At What Age Can a Youth Hunt In Your State ?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by zeboman, Aug 6, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Here in Pa. a youth has to take a hunters safety course and has to buy a license at age 12 and hunt with an adult until 16. But there is a mentors program where a child can harvest a deer with a licensed hunter 21 or older.The mentors program stipulates that the adult hunter has to carry the firearm to and from the woods and one gun has to be shared between the two hunters,also the child has to be at arms length at all times. I`m going to take my nine year old out for deer this season and I think getting kids involved at an early age is very important. What are some of your thoughts ?

2. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    was always 12 here but now changed to 10

3. duckaholic

duckaholic New Member

State:
    south carolina
    whenever the kid can hold the rifle up in sc.
    must buy a licence at 16:wink:

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Here in Arkansas a youth can hunt with a licensed adult at any age but before he can hunt on his own he has to take a course and get a hunter's education card. Then they have to start buying a license at age 16.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in New Mexico,after you have passed and been certified in hunters safety classes,you may hunt with a legal aged adult or guardian. youth hunting lisc. from age 12-16 then regular after that.

As for my thought on the subject,ya oughtta know me by now ..... Go for it ,hope he tags a goodun.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Not even sure about Nevada. I know I went through hunter safety when I was 10. Ive had a license since I needed to, not sure when tho, darn CRS setting in.

7. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    youth here in Colorado can hunt if they pass the hunter safety test i've seen'um as young as 6, 7 , yr's old but they can only hunt small game .
    they can hunt big game as soon as they turn 12 yr's old ,needing a mentor or guardian until 18 yr's old .

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    that here in GA we can take them hunting while still in the wrapper so to speak. No minimum age, but must be within sight and sound of an 18 year old adult. :crazy:

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    texas has no minimum age, but all hunters under age 17 must have a youth hunting permit. if a kid is to hunt alone, they must posess a hunter's safety card. if the kid is hunting with someone and has not passed the safety course, the partner must have passed the course or be exempt from taking it. also, the partner has to be at least 17. my older daughter is itching to go shoot a deer, but it will have to be p dogs and rabbits for now. i am thinking she'll be ready for a .243 by age 9. we'll see!

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've always said "teach your kids to hunt and ya won't have to hunt for your kids" The most important thing is safety and allow them to have fun. I bout ruined my boys because i expected them to be able to hunt like me. There gonna step on sticks, scare off some game and generally blow it,,,but keep it fun and they keep wanting to go.

11. Team Tripple Fish

Team Tripple Fish New Member

State:
    mid GA
    Don't have to buy them here in GA until they are 16, they get honorary liscense until then

12. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    In Alabama a child can hunt with a licenced parent at any age as long as
    he is with that parent at all times. At my hunting club parents will bring
    children as young as six and take them to a shooting house for the evening
    hunt in good weather. As far as hunting alone the child must pass the state hunter education program before he can buy a licence at 16.

13. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    in KY they can hunt with an adult at any age with out anything and when they reach 12 years old are required to pass hunter safety and buy a youth hunting lics and deer tag (one Deer either sex) and can buy one bonus tag for one anterless deer. and at the age of 16 they buy a regular hunting lics as an adult

14. shovehead1

shovehead1 New Member

State:
    Trumann,Arkansas
    well when ever as long as your under 16

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've had my son hunting since he was 5. He mostly watched me at that age, but he watched and he learned. When he was 9 he shot his first deer with his rifle propped up over my leg. We were hunting in a rock solid homemade 12' ladder stand on our property and he downed a mature doe with one shot to the vitals from a 357 marlin lever action at 20 yards. He bagged his first buck at 12 and his first turkey at 11. He now has harvested many deer and turkeys and various types of game with gun and with bow. Its good to teach them young...............Reps to ya for dedication!!!!!!:big_smile: