Atchison Fishermen?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by jmanion8, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody do any fishing on the Missouri in Atchison? How about any pond fishing in Atchison? I go to Benedictine and I've been trying to find some new places to fish, figured someone on here would know best! Thanks for any help.

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Justin welcome. I do not get up that way anymore since the family sold the lake house. But I have fished the Mo a lot and have had some good luck. We mostly fished the area there under the brigde and just north of it there at the park area. Also might look in to fishing the state lakes there and check out Warnock lake. Casey (Rush 60) on here is from that area and fishes that way more than I do any moe so he might be able to help out more. Good luck and get out and fish, might also try up around St. Joe and the White Cloud on the Mo too.

3. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Justin, welcome to the BOC.

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Justin, Welcome to the BOC!. I live about 15 minutes north of atchison. Would love to go fishing with you sometime. If you hurry up and get 10 post I can then send you Private messages and we can plan this out.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Welcome to the BOC Justin...

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Justin.

7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I lived in Atchison for a few years. Warnock used to be awesome for bluegils and channels but they drained it a couple years ago for dam work. The Atchison state lake is awesome for channel cattin. As far as numbers of channel cats it is one of the best lakes around and there are some bigger fish in there. I've caught channels upto about 10-12lbs out of there and few flatheads. You can try some of the Dam lakes as well. Dam 9 sucks so avoid it, LOL But Dam 7 is awesome for channels. You can get a map of all the dam lakes from city hall there.

We always bank fished around Independence Creek there in Atchison. I caught several flatheads and blues at the mouth of Independence Creek. Good luck!!

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    You might try Big Lake on the Missouri side near St. Joseph. It's an oxbow
    lake and there are some real monsters in it, I am told. You can get into
    fish that were genetically good enough to make it in the river just a few
    generations ago without the current to use in their favor. Slide over to
    the KDWP site and look around for lakes within easy driving distance of
    Atchison. I believe that there is at least one State Fishing Lake in your
    county and old lake Keokuk which might be mostly marsh by now.

9. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks so much for all the responses! I do a lot of fishin at the watershed dams already. I'm definitely going to be headin down to "the mouth" where Independence meets the river. Rush...I'll be lookin forward to my tenth post! I'll hurry up...Happy fishin...

10. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    How do you get your picture to be set as your avatar?

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Go to user CP at the top of this page, in the page that comes up look on the left side. About the 6th thing down says edit avatar. Just make sure its within the required size limits and it should work.

12. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
  13. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome aboard Justin

14. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks again for all the friendly welcoming! And thanks, Casey for the help w/ the avatar. Cheers!

15. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you need some shad for bait you can try tossing a castnet in the river where the little creek runs close to the big bridge. Not sure what the name of the creek is but its the one that runs bedside Taco Johns. Watch out thought some times they are dumping alot of sewage in that creek. :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::sad2:

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The creek is called White Clay Creek.

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Speaking of Atchison and sewage. A power outage in Atchison caused a large sewage spill yesterday.

ATCHISON, Kan. -- Raw sewage from an Atchison wastewater treatment plant has spilled into the Missouri River.

And that has prompted health officials to warn communities along the river to be cautious because of an anticipated increase in the levels of fecal coliform bacteria.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said the discharge of raw sewage happened Wednesday after a power surge caused the treatment plant to lose its pumps and motors.

The extent of the effect of the sewage bypass is being investigated. In the meantime, individuals are being warned to avoid contact with the Missouri River and to keep pets and livestock away from river water.

Health officials said in a news release that they also have notified downstream water suppliers and the Missouri Department of Natural Resources about the sewage.

http://www.kctv5.com/news/19132799/detail.html

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That is just what they need more oder in the air! :eek:oooh::smile2::eek:oooh: