Attention - anchoring your boat under Ohio bridges

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ripleyhunter, Sep 5, 2006.

1. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    for those of us that like to anchor our boats around bridges on the Ohio River better find someplace else to anchor. I was under the 275 bridge and the police showed up and made me move. They said that you can get fined for it. You have to be 300 feet of any bridge if you're anchored! I never knew this. They told me it has to do with homeland security. I quees I'll keep drifting under that bridge. Hopefuuly works.

2. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    hope its not illegal in pa. we ancor under bridges all the time.... we have some really good spots under bridges

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    never gave it much thought but that does make since , they dont want you near dams for the same reasons , be bad to be cited for terorism while fishing

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I'll have to check for that law here. First that I've heard of it.Thanks for the heads up

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Times are changin.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Sure hope that is a local thing. If we can't fish near a bridge or dam, we are going to lose a LOT of good fishing spots.

7. Bengalfan79

Bengalfan79 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, KY(CincyArea)
    This is a perfect example of how the terrorists are winning. Taking away freedoms like that. If you wanted to blow a bridge up you could do it without anchoring under it. Thanks for the heads up anyway. If its a homeland security law then it may be nation wide. Were you under a major highway I'm assuming?

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just recently read that somewhere and was like "what the hell???" I used to fish under the 275 bridge by Kellogg too but it has been a few years. I wondered if they were really enforcing it. Guess so. Thanks for the heads up.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I would go and check it out. Maybe he is right but should be able to tell you the law number or something. Not just what he thinks.

10. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Found this http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/watercraft/safetips/homesafe.htm

I looked around a while and several dif. sites say the same about anchoring under a bridge. You shouldn't but if ya do be prepared to be searched/boarded. Maybe it is a kentucky law? Or a city ord. issue. Maybe you could send an email to ohio watercraft division. Should be a straight up answer from them. That or learn to cast 300 ft. :tounge_out:

11. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio

yes. it was the twin 275 bridge.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Looks like we'll have to drift bobbers in them places now.

13. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    That's the first time I heard that.

14. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    that really sucks. and yes 275 bridge is one of the biggest going from OH to KY.

15. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I don't think that I'll worry about it until they come out and tell me to move. I was under a "city" bridge just the other day for 4 hours, and nobody said a thing. I've not even heard of anyone else being told to move from under a bridge.
    Hopefully this won't become a problem for those of us that are just plain 'ol honest and PROUD AMERICANS !!!

16. BiGgAmE

BiGgAmE New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    So that is a federal law then?

17. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thanks for the info will have to check it out

18. bigjohn513

bigjohn513 New Member

one thing to keep in mind when your under a brige is the barges can't see you with radar, the reason for this is the bridge makes a "shadow" on the radar screen...keep it in mind during the foggy nights

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That sure sucks for yall that fish under bridges, hopefully the laws will change back.

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I was checking out the waters below a dam in Ga. The US Engineers showed up to chase us off due to possible "terrorist"! Ok they showed up in two seperate SUVs and had us on camera and they did go through their SUVs to get us some literature on the Parks and Rivers there.

The sad part is that neither had any weapons on them or in the SUVs...RRRRRRR....our tax dollars hard @ work!!!!!!!!! I guess they would have to call 911.....RRRRRR!!!!!

:choler: