At the Dock

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by vlparrish, Jul 31, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I was at the dock yesterday and had just put my boat in the water and tied up to the dock. These two older gentlemen was just coming in from a morning of fishing. One got out of the boat and went after the truck and the other was there tied behind me. So I asked "did you guys do any good". the fellow raised the lid on his live well and there are maybe a dozen cats in it all less than five pounds and I saw one that was maybe six inches. Now that wasn't what bothered me. I asked him what bait he was using and he said "different stuff just different stuff". LOL Well, likely his "secret" bait was something that I didn't have in my possession for one and also it would have been nice to know what bait caught all those "dinks" so that I wouldn't have that problem. I went on fishing and caught three cats a 4 and 15 pound blue and a 20 plus flathead. Yea, those two fellows beat me in numbers, but I know my total weight smoked his. Personally I'm always willing to help the other guy. Do I think I'm better than they are and noone else knows or should know how to catch fish? No. When I got back to the dock there was a guy fishing at the ramp. I took time to talk to him for like twenty minutes. I even gave him a few sinkers I had made and a soda. He said he would buy the soda, but I just gave it to him. The way I treated that guy was the way I had hoped the old man treated me, but wasn't the case. Vern

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Vernon: you are a gentleman, a sportsman, and an excellent ambassador of the BOC. And the others are just crackerz. :roll_eyes:

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Thanks Pat. I appreciate the comment. Vern

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Vern Ive met a lot of people like that also, if Im not in the mood to talk to someone becuase of catching dinks (I would take them right now :lol: ) Ill usually just say that I was using worms. I do talk to alot of the guys on the way back to my van tho finding out if they are catching or not.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah vern it must be a family trait lol i was at the ramp the other day gave a dew to 3 boys bout maybe 18 yrs old talked to them for a few gave them BOC bussiness cards and wished them luck ,seems im always talkin to some one , remember a while back the night you and dave fished while i went after bait ,well when i got to the creek there was a boat already there they were toss'n a cast net but werent doin any good so i gave them lessons and also some shad lol they ended up following me up river and fished just above us dont know if they caught anything but i did all i could to help without being in there boat , i didnt do it for praise just common courtesy

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If the more people in the world were Helpful and nice the world would be a better place. I commend you for being the way you are.
    You just have to take fisherman with a grain of salt.
    We as fisherman are all liars,lmao even had he told you what bait he was using, it may not of been the truth. He was just protecting his fishing spot. Stindgie old coot.lol don't give up on people jusst because of him.

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't mind helping anyone learn to fish, or get bait. I had someone teach me, and I think it's my responsibility to pass it on to whomever wants to learn. Maybe it'll be enought to keep them off of welfare, or just a good time away from people, you never know, you may have taught the person who will be important in your life or your families life somehow. Give them a fish they eat for a day, teach them to fish and they eat forever. Later Andy

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Vern, I commend you on your tolorance buddy!!!
    If he would have said that to me, I would have asked him when he was going fishing later since he had caught some bait, LOL!!! I treat people the way they treat me. I also will talk to folks on the bank, and leave them some bait or Information to help them when I can.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Way to show how we should each treat not just fisherman but everyone.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know some guys that catch big fish but never keep them and would never tell anyone they don't know that it happened or ever say where or what bait was used. I won't tell anyone I don't know at a ramp about catching big fish.
    I did once and the result turned out really bad. It caused a lot of big fish to be killed just so they could show off. This happened to me before I started catfishing but it applies.

11. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I was coming out the other night and another guy was at the ramp throwing a net not doing any good, so I offered him my left over shad about 15 about half still alive and he acted like a jacka$$. He said he could catch his own, so when I dumped the bait tank I told him to throw right there he might get one! I was just trying to be courtious, some people you just can't help.

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is it possible that the bait they were using, and unwilling to divulge, was illegal?

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Curtis, it is unlikely, but you could be right. I would say they were using something on the lines of catalpas or green worms. Vern

14. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not sure about the laws in your state, but there are several laws here that limit what bait you can use. Main reason I thought of it is that a lot of anglers here would use crappie and white bass if the laws allowed it (and many of them use them anyway).

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    When I found out that my Great Gram had passed I went to the river to be alone for awhile and there was tis kid throwing a rapala over and over again in the same spot. I showed him how to use it properly and gave him one of my Arbogast topwater Cicada so he wouldn't get hung up so much! He caught a smallie while I was ther and he made me smile. so it was all worth it! I hav,nt lost faith in humanity...yet. I think everyone is capable of being polite if givin a chance.

16. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds like you, and I are a lot alike. I don't mind sharing, or helping someone out, it actually makes me feel good. I have made many good friends over the years sharing with others. Don' t worry about guys that act the way you described, with some it's just an old bad habit they never broke.your going to find folks like that every now, and then. Some are rude, and abrasive in their talk, thinking it makes then sound important or big. A real man doen't resort to such tactics, because they are self assured, and can quickly spot those that are not. One day they might wake up, and realize where they stand in the grand scheme of things. If not, the way I see it, it's their loss, not mine. Good fishin', Jack.

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I never could under stand why some people want to be jerks I like to talk to and share with others :big_smile:

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You will run into rude and just downright unfreindly people wherever you go. Its happened to me numerous times just dont let it bother you or let it change the way you are toward other people.