Attacked in the darkness

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by crazycat1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    During a hunt last October in a treestand high above the ground I heard a very familiar noise. It was one of my feathered friends known as an owl. I love to replicate noises I hear so I made a hoot back at him. A few minutes later I heard the same owl only a lot closer, so I made yet another hoot.
    In total darkness I can hear the owl flying in my general direction and land on a tree in front of me. Now the sun is starting to light the sky and I can see his siluette. He made a hoot and stared into my eyes. I made the most realistic hoot I have ever heard made by a human and watched. This thing flew straight at my face. In defense I raised my arms to scare him.
    The owl landed on a branch behind me about 13 feet away. I heard a noise on the forest floor beneath me and took my eyes off of hime for 1 second and that was all it took. He drilled me in the back of the head.:eek:oooh:
    Now I was not only pd-off, but dazed. :confused2: It felt like a 65 mph baseball hitting me when I least expected it. I could now feel the droplets of blood running down my neck.
    I am not going to lie, I wanted to shoot the little creature with my bow. I placed the fiberoptic sights of my bow on him and was going to release when he just suddenly flew away. He was definately lucky, for if he hadn't I would have definately killed him.
    After the hunt concluded for the day I examined the mask I was wearing and it bore the tell-tale signs of a horrific attack. This is funny, however I was 20 plus feet in the air with no harness. This could have definately ended tragic. Definately glad it did not. Upon inspection of my head I had three deep puncture wounds. One of which should have had stitches.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    That is quite a story. Thankfully you were not hurt any worse than you were.

Mother Nature has an uncanny way of teaching us lessons and I think this was one meant for you to learn from.

I would say it was more lucky for YOU than even the owl that he flew away unharmed since you, not the owl, caused the attack which could have cost you an eye or more had he attacked your face and not the back of your head.

Being a raptor that bird is federally protected and illegal to kill. It could have cost you the loss of hunting privileges for your lifetime and the loss of your equipment if you had killed him and got caught.

Thankfully the attack did not cause you to lose balance and fall from the tree and possibly cause serious injury to yourself.

Hope your future hunting trips are better and more enjoyable for you and the critters you are not hunting.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Unless you speak Owl you can't be sure you didn't call him something bad when you were hooting at him.
    You were the one messing with him in his territory. The fact that he nailed you is really no justification for wanting to kill him.
    Actually you should thank him for the safety lesson:
    Don't piss off wild animals while 20 feet up a tree with no harness:roll_eyes:
    ...W

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Don't you think it was a bit foolish not to have a harness on ... more hunters killed each year in the U.S. from falls, with no harness, than killed from shootings ..... Just my opinion .. Garry-

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul thanks for sharing an interesting story. It was your lucky day. Was that a mating call you were using?:smile2:

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing that story. I have never heard of an owl attcking someone. Being an avid turkey hunter, we use the owl call as a locator for toms in the pre-dawn. When the male turkey hears this owl hoot, he lets out a gobble, thus giving away his location. I too use my mouth instead of a manufactured call. I have had owls to swoop down above my head, but never actually attack. I will be more alert from now on.:crazy:

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Makes you wish you had an enterpreter to tell you what you said to him. Probably something about his mother, or manhood. LOL. Question is, will you do it again???

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I'am still wondering how you heard the owl fly :wink:Since they fly silently because of the shape of there wing's

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Maybe he had Rabies,,,,,

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Who the hunter or the hunted :smile2:

11. jmjackson333

jmjackson333 New Member

State:
    Spencer, O
    Next time don't be so slow on the trigger on that "flying coyote"!!!!

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You lucky man. Owl strikes are not uncommon. Most usually occur during nesting season, esp when young birds are in the nest, rarely just protecting eggs. Most probably there was a nest not far away if it was nesting season. Or it could have been just a territorial thing.

If this were a horned owl the strike would have continued. The impression I have is that it was not a horned owl. Horned owls can scalp ya. They dig in and don't let go while also beating you with their wings.

These owls can take down turkeys, small dogs and cats. Have had my share of experiences with them. Here I cannot shoot them or disturb them, I however have been told by the DNR that they won't come looking for me unless told that that has happened. The loss of wildlife to these increasing large numbers of large owls is decimating the populations of upland game birds and rabbits in this area. They and the coyotes compete for the same food product with the exception of fawns and the coyotes have full claim to them.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am glad things turned out ok, but honestly that is one of the funniest stories I have heard yet!:smile2::smile2::wink::0a33:

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    LMAO!!! Hey, you can't say you didn't ask for it!:wink:

Glad ya didn't tumble!

It's the yellow jackets and blue jays I have trouble with.:smile2:

15. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For any of the tree huggers out there that read this and think why would he think of harming this adorable little creature? He was quite viscious. I am well aware of the fact that owls are protected in this state and that is the ONLY reason I did not pull the trigger. I would have had to claim self defense and go from there. This owl was about 18 inches of pure fury and let me tell you it was pretty crapy to get attacked. This however in hindsight is one of the funniest things to ever happen to me...:smile2:

16. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I have had them come uncomfortably close a couple of time when calling coyotes.

17. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I had something simular happen to me this year. My 8yr. old grandson
    and I were in a box blind on 16' 4x4 legs watching a big game patch.
    When we got in the box blind I noticed pellets in the floor where a bird
    of prey had thrown up hair and bone but I have seen that many times.
    And did not think much about it. At dusk I saw a big barn owl flying
    across the game patch and then it set its wings and I could tell it was
    coming in the front window of the box blind. I did not want that owl in
    that 4'x4' box blind with us so I caught it at the window with my right
    hand and covered my grandsons eyes with my left hand hoping to protect
    my grandsons eyes. Lucky for me I had on gloves and the window was
    small, I was forcing the owl backwards and he was flopping trying to
    keep his balance. He left and had taken my glove with him in his talons.
    He landed in a tree about 20' from the blind and started popping his
    beak at us. He was a mad, mad, owl. He flew from the tree back toward
    the blind and I thought he was going to try it again but he landed on top
    and did a little war dance up there. He finally left and we did not see him
    anymore. I was worried that he might swoop at us when we were climbing
    down but he didn't. He was never seen the rest of the season. As you say
    its funny now but it was sure scary then. My grandson will remember it
    forever.

18. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I've went fishing with one of my buddies one time just gettin ready to go, reeling in and an owl swooped down and grabbed the baitfish... yes he got hooked! Man those things are some good fighters:smile2:

19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I didn't realize they were that aggressive...:eek:oooh:...I love to sit on my back porch in the summer because there are always a few of them in the back yard screeching at each other. They are definatley some neat lookin animals.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was sitting on the bank of the Kansas River a couple of years ago, late at night, just kind of halfway dozing off. It was cold out, and I was wearing a heavy coat with the hood up. Suddenly I heard a "whoosh whoosh whoosh" and saw something in my peripheral vision that was coming toward me. I had just a fraction of a second to squish down a little lower in the chair before it touched the top of my hood... and then it landed 10 feet away on a pile of rocks. I sat there for a few seconds watching the big owl while I sorted out what happened, then started to reach for my camera. With that he took off across the river and was gone.

My best guess is that I was sitting there motionless, and the owl thought that I looked like a good perch over the river, at least until I moved at the last second.