Attacked by bats!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by psychomekanik, Jul 26, 2008.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    O-k let's start off by saying I really didn't know where to post this thread. 2 of my buddies and I were fishing Lake Mingo in a county park here in vermilion county. Josh and Tommy. Tommy was in the middle of the boat sitting on a cooler, and Josh was in the front. we were anchored above the submerged trees in about 15 foot of water. Josh had a snag he wanted to get out when we left that spot. so, we pulled up anchor, and he was pulling us towards the snag with his pole. it was snagged next to a big tree that was sticking out of the water. I got in front of him to break it off or pull his line out as we got right above it. I reached out and grabbed the tree as the bow of the boat bumped into it. a landslide of loose bark and brown bats landed in the front of the boat at my feet. like a five foot section of loose bark broke loose. they paused just long enough for me to say UH-OH and they took flight. DIRECTLY AT MY FACE! I kid you not, there were HUNDREDS of them. I was boxing like ceasar chavez trying to keep things off of me. one came right at my face, I leaned back and swatted it. its wings spread out and landed right in Tommy's face He was already laying flat on his back on the cooler. he turned and rolled out of the way just in time to recieve another to his back. he knocked it off and turned around to say something and got another one to the neck and shoulder. I was'nt doing it on purpose. I just didnt have time to direct where I was swatting them. None of us were bitten. and there was no harm done. (except for the 20 dead bats in the boat) but the water was full of bats swimming right back to the boat. I pushed us off away from the tree and another swarm came at us. the boat was crawling with them and they were climbing up the sides and the back of the boat. after we got the boat cleaned out, and threw the pile of dead bats overboard it was funny. but not till it was over. I'll remember Tommy with a bat spread eagle on his face looking him square in the eyes. to the day I die!! we laughed so hard that day my sides hurt and I could'nt breathe. Josh asked him "did you get a good look at it"? "was it a male or female"? I can't tell you what tommy's reply was but it was so funny I about puked laughing! by the way, we didnt get a single bite that day, and It was hott. but, It was one of the most rememborable times I've had in my boat to this day..

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Holy cow! :crazy: That has to be one of the craziest experiences I've ever heard of! :eek:oooh: I think I would have crapped my pants! :wink:

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I ain't never heard nothing like that. Maybe you should have tried bats for bait.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I did. LOL

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I did that too. I put one on a jug and let it float till we left. nothing hit it. Nothing was biting that day either though. also when we threw the dead ones overboard, something came up and hit one of them as they were floating away.

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i havent laughed this hard in years!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Wheres the Vidio camera when you need it.Sounds like you all got real lucky no one was bit or scratched.Good story !!

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lmao. i can think of a few replys that might have came close.:smile2:

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    They werent were wolves bats were they??? :wink: