Atlatl

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by badkarma, Nov 14, 2005.

1. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    The Pa. Game Commission is drafting the proposed reg. to alow hunters to use the Atlatl and darts to take deer.What do you guys think of this idea?

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Oh great-

Another high priced "old technology" item for rich city slickers to injure but not successfully kill an animal with!

Yeah, we need another one of these tools!

I work for a game ranch guiding hunts on the side..... you cant tell me that the average buyer for this item will be anything other than weekend warriors with a hard one to prove that they can get more "rustic" than the next city slicker weekend warrior. The problem with this is that the one that loses is the wild animal that unknowingly is the guinea pig for the bozo who thinks he is a freaking aborigine from friday to sunday and a middle management nut with a Ted Nugent complex the rest of the week.

I think with this atlatl as well as with bowhunting that the shooter better prove he is deadly and consistent befor he or she steps on so much as a blade of grass with the intent to use that as a weapon. In probably 300 hunts I have guided with a bow and arrow, I'd say 70% or more dont know their weapon well enough to place a single deadly shot the first time.

We had a fellow call the ranch one time wanting to hunt dressed as a gladiator, and with a trident and a net as weapons, and to have a buddy videotape him doing it... My dad's reply, "No, Retardicus. We dont do that."

I think people need to think about the end product. You want to kill an animal, do it safely and efficiently and quit screwing around with outdated technology. All theyre doing is putting superficial holes in a living animal and calling yourself Tarzan in a modern world, but you aint fooling anyone else but themselves.

Just my opinion.

Sal

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I agree with this part, as most of the guy’s pushing for such items to be pasted or city boys.

As far as the animal being the looser there again your right on that one also, and as far as 70% of them not knowing there bow well enough to place a deadly shot the first time. Well it is not just the bow, it is the rifle also. I have a lease on 400 acres and will not let any one hunt it. I hunted with people from work twice and wound up with holes in my organ vest twice, thank god they were bad shots.

As far as the nut case wanting to hunt dressed as a gladiator, well you should of set him up on a mountain lion or bear hut. People that stupid just don’t belong in the jean pool.

Just my 2 cents worth.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I prefer the idea of using a 'pumpkin chunker' for deer hunting. You might not get much penetration with a pumpkin, but you certainly have a lot of knockdown power.

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Thanks guys!! That's my thinking too. 20 odd years ago I made an atlatl and the darts and I can say after throwing darts for some months that it's a lot harder to do right than a bow so I think that most of the people who hunt with a atlatl will miss or wound and lose the deer.