get down even with the water level...on your knees...your cheek actually in the water...as you reach into the hole as far as your shoulder will let you go...making sure to feel around the inside edges first to see if the hole is smooth or rough.

Ok...it's smooth...you proceed.

A MOST important point here is to make as quick of an assessment about what it is as soon as you touch it.

Hard and rough? Nope. Turtle. And he will bite. :confused2:

Furry? That's a bad...bad...bad thing. :eek:oooh:

Long, round, real squirmy, and scaly? Ya...you know. S-N-A-K-E! :crazy:

You feel around...side to side...nothing.

You lean your face even further into the water to reach the back of the hole....there it is....POW!!!

Something grabs your hand as quick as a rattlesnake...felt like a pair of pliers had ya!!

You recoil big time...that hurt!!!

You pull your hand out to see if anythings missing...and there is blood running down your hand.

You wonder aloud...What the hell was that???

So...in order to find out...you stick your hand back in...lol.

Reaching...reaching...hello...cold and slimy. Definately a fish.

All of a sudden...POW!!!

He got you again.

Except this time you grabbed the lower jaw...and proceeded to yank him out of his hole....skinning your elbows on the entrance...and getting a couple snorts of nasty river water in the process.

A ten pound bluecat...man it seemed bigger than that when it bit your hand.

We were noodling a riffle during the summer low water levels...the water is down...and the fish are trapped in pools under rocks...guaranteed to die when the river goes ahead and drops only another foot or two. Which is imminent during the 100 degree early August temps.

That 10 lb blue makes 7 so far...from 5 lb up to maybe 14 lb.

The above story was the very first time I was taught how to noodle by my older cousin. I was 13...he was 17.

As kids and young adults...we did lots of stuff like that...but like everything else...I grew out of it, and started rod and reel fishing almost exclusively.

We'll still set a few limb lines when we're camping to get a few eaters...and also to give us something to do between spots out in the boat.

But R/R is where it's at.

Where it's at as well is to not keep more fish than you need.

Tight lines brothers and sisters!

Good luck in '08!

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We watched it and enjoyed the show!

Seems to me to take all the fun out of fish but they probably get just as much thrill as I do when I catch one.

That's what they like and fine with me. Myself, I wouldn't be doing it for I'm not sticking my hand where I can't see and especially in water over my head. :eek:oooh:

10. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have thought about trying this but I was drunk. Then I sobered up and decided I will stick to Rod and Reel

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Oh man...it's definately "fun"...or...maybe perhaps that's not quite the right word...Lol.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, so whats wrong with this picutre. Big, strong, tall, bad man who won't noodle, but will get married three, four, five, etc. times. Which takes more intelligence. LOL

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    at least they can SEE the trouble they are fixing to get into :smile2:
    noodleing is kinda like going around the world with a blind date your drinkin buddy hooked you up with while wearing a blindfold :eek:oooh:
    ya dont know what your gonna get , and your bound to get hurt!!!!:wink:

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I don't know if I agree with the comparison. Or maybe I've just been noodling the wrong spots?? :wink:

That gnarly rootball...the one with the undercut mud bank very well might have something in it that would...and even worse...could...minus one of your digits for you. (never had that happen...or even heard of it happening...but have had some very tense situations like say the day when a beaver launched out of a hole I was in...or more often...a simple turf disagreement with thouroughly pi$$ed off snake)

If the blind date my buddy has set me up with is set to take off a finger...things are gonna get real ugly before that ever occurs...lol.

15. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I NEVER had a blind date try to take off with my finger (NO speculation about how that could happen) :crazy:
    I was allways more concerned with that darned white cane!:confused2: