Attacked ! Almost...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salthart, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went to the home of an old friend on Saturday. We used to spend a great deal of time playing bluegrass but he started playing blues and I started hunting and fishing like there was no tomorrow.
    We keep in touch and even pick together now and then. I have even gone so far as to aquire a flying "V" (Need a good Tele)and a few amps in an atempt (maybe futile) to lay down a blues rhythm.

Anyway, I went to visit and my old buddy has gotten himself a new friend. This friend walked up, stood on his hind legs and placed a paw on either shoulder. Looked me in the eye and growled !

This dog was a brendle American Mastiff Puppy ! Looks a good deal like a Great Dane. 150 lbs and over a year of growing left.

It seems that this normaly friendly dog don't like his paws held and when he put them on my shoulders, the first thing I did was grab them. And so he bites (Lightly thank goodness ) my thumb. I doing so, he was surprised to learn that some thumbs bite back. He found his lower jaw pinned to the same hand that held his paw that ticked him off to start with and he was not a happy camper.

Now all this happened in just a few seconds. And at this point, even being 11 months old, this dog can do a huge amount of damage. And he and I were on the edge of going one way or the other.

The dog had the atvantage being he was the pet of a friend and I had no wish to hurt him. But I had even less wish to allow him to hurt me. Just in time my buddy, without knowing what all had happened turned and saw his huge dog on me and called him down. And so, I didn't have to do anything.

But I can't help but wonder what if... It you had been me, and if my friend hadn't called the dog, what would you have done ?

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I would have gotten the underwraps followed by a quick hip toss followed by an armbar until the dog tapped out or the owner broke it up before his new freind loss the usage of a front leg LMAO!!!

"KILL OR BE KILLED"

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Went to the store and got new underwear. LOL! Sounds like ya were'nt properly introduced to the dog.

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    He probably just wanted a big kiss. :messed:

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    First thing I would have done is kneed him. One of the best ways to teach a dog to not jump up on you and a great way to break their concentration if they are already up on you. Given his size your knee should hit him in the mid-section without causing any real damage. (Note, excessive force can break a dog's ribs and should only be used in situations where you fear a truly dangerous attack)

The other major important thing to do is to advise this owner to properly socialize this dog with strangers while he is still young and to work on teaching the dog to not jump up on people when they come in.

Mastiffs are wonderful dogs but really need to be socialized and taught at least basic obedience from an early age especially if they were separated from the rest of the litter prior to 8 weeks of age.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Excellent advice, Barb. The only thing I could add is I have found that stepping on their toes works also. As with the knee to the body, be careful how much force. Actually, getting a dog to stop jumping on you is one of the easiest things to train.

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I would have sold the dog to a Chinese restaurant.