Attaching braided line to mono

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by MAX1955, Feb 19, 2009.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    When using mono line as a backing when putting braid on your reel is it necessary to tie the two lines together.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Yes. Use a uni-knot.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  4. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is using mono backing on reel common practice with braid? I was wanting to try some power pro this year for the first time. I know it would be cheaper then filling a big reel with braid, but how many yards of braid do you like per reel?

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Rob, IMO I use 50lb berkley big game hi-test as a backing on all of my reels.
    3 Abu 6000 With 65lb powerpro, 3 Abu 6500 with 80lb power pro,3 Abu 7000ic3's with 100lb power pro.

That I use on different Trips depending on the fish or lake I am fishing for.

I use around enough line to cover the spool core to where I can't see any metal.

Then I just spool the Reels like normal about an 1/8 of an inch from the top of the spool.

I use the 50 pound mono as a backer as it has I bigger dia but it is not to big the hi-test has a Dia of .027 about as small as they sell for 50 pound test.

It seems to me that I can feel 3 abu 6000 or abu 6500's with a 300 yard spool. or about 40.00 and will last about 2 years

Hope this helps if you need anymore just ask:smile2::wink:

It also helps keep the braid from slipping on the reel.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
  7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks for all your help, this will be the first time I've ever used braided line (power pro).

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Obviously, you want enough braided line on your reel so that you never get to the backing when you're casting, but you also have to consider that every so often, you're going to want to cut a foot or two off the end of your braided line to get rid of the worn section. Personally, I like to have about 150 yards of braided line on my reel. And I like to have my reel full, because that makes for the greatest distance when casting. So, how to figure out how much backing to put on??? Simple. Wind the braided line on the reel, then wind on backing till the reel is properly full. Uh, it's backards! Take two pieces of broomstick or dowel, each a foot or so long, and drill holes in the ends just a little smaller than the diameter of 20p nails. Take 4 20p nails, cut off the heads, and drive them into the ends of the sticks, just enough so that they're nice and firm, leaving most of the nail exposed. Attach the free end of the backing line to the stick, and using an electric drill, wind off all of the line, both backing and braided. Remove that stick from the drill and put the other stick in. Attach the free end of the braided line to the stick in the drill. Use the drill to wind the line from one stick to the other. Hold the stick that's not in the drill by the two nails and it can spin freely. Finally, attach the free end of the backing line to the reel and wind the line onto the reel. You will now have the backing on the bottom, where it belongs. Quick, easy, and without snarls.

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't use any backer on my reels. I want as much "usable" line on a reel as I can get. I put a couple of wraps of black electrical tape on the spool and the just spool up like I would with any other line. I can pack just about 150 yards of 80# Power Pro on each of my 6600s. At the end of the year when I tear my reels down to clean them I reverse the line. I only have to use Jerry's method on the last one, though. I empty one reel onto a dowel and then just move the line from one reel to another to reverse it. The last reel gets the line that I had to move between two dowels to get it reversed right.

I just picked up a 1500 yard spool of Power Pro to do the 3 7000s I got. Same reason as above - I bought the bigger reels to hold more line for fishing heavier current. If I went to a heavy mono like 40# I'd only have as much line on it as I would a 6600 packed with braid. I should be able to get 300 yards or so of 80# Power Pro on each 7000.

I'm also paranoid about tying braid to mono. Pretty sure no matter what kind of knot you use that braid is going to cut that mono like a knife through butter if it gets much pressure on it. If I get a fish on big enough to take enough line that I'm down to the backer, I don't want to be betting on a braid/mono splice. Paranoid, I know, but I just can't help it, especially after seeing about a third of a spool of line left on a 6600after a real good cast :smile2:

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I should probably have mentioned this, although I'm sure most people reading it will know.

I strip the line from the first reel onto a dowel and disassemble and clean it, then put the line from the next reel onto that one after it's clean. That way I'm not monkeying around with a full spool when I'm working on the reel and it makes a nice kind of assembly line process for cleaning and checking the action of the reel as I'm reeling the line back on it.

For the last reel I do like Jerry says and chuck a dowel in a drill and wind the line sitting on a dowel on to the one in the drill to get the "used" portion of the line on top. Then I tie the line that's on the second dowel onto the reel and spool it up, putting the "fresh" line on top. Helps if you have a wife or kid handy to hold th dowel:wink:

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also use electrical tape on the spool and then fill with #65 power pro. I don't have enough confidence tying a uni to uni knot. I use 6500 and 7000 abu with #65 power pro. I don't know how far I cast, but I only use 12' rods and the 6500 reels don't seem to have a whole lot of line left after the cast. I would like to put a little backing on the 7000, but the confidence thing keeps me using tape and a full spool of power pro. Good luck.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That's one of the handy things about having a nail in each end of the dowel. If there's no one handy to hold it, you can hold it between your feet...but be sure to wear good solid shoes. :eek:oooh: