Attaching Hooking Bluegill with toothpick?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Ralph in MO, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Ralph in MO

Ralph in MO New Member

In an earlier post there was a suggestion on attaching live bait (bluegill) to your hook and line with the aid of a toothpick. I was wondering if someone could explain this in more detail to make sure I'm understanding the procedure. I believe the intent was to better secure the bluegill so it wouldn't fall off during the cast. If anyone can explain that procedure in detail or provide a diagram, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ralph

2. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Ralph, if it's the method I'm thinking of, you make a small slit in the skin of the baitfish and insert a piece of toothpick under the skin, parallel to the fish. Slide it all the way in one direction, then push it over to split the difference, half the toothpick on one side of the slit, half on the other. Basically, you want the slit now in the center of the piece of toothpick. Then you insert your hook behind the toothpick.
    Rat

3. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Boy, and I thought this was a recipie. You know, fillet the gill, roll it, run a toothpick through it, boil, cool, and serve with cocktail sauce. Shows what I know.:rolleyes:

Ray

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ralph, Welcome to the BOC!!!

Though I have never tried it, it seems like a great idea. Thanks for posting this question and I hope to be able to help you in the future.

5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Ralph, I've got a magazine around here somewhere with a piece on using toothpicks, but I can't find the darn thing. I've gone through about a hundred so far and no luck. If I find it, I'll let you know. It'll probably have a more in-depth set of instructions.
    Rat

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Q. Why do blue gills have tooth picks? A. To get the crickets out of there teeth !:D :D