At what age do I take my kid fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by nightowl, Oct 18, 2007.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    Hey guys and gals
    My little boy is 14 months old and I know that he is to young right now to go with me. But at what age do you think he can go with me. I fish mainly in the missipy in a 2072 tracker big cat. My first consern is his saftey. I have taken him fishing off the bank of ponds and creeks but that river is in a league of its own.
    Thanks

2. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    Here is a picture of my little man.

Attached Files:

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Put him in one of those car seats and take him on the boat. I don't think a kid is ever to young to go fishing. Some of them are just to young to hold their own pole.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i say as long as u can keep him safe, and also start teaching him now about safety & dangers of the river & boats, take him w/u now!!!!!!

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Naturally, you have concerns currently otherwise you wouldn't have posted. My initial instinct on this, if you have concerns over your sons safety, I would think twice before taking him out.

Just ask yourself this.... does the risk outweigh taking him? If the answer is yes, I wouldn't. You son has one life and at his age, it is your judgment that will keep him safe.

IN my opinion, take it as you will, you already posted a concern about it.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One question that may provide some kind of indication is, how small do they make life vests. I know I wouldn't want my 19 month old grandson out on a boat without a life vest that will definitely keep his head above water if he should go into the water. Of course, the Mississippi is in a league of its own, so just because you found a suitable life vest doesn't mean it's absolutely ok, but at least it provides a minimum. He's got to be at least big enough to wear the smallest life vest available.

7. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    We have found several vest but none of the are certifided flowtation devices

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    The river might be a bit too big at the moment, but ponds, streams and lakes is just the right size.

Will :004:

9. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mines been fishing since he was 2, he caught his first fish unassisted at the month he turned 3. started taking him to the rifle range at 7.

I believe that this is the key to building a strong character and a responsible sportsman.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I think the ponds filled with panfish hitting heavy keeps em from getting bored...but will work yer butt off.
    Canepole.

11. AggieDave

AggieDave New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have two girls 8 & 3 they both love to fish, but they do get bored eaisly. I also know that I can not fish as hard when they are with me, so I usually devote that trip to them even if we are throwing rocks before it is over. I know it would be tough to take them out alone and handle our boat (22') while keeping them in place if things get rough. If it is just you and the little man I would wait or take someone with you and give it a try. Just my .02

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I agree 100% Barry. I wish I had someone to teach me when I was younger everything. That way I wouldn't look and feel so bloody stupid as an adult and scratching my head going "There's a difference in hooks? Wow."

13. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My son Austin is 4 now, but I started taking him on the boat when he was about 2 years old. I found that taking him on the boat was less stressful than taking him fishing on the bank somewhere. When we were on the bank, he was wandering off too much, getting too close to the riverbank, and just making me a nervous wreck. In the boat he can't run off but you worry about them falling over. First of all, I make him always wear his life jacket from before we leave until we get back (even when we're stopped). The only time he can take it off is to use the bathroom (take a small bucket for that). When he was younger, I would tie a rope from the boat to the back of his lifejacket just in case he fell over (he hasn't yet). Just make sure the lifejacket is the kind that has a strap or buckle that goes between his legs so the lifejacket won't slip over his head if he does go in the water. I would also take a bucket of toys for him to play with because attention spans are very short at that age. Another thing, always try to get another adult to go too just to help watch him. I would also recommend going to a lake the first couple of times to get him used to the boat because if he falls over at a lake there isn't any current and you can just pull him back in the boat. It is riskier going to a river because of the current, even with a rope between the boat and lifejacket. You can never be too safe when they are that little. Just don't take the fishin' too seriously when little ones are along because they won't be still and the won't be quiet. Enjoy the time together and good luck fishin'.

14. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bumper,
    Your regiment and Mine were are right together.

The Life jacket is the ticket to be in or around the Boat. If the boat or the water was involved the Jacket was the dress of the day.
    Really no different than the Car Seat in the Car or truck.. Just the way it is. No discussion, no issue, no problem.

I agree the lake is the best training ground for you both. Mom and I both started Both boys when it was time.
    We used to go to the lake.. We would have lunch and go for a ride have lunch, go for a ride , have lunch.... LOL
    I think we even managed a little fishing at times.
    Going fishing is another activity that we used the boat .same rule different distractions.. More lunch and boat riding.
    Take them with you anywhere they will go . Let them be safe.. and you won't have to make them be safe. They learn by example. They learn by doing. They are never to young to be exposed.

15. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i myself would be too nervous to take a little one on the river .
    but a lake is another story.
    as stated they are never too young i guess , but bring plenty of things
    to occupy his time . besides snacks and and a few toys , crayons etc.
    a bucket of minnows can provide a lot of entertainment.
    and like others said , an extra adult or older sibling ,nephew ,or neice would sure be a big help.
    on the river no matter how attentive to the little guy you are , there is always something that could go wrong that could put you in a pickle and
    cause you to not be able to do two things at once .
    good luck and dont forget the camera.

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Well there has been alot of good advice so far .. the main one being a certified life vest ... but the one peice of advice i'd suggest would to also bring plenty of good sun screen with you you don't want to let the lil fellow get a bad sunburn out there do you ?

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I tend to agree with this post.
    If you allready have reservations qbout taking him, wait till he is a little older and try it then.
    At his age, you could chain him to the seat and build a cage around him and, he will still get to close to the sides of the boat for your comfort, (they are like miniture Hudini's), LOL!!! Little kids that age are a handfull in a boat!!!!

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have 7 grandsons aged 4-15 and I take them fishing as much as I can but there is no way I would take any of them out on the Miss. river till they are a good swimmer.That river will kill you and not give the body back,it's not a safe place for a grown man and I don't want one of my boys on it till they are at least 8 years old.

19. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I wouldn't take them fishing period until they have a life vest that is certified USCG Approved.

Stearns is the brand I have always bought for my kids. If your child is under 30 lbs, they can only get a Type II floatation device (considered for near shore use, will MOSTLY turn an unconscious members head out of water)

For over 30 lbs, a Type III is available and is most often used by recreational users and are primarily intended for conscious people.

I get mine from a Stearns employee, but I seen Stearns life vests at WalMart, and ALL Stearns life vests are USCG approved.

My daughter was fishing with me at 2, only at ponds. She held a cane pole, but never left it in the water long enough to catch a fish. At 3 she caught her first fish on a little snoopy rod (about 2 foot long) with an old zebco reel. She was so proud of her little rock bass and 4" perch that she wouldn't quit jumping up and down.

A town nearby has a pond right in the middle of the city park with a water fountain flowing out of the middle of it. It is stocked with lots of fish. The pond has 3 or 4 large carp in it (I don't remember if they are all male, or all female, or how they can tell, but they insure that they don't breed), plus bass, sunnies, crappies, perch, and rock bass. Only children 12 and under may fish this pond. There are spots all around with small benches and piers so that about 20 different kids could fish at once in it. Its a really good place to take kids.

20. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I had gotten out of fishing years ago.My son turned four and wanted to fish.6 years later and he can out fish me.You have an advantage that I didn't have of currently being into fishing.But then on the other hand we both have learned things together.