Atachafalaya River

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by sacalait59, Aug 17, 2009.

1. sacalait59

sacalait59 New Member

State:
    Louisisana
    Fished the Atachafalaya river Sunday with my son. Had a great time and caught some 4 spotted cats, 2 channel cats, and 1 goo. Is anybody else fishing the river, and how are yall doing?:big_smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome Tim to the BOC!:big_smile: I'll be in the river Saturday! Good to see you caught some! It's been a little while since we went. :cool2:

3. RickfromLafayette

RickfromLafayette New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Last Saturday my buddy and I caught 2 flatheads about 3 lbs each, and about 18 blue cats, average about 2-3 lbs. The week before I caught a beautiful 9lb bluecat. All on shiners, 2 oz no-roll sinkers, 3/0 circle hooks.
    I fished out of Myette Pointe. Anchored in the current in 15' and cast out into the channel and let the current bring the bait up to the drop off.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Tim.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Man those flatheads are good eating, especially that belly meat! How's the river moving, too dangerous where you fished for a 1436 jonboat?

6. sacalait59

sacalait59 New Member

State:
    Louisisana
    Not at all, fished log jams and downed trees with gold fish. I have a 14' 48" with a 20hp and fish the river with no problems. Launched out of Krotz Springs area.

7. Katfishing Cajun

State:
    Louisiana
    Test looks good! Welcome to the BOC!!!:cool2:

8. RickfromLafayette

State:
    Louisiana
    " biggest was 10.66!.......... I came across a section in the Whiskey that was 142 feet deep with the river as low as it is!"

142'!!! That is deep for the Atchafalaya. Where do you launch for the Whiskey channel? I fished just above the Whiskey where it splits w/ the Atchafalaya on July 4. The river was falling fast at the time and the current was torrential...lost an anchor...almost lost a finger. I lost about 10 leaders on big floating snags before I gave up.
    I usually launch at Butte LaRose if I am going to fish the Atchafalaya around Cow Island, but mostly I fish the Atchafalaya launching out of Verdunville (Centerville).
    I have a lot of friends in Cecilia.

Rick

9. Katfishing Cajun

State:
    Louisiana
    Rick, we went out of Butte LaRose and headed south. We fished two spots south of where Atchafalaya and the Whiskey meet, no takers! The 142ft hole is just south of the two crossing pipelines in the Whiskey. We found some tree tops in the Whiskey that were in 35 to 40ft of water that gave up one little flattie, but my buddy tied one on with a nice one that we never got see thanks to one of those snags:eek:oooh:!We will meet another day Mr. Catfish!!!:smile2: Where is Centerville at?

10. RickfromLafayette

State:
    Louisiana
    Centerville is a couple of miles past Franklin on Hwy 90. I get off the Garden City exit and head south on Hwy 182 a little bit then go over the Bayou Teche and south again to the Verdunville landing. The landing is in the south part of Grand Lake, just above the Calumet Cut.
    From there I head across Grand Lake, cut through Cypress Island (not the Cypress Island in St Martin) to the Atchafalaya. I anchor down at any of the cuts or canals branching off the river.

11. basincajun

basincajun New Member

State:
    Lafayette,Louisiana
    Anyone every use the landing that they have near Sherburne? It is a little ways south of the entrance to the shooting range. Stopped there once and checked it out, but never used it.

Tom L.

12. henryhayes

henryhayes New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Rick: Enjoyed your post. Myette Pointe must be near Morgan City? I've been fishing the Atchafalaya at Butte La Rose with no luck, except for a few gous. Any tips you can give me would be appreciated. I take it you didn't catch them on a sand bar?

Thanks

13. henryhayes

henryhayes New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Tom: I've used it, but when the water was higher. Not sure about now. I've got a 17 ft. Express boat.

14. RickfromLafayette

State:
    Louisiana
    ]Rick: Enjoyed your post. Myette Pointe must be near Morgan City? I've been fishing the Atchafalaya at Butte La Rose with no luck, except for a few gous. Any tips you can give me would be appreciated. I take it you didn't catch them on a sand bar?

Henry,

Myette Pointe is located just outside of Baldwin. When I fish out of Butte LaRose I go south and fish the river wherever a cut, drain or channel comes out into the river. I anchor above the channel in the shallow part of the river right where it drops off into the channel. I cast out into the channel and let the current bring my lines back to the drop off. I usually cast another line where the cut comes out and meets the river channel. I have never had luck in the Atchafalaya with worms or cut bait. I use shiners, goldfish or, if I can find a good place to cast a net, live shad. Also, fish any log jams along the river. The only sandbars I have fished were well north of Butte LaRose, where the Whiskey River channel meets the Atchafalaya.

15. henryhayes

henryhayes New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Rick: Thanks. That is very good, specific information. I'll get into them one of these days.

Henry

16. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana

Tom,

The best place to launch is in Melville, about 20 to 25 minutes north of Sherburne. You can launch at the ferry there. This is a sand/gravel area, if water rising and falling quickly I would suggest 4X4. Usualy pretty good area to launch and plenty of light if going in and out during dark. If you ever need a fishing partner give me a shout.

Joe

17. henryhayes

henryhayes New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sacalait: Glad you asked. I've gone three times in recent weeks and caught only two or three caspergous, no catfish. The water was low with little current. Is the catfishing better when the water is high and rising, or high and falling? I always heard it was better during high water. Anyone can give me an answer, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

18. Katfishing Cajun

State:
    Louisiana
    Henry, we went the last 2 weekends. Last weekend only five, 4 Flatheads one little blue. The weekend before 13, 7 Flatheads, 5 blues and one channel. Still learning how to fish the river. All fish we're caught in 20 to 50ft of water. I'm going to learn how to drift fish the big river soon. :cool2:

19. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    It all depends on where you are going. If your in the main river I have had good catches during rising and falling of river. Someone will have to give you an answer on basin/spillway fishing. I went this past Friday night. We caught 8 channel cats and 1 goo. We launched in Kotz Springs and fished the sand bars.

20. henryhayes

henryhayes New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Joe. You've done a lot better than I have. I've fished only during daytime and have caught only a few caspergou. Nighttime is always better, but I do believe the daytime fishing will pick up when the weather cools and the water rises, but that's just a guess.