Attention all fathers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatAngler, Dec 30, 2007.

1. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    At what age did you start teaching your sons (or daughters) to start using casting reels? I've been thinking about starting to teach my two oldest sons (ages 8 & 10) how to use them this winter while we have some down time. Any & all input would br greatly appriciated.

J

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive let my oldest cast mine a couple of times he did alright but if Im going to do it right I will have to get a shorter rod. He was able to cast it ok but a 7 foot rod is a little big IMO. I have a small baitcaster that was my Dads if I get him a 5ft rod for it I think he would do ok. And it would teach me more about casting them since it does not have any brakes or anything like that.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Just keep your patients and it will be very rewarding.
    Set the casting break to prevent back-lashes and go to town. Once they get the hang of it start backing the break off little by little till they can do it and your good to go. Times like these spent with your son's will be fond memories for all three of you. My Dad taught me when I was 5yrs old and I will never gorget that time we spent together, LOL!!!

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My kids, a boy@6, and a girl@9 have been fishing with me pretty much since day one. My son started casting at 4 yrs old and my daughter was prolly the same age. I gave them a rod out in the yard an let them have at it. They seemed to learn faster just doing it on their own vs. me telling them what they are doing wrong. But kids are kids and it don't take them long to see them off looking around instead of fishing, LOL.

-Jim-

Oh, btw they are using spinning reels, not the closed face button reels.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    by age 6 my son was casting and catching fish with a baitcaster reel.hes 28 now and has gone back to mostly spining reels.he thinks that if a can out cast me he can outfish me.not

6. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Thanks for the quick responses guys!!!!:cool2: Obviously patients is key & I like the idea of using a shorter rod at first. Both of my boys started fishing as soon as they could walk & cast excellent with spinning reels. I'm looking foward to teaching them how to use casting reels.

J

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea thats what i was hopeing to shoot for 5 or 6 the sooner the better. my 2yr old is stubborn when it comes to reeling. when its his pole and theirs a fish on it and dad wants him to reel he wants to walk backwards to bring it in, but when its dads pole and dad wants to tye on a new leader or something he wants to reel like a pro.:roll_eyes:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Any time you are ready to teach them. :wink: Sounds like you are well under way with it, my daughter (now 8, going on 28 lol) started with the zebco 33 at 4 and last summer was her 1st go at the Bait caster (because mom wasn't doing so well with it) LOL, she asked me to teach her while mom was at work so when we were fishing she could "show mom" :big_smile: Like all have said and you well know, a shorter rod will help I feel, I just bought a cheap spool of line, spooled up the reel and added a casting plug, showed her the basics, had her repeat them to me, and left her in the back yard with the radio, after 5 nest and 1 re-spool of new line she has it down pretty good, only problem is I have lost the use of a caster, lol. I KNEW SHE WAS completely sold on them after the 6th nest it was a bad one, and she sat out in the yard for 90 minutes or better, digin and picken at the nest until she got it out :big_smile:. Just remember (sure you know) when it is time to "throw rocks" then throw them rocks, more younguns are turned off of fishing and the outdoors because of Bad Teachers than any other reason........ Their way is going to be a little or a lot different than yours.

9. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Thanks again guys! Looks like the training will begin tomorrow. I'll report back on the progress.

J

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I'm still teaching the wife how to use one...lol
    A friend of mine taught me about 15 yrs ago and my kids aren't even interested in trying a baitcaster. I'll keep working on them though.

:wink:

11. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I started taking my kids fishing before they could walk. soon as they could hold a pole i got them thier own. my son is 42 and loves fishing.I started taking him when he was 3 weeks old. my daughter never did like it. I took her at 3 days old. have had to catch my son by the seat of his pants many times to keep a fish from draging him in. Caught the devil if i tried to help him. He could do it.

12. Roy Huber

Roy Huber New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ibought my grand son one of those snopy poles/ real when he was 2. That was the best thing I did. He probley didnot start untill 3 but I put the rubber casting plug on it and he would cast it in the house. He is 8 years old now and I went through 5 of those types of poles. He could cast across to yard really good at 4 years old and he loves to FISH. This last year he wanted a cat-fish pole so I got him a Rino and put 20 lb Cajubn line and all he wants to do is go catfishung. For Christmas all he wanted was a Big takle box like mine... Well he got it and wants to go to Santee and get some cats....

I am really glade he enjoys spending time with me and enjoys fishing so much... Maybe he will be the next Catfish King...... Start them young and maybe they will be on the water and not on the streets or in front of the TV....:big_smile:

13. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I haven't been able to get my wife away from a zebco 33 and my grandson I don't get to see him all that much so he's still using a 33 too.

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I started with a zebco reel when I was 4. Then eventually graduated to spinning equipment. Now that Im a first time father, I cant wait to get her out on the water. She's got 3 years and 5 months to go before I can start her out like her pop.

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    My Dad was hopelessly inept with a casting reel...he had a couple, but never used them.

Like kids do, I sorta made one "mine"...it was a Shakespere, direct drive, no drag, no freespool, braided nylon line big enough to tie a boat up with.

I was a little gearhead, and took that thing apart and reassembled it constantly, probably before I could actually cast it. Cleanest reel in the Western Hemisphere.

I eventually taught myself to use it, and caught my first bass on it, with a Heddon River Runt.

Good times...:big_smile:

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have been fishing with my daughter since she was about four. More or less I would get a fish hooked and she would reel it in. She is now 6 and starting to learn the whole casting thing. Don't start them out on an open face reel the push button type is the easiest for them to learn. My daughter has a barbie and spongebob pole(she picked them out) although the spongebob pole is pretty cool. Want she wants now is the pole that shoots the lure and bobber out, think its called the rocket pole or something like that.

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Regardless of what reel set up they use, make sure it's fun. I raised 3 boys and you'll give up alot of fishing workin with a kidlet, but it's worth every second of it. My 3 knuckleheads always thought it was a big competition but each learned to cast and somehow the youngest has a knack his older brothers just don't have. Remember make it fun and ya can't get the boat out of the yard without them loadin up.

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I learned to cast an Ambassadeur 4500 c I got for Christmas when I was 7 years old. I taught myself...as grandpa didn't care for baitcasters.

By summer I was tearing up the local bass ponds.

My daughters haven't yet learned to use a baitcaster...but they are all proficient at operating a spinning rod.

Really tho...my 7 year old girl is the only one of 5 that actually wants to go fishing anymore. (Dang cell phones, video games, and snotty city friends)

I was patient with my instruction to her...as mentioned before...when its time to catch minnows or frogs along the edge of the pond or pit with the livewell net...then its time to help her.

A positive and spontaneous experience is important to keep a young kids short term interest satisfied.

Just be sure to bring lots of mini candy bars, jerky, bubble gum, and m and m's...and nobody gets hurt...lol. :wink:

19. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I started my son at age 3 he wanted to go fishin with dad so i took him,i didnt fish too much that day but he caught his first bream ,he was so excited about it ,i had it mounted and he still has it hung on his wall,hes 18 now and still dont miss the chance to go fishin with me...I am very thankful to have a son that still wants to hang out with dad..

20. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My son is only 2, cant wait till he gets a little older, I would say in a year he'll be fishing some with daddy...Another fews years before the bait caster though.