At the breaking point!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by ratkinson, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I'm a country boy at heart. Moved from a house in the middle of nowhere with a hundred acre back yard, to the suburbs so my oldest could be in a better school district for his needs. The house I bought always has a yard full of squirrels. It is all I can do to not fill up my freezer with those little guys. I'm not exagerating when I tell you I could shoot ten a day easily. It have to be with a pellet gun........LOL not sure the neighbors would understand, there necks have never been red. Just venting to my kind.............

Richard

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey kill em anyway i do i love the little fat ones my neighbor feeds yeeehaaa just dont get caught

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thank you for being my moral compass....................LOL
    They sure are well fed and look delicious.

4. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Trap em 110 conibear, rat trap, snares, still good eatin and no noise.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    go with a blowgun or a pellet gun......

it your going for instant droping power then grab a crosman quest 1000 and a bunch of crosman hollowpoint pellets or beeman round nose pellets

as far as neighbors necks' not being red.......... my neck was never red either but compared to MY neighbores, mines the reddiest on the block....:smile2:

i was critisized for countless things like eating catfish casue there bottom feeders along with ( just resently as 3 days ago ) being critisized for MAKING a fishing boat instead of BUYING a fishing boat..... my dad and i like having projects so we picked up a 1960's seagulf boat for free and making it into a fishing boat :wink:

builds up my fabrication skills for my future and saves us lots of money as well :smile2:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I can relate.

Can't imagine living where what I do off the front porch is anyone's concern but mine.

My stepdaughter lives in one of those godawful subdivisions up in Tulsa...makes me shudder.

7. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    LMAO,,,
    I was thinking the same thing.:smile2:

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dude, I lived in Summitville (Middletown/Newburgh area) out in the sticks and I used to snipe them from inside the house with just the muzzle of the .22 sticking out of the slider on the porch. Used to irk the wife but it was a quick way to score a squirrel dinner when I was too lazy to go hunting. Oh, I used .22 shorts to make it even quieter:smile2:

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Get you a catch em live trap and get em that way! Then you have no holes to contend with and no damaged meat, butcher them the way you want! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I feel for you. I have a ton of rabbit & squirrel. They love my vegetable garden as much as I do. The wife wont let me go out with my bow in the yard after them. So Im stuck practicing my stalk and then chasing them while screaming. Sometimes the squirrels leave a pile behind if you get right.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I also live in the city now so I have to be careful about critter control. I have had a few hummingbird feeders for years and for what ever reason, the squirrels started tipping them to the side to drink the sugar water. I was having to fill the feeders everyday. It was getting expensive so I went and got a box of low noise, low velocity 22 CB caps. OHHHH, they kill squirrels nicely and the neighbor could be in their yard and never hear a thing. The problem is the dumb old city squirrels get as wiley as their country cousins real quick. I remembered I had my grandfather's old havahart livw trap in the basement that we caught rabbits in to train the beagles. I baited the trap with peanut butter on bread and was catching two or three a day for a week or so. I carried them up the road and released them to be someone else's problem. After a week or so, I must have caught the culprits as the squirrels don't mess with the hummingbird feeders anymore. I watch them climb down the tree the feeder is attached to, stretch out to drink from the bird bath and then go back up the tree again. The trap is back in the basement until the squirrels develop a taste for sugar water again.