Attention Missouri & Kaw river fisherman!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dougc, May 22, 2006.

1. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    You might think twice about where you access the river to fish. My plan was to get on the Missouri early Sunday morning and head up towards the KAW and possibly hook up with Bradk at some point. My buddy overslept and I had trailer wiring problems that made me late. I got to Riverfront Park about 8:15 to meet my buddy, and he says "you see that?" and I said yeah there's another truck and trailer in the parking lot. "No, the windows are smashed out." And there's two vehicles in the parking lot with suspicious looking characters. So I do a u-turn and get the heck out of there. We go to La Benite to fish. I saw a Sugar Creek P.O. and told him about it and asked him to relay the message to K.C. police. Lo and behold on the 5 a.m. news this morning, they're saying K.C. police pulled a van out of the water yesterday at Riverfront. Needless to say, I won't be going there anymore. Watch your back.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the heads up -- I've been thinking I'd put in at the ramp next to Mo 291 -- is that La Benite?

One bit of advice I picked up here on the BOC: Never leave anything in the bed of your truck that could be used to break out the windows - such as a transom saver, etc.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    You're correct, La Benite is right off of 291. It seems to be a pretty good place to put in. There is always a lot of traffic there, which probably keeps the bad guys away. Sugar Creek P.D. seems to patrol through there quite a bit. I also fish at Cooley Lake, which is the next ramp East of there. I like the area around there, but it is kind of a remote place, so you never know what could happen there.

4. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I'm pretty sure that it could have happened anywhere.
    Sounds like it was a stolen van and they were dumping it and looking for another ride.

Besides that, when things like this do happen, they seem to pick up on the patrols a bit.

I think I would have called the cops on the spot though.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Chris, the truck with the windows smashed out was somebody's ride home! I'm just glad I didn't get there early. It could have been my vehicle. The smashed windows and the stolen van were two seperate incidents in the same day.

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Well, that all sounds pretty ugly!

Where is La Benite?

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Chris, take 291 south of Liberty or north from Independence. Right in the middle.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I thought the Van they pulled out of the river was at riverfront park in Leavenworth.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The park is on the south side of the river on the downstream side of the bridge. Real nice park really a lot of bank fishing access it seems also. Kaw point has always had it's trouble. Should of called the cops on the spot though. Least I would of. Other then that you tell me one boat ramp where you should not worry some what? You are always going to have kids out wanting kicks even if your in the middle of nowhere. But yeah kaw point tends to have a history.