Attack at Roosevelt

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by SilencedMajority, May 28, 2006.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Did my first trip to Roosevelt Sat night after martinman hooked me up with a good location. I fished about 200 yards downstream of the diversion dam, it was such a mess of people down there we had to hike quite a ways to get a spot. Using cut sunfish, live sunfish and waterdogs didn't get a run, but that wasn't the worst part of the trip. Got there about 7pm, and about 11pm some drunks across the river thought it would be hilarious to snag our lines. They could barely stand and after 10 minutes of trying they got hold of one of my rigs, they were laughing and hoohawing until i hanked my rod to snap their puny line. We did nothing to deserve this, except be decent people without a beer among us out there fishing. After that incident, they started throwing rocks! I mean, throwing rocks straight at us! It was insane and i had a mind to go kick their butts but I tried to call the forest service, but my cell was dead. We tried to plead to the guys to leave us alone, but in their drunked stupor they felt they needed to terrorize me and my buddies. After my friend got smashed in the shin by a big rock, we decided we had to leave. I left with a new hatred of the "party people" that frequent our fishing spots set on causing havoc. Worst night I had fishing, I will always think again before I head out fishing on a "party" weekend.

2. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That must have sucked man

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sorry to hear about your luck man.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Some people just need a good ole whoopin just to set them right. But leaveing might have just been the right thing to do. Personally I don't think I would have put up with it one bit. Im one of those types of people with a really short temper for morons like that.

5. AllenM

AllenM Guest

One more reason it's always a good idea to take a high powered air rifle when fishing!! :hell_boy:

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    What a time for a wrist-rocket and some ball bearings.

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Good thing you walked away. I don't think I could have.

8. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That would have been a tough one to walk away from especially with the way the guys I fish with take stuff like that. I'm the biggest of us but they get mad alot quicker than I do. That is also one reason I try to always fish from a boat at Roosey. Just a bunch of idiots so try not to let it keep from the lake. If there is any way possible fishing from a boat is the only way to go. When you run into people out there then they are normally there for one reason and that is fishing. Might be a little partying goin on but you can bet they won't be acting like those a**clowns. Sorry you had to go through something like that. Wish we would have been down there you can bet it wouldn't have went on very long.

9. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That does not surprise me in the least. had guys come up late on a hole I was on 2 years ago up there and cast right over me. I nicely told them I was right there. 3 of them - got real lippy of course the smallest one. I am about 6'5" 260 and was about to whoop some ass and throw him in the dam river when I realized why he was being so tough. He had a gun on him. I was pretty sure I was about a second away from getting it pulled on me. Anyways here is what I have taken from that experience. 1) Try to go when there will not be huge crowds. 2) Try not to make a bad situation worse. 3) I always bring my Glock with me whenever I go out. It's pretty sad I would never be an aggressor or threaten someone but the reality is it only takes one ass----the middle of nowhere to go after you. I have a very strong suspicion the creeps I ran across were meth heads as well just by their mannerisms. It is truly shame people like that are allowed to enjoy great spots like this. The sad thing is I would stack that stretch of water agianst anywhere for quality of fish. Protect yourself take the steps necessary to have a safe enjoyable trip and return home to your family in one piece. I would really like to see better law enforcement there keeping this creeps out of there because Ipromise you most of these jerks are methhead locals rule type of folks. Sorry for your experience good job not escalating the situation. People that act this way will at some point get beat within an inch of their life and get their just desserts. Sad to hear the story. :angry:

10. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That is one reason we always try to go on a weeknight not always an option but we try to plan it that way. Sundays are always quiet. All the party animals are too worn out and hopefully home by then. Of course it helps when your off on Mondays like me!!! :big_smile:

11. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    in light of this situation i already had booked a pontoon for rental next friday night from the roosevelt marina. I am retiring from shore fishing the river. First time by boat catman so any tips on motoring up on the mouth or lower stretches of the river would be greatly appreciated. I am obviously not familiar with fishing by boat here so any help would be a lot of help. Thanks Cactus Cat.

12. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    We usually go up the salt as far as we can and try and find shallow water next to some deeper pools. Does the 'toon your renting have electronics by chance? If it does then you want to anchor up on the upriver side of the deeper water say 10' foot of water. We normally try to use 'gills and small carp but if you can't catch them then get the biggest waterdogs you can buy. I haven't made it down yet this spring so I can't give you any recent reports. We are thinking about a trip down next week. You will love fishing out of the pontoon. Nothing compares to it when it comes to fishing at night. Sure makes for some fun nights!!! Good luck and let us know how you did.

13. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I sure will I appreciate the quick reply where do you suggest I get dogs from and where do you get bait on the lake picking boat up at 4 from marina think that is enough time? No electrinics though. Just out of curiosity was your 65 from Roosey? Well done thanks again.

14. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Cactus Cat where will be coming from to get to Roosey? If your in the valley I'm sure there are a few places that sell dogs. We normally take my bass boat and use it to catch our bait during the afternoon but with the heat that can get brutal at times. The cove that is by the day area up the Tonto end from the dam is always good for bluegills and the carp are just were u find them. The problem with carp is catching them small enough to use but in my opinion they are the best bait just because they live longer while hooked. The 'gills are about the right size around 3 or 4 inches. You will catch bigger but they don't seem to last very long so we never have kept them, but after reading some posts on this sight about using fillets I think this year I will fillet them as soon as we catch them, ice them down and use as cut bait. And yes the 65 is from Roosey caught in Aug. of last year on a carp. If you go to the photo section and look in the popular section you can see pic's of an incredible night of catfishing. Don't think we will be able to top it but we are going to keep trying!!! Sorry forgot to add that you usually buy dogs at the bait stores in Tonto Basin. Being from N.Az we just catch our own when we can.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Dang that sucks man, that might have called for casting the surf rods across the body of water with an 8 ounce weight!:crazy:

Another reason I hate it when people get drunk while fishing or on the water, it's stupid.

16. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am coming from east valley catman. What do you think would be best spot for dogs?

17. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I like to hit up Liars Korner(On Main East of Ellsworth) for waterdogs and tackle, they seem to have alot of stuff for the flatties and the guys that run the shop always offer good info to cat chasers. Other than that in E. Valley, Bear Mountain Tackle and Archery(On Southern West of Stapley) has got nice waterdogs that are usually larger but they don't offer as good a selection of catting tackle. Whenever I get waterdogs in town before i head out i always ask them to throw some ice in there, keep the dogs cold so they'll live the longest.

18. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You need to get an ice chest and buy one of the battery powered aerators and set you up a bait tank. Works well for the 'gills and carp too!! Do a search on this site and there is a ton of info on bait tanks both permanent and portable.

19. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    @$$h#les, there's one in every crowd

20. Cactus Cat

Cactus Cat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Catman I have a baitank I coverted a cooler it has the entire pump amd aerator in it. Has adapter to plug into my vehicle cig lighter. Works great. I am pumped will make sure and give a good report.