Attention Kaw River Anglers!

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by brad kilpatrick, Apr 15, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey Guys just wanted to give Ya all a little heads up. Kendrick(catchinbigguns) Myself and two other friends Were Enjoying a little fishing on the kansas river around the kaw point area last night. The fishing was quite slow but it was a beautiful night And We were all enjoying B.S.ing the night away. We were fishing a snag arougd a bridge abbutment when a car and a white Ford Excursion slowly came across the bridge. The car stopped and the truck kept going. After a little chinese fire drill action up on the bridge a young Latino Man (judging By his accent) came to the railing and started asking how We were doing and commenting on the nice weather, and then went and sat in the car. Getting a bad feeling about them We decided to start reeling in the rods and anchors when The White Excursion came back across the bridge, stopped at the car for a moment, and continued across the bridge stopping at the other side. Then four people ran onto the bridge and started throwing rocks at us!!!!!! and not little pieces of gravel but Large Baseball size rocks!!!!!! Luckily They couldn't quite reach the boat but did get within a couple of feet. Needless to say We hauled A$$ out of the area and stopped up stream well away from any bridges!!! This is the first trouble I've ever had fishing this area and hopefully it will be The last. All I can say is the concieled carry law won't go in effect one day too soon For this catman!!! There Will be some a gun aboard My boat from now on when I'm on the river. The rock those young men were hurling at us could have easily injured or killed someone!!!!

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Brad, I sure hate hearing that. It sounds like you guys were lucky to get out of there in one piece. What kind of person would do something like that? It's just unbelievable.

Thanks for the warning!

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Brad,
    Thats terrible to hear. I'm also glad to hear you made it out without a scratch.

I quit fishing Kaw Point a few years ago and refuse to fish it anymore. Its just in the wrong part of town for me. I fished there overnight several times and everytime I heard gun shots. The last time we seen a high speed police chase over the bridge. Plus after hearing Andrew (Fishking) say that a guy got beat up and had his truck and trailer stolen a year or 2 ago that was it for me!

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep it's in a bad area thats for sure. Glad you made it out of there ok. I keep telling my self to go to the parkville city council meetings and tell them to fix there freaking ramp. I just have not gone yet. It's the only public ramp that I know of in town that does not lock the gates. Besides kaw point.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Sorry to hear that,it stinks that your not safe anywhere.

I hear ya on the ccw,but rarely have I ever felt the need for it,just end up in more trouble.

Last few nites has been pretty driving home at nite with the full moon,tornadoes hitting tonite

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I don't believe that anythings say that you can't carry a rifle with you. I've got my .30-06 zero in. Went to the range with it and shot at 100, 200, 300, 500 yard lines. Hit black the whole time did some minor adjust got it down to a pretty tight pattern even at the 500 yard. I am going to lookin at some compact pistol on Monday, something that I can keep in my pocket with out being noticeable.

Oh yeah, made a large sling shot with some surgical tubing, its a 3man operation, I am lauching rocks, or thing of that nature around 300 yards.

chris

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Brad , Im sorry that happened , Im glad I wasnt with you and Kenny. I would have started dumpin, with my pellet rifle. :)

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

theres a real good way for some punk to get shot,i know know the first rock i would have been hit with am i would have returned fire

9. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm not so sure a person would have been able to return fire if they got hit with one of those rocks, They were BIG!!!!! We were all wishing that We Were packing Every guy in My boat That night owns guns but they were all at home. Heck Man We just wanna fish and be left alone!!! is that too much to ask??????

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    What a bunch of crap!! What some people consider "fun" is beyond me, I bet the thought that they might have seriously hurt someone never crossed their pea brains. I'm very glad to hear no one was hurt.

I've fished out of Kaw Point one time and had a good time but never did feel totally at ease, while there can be some great fishing there I think I'll stick to fishing in the boonies. Of course I feel like Bowersock is too urban:)

You all be careful down that way, and think I'd be looking for place away from bridges and the shore....................that you'd have to go to such lengths is really a sad commentary on our society:mad:

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

oh i hear ya on just wanting to be left alone to fish,some of the crap people do is just plain dumb,when i was younger i would have never done a stunt like that or know that i am older for that matter

12. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    A little freaky, especially when you're tired, I know I wish I would of had my shot gun, I need to go ahead a get my hand gun.

13. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I'm really sorry to hear that Brad. I used to fish bowerstock alot at night several years ago, I was harassed by so many homeless drunks that I do all of my fishing there in the daytime now.

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Kendrick, a little freaky Man........Dude I'm not to big of a man to admit I was quite scared!!!!! Those rocks were BIG and I wasn't sticking around to see what came Our way next (maybe bullets????) I'm pretty sure it was just some tanked up punk kids, but still you never know what kind of hatered is in another Mans Heart. We probibly should have made a report with the cops and maybe just maybe Those punks Would have got a little bit of the fear of God put in em. I hate even thinking about putting a gun on My boat....But i'm not gonna be on the 5:00 news without defending myself

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I can't have a gun in the boat when I'm on the lake..............boat rage, I'd shoot a jetski:cool:

With rocks that large, was it attemped murder?? What do they think the end result of hitting someone with a rock that size would be?? Glad no gunfire was exchanged, you are sort of a sitting duck out there in a boat...........and you will have to show back up at the ramp eventually. You all be safe out there.

16. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Charlie, if things would have escalated or if we would have seen them again i had made up My mind to call 911 and get the cops at the ramp so We could leave safely!!!! I agree thats its a sad commentary on our society That stuff like this happens.....Where are the parents???? What ever happened to teaching kids right from wrong?

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man Brad, thats a shame. I think I would have called the cops anyways. Too bad you were unable to get the license plates.

If they did it to you they have porb done it to someone else. It sounds like they had the whole thing planned out, so maybe the polcie have some sort of existing report about this.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This world is full of nasty humans, that is why I prefer the company of dogs.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If that isn't the quote of the month I don't know what it. :big_smile_2:

20. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    i'm pretty sure that in kansas that it is legal to carry a side arm as long as its not concealed(i.e. in a holster on your hip not covered by your coat) would be legal.