AT HOME bait tank idea..

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by kyleco55, May 10, 2009.

1. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    ive got a few deep freezers sitting in my sotrgae unit.. ive been contemplating on taking the lid off of one, or drilling big cutouts in it.. mounting up a good filter system, and using it for a live bait tank in the garage.. its already insulated pretty good, and on really hot days, i could probably plug it in and chill the water that way.. let me hear what you guys think about this?? anyone done it before??

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    You will need to put something in the corners to keep the bait from bunching up. That is why bait tanks are round or oval. I went to tractor suppy and got their 100 gal oval stock tank.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thats what i use.. no need to worry about the corners unless you plan on keeping shad...

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    A guy back home did that exact thing and it worked great! Why cut the lid off? I would leave it on and just cut some small holes in the side, at the top, to get your filtering system in there. That water will stay nice and cold with the lid on. You do have to be careful if you plan on using the cooling unit to cool the water. It will cool it down pretty quickly and can kill the bait from shock. My buddy lost a few batches of bait that way, you gotta keep a constant eye on it. What he did that worked great was hook a timer up to it. You can get them at Wal Mart for like 4 bucks. He would have his kick on for like 10 minutes every 2 hours (can't remember the exact timing) and it worked alot better than just turning it on. He could keep 50 bluegill in that thing for weeks with no problem. It can start to stink after a while if you don't take care of it like an aquarium, that's why the lid is nice :)

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    thanks for the input guys... looks like im going to try it out...

6. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Thats what i have for keepin blugills.The freezer leaks tried caulkin it and that worked for a while.I ended up just puttin clear plastic in it and fillin it up with water and trimin off the edges.I have 2 100 gallon aqarium pumps from wal mart with 4 air stones.Keep it on the north side of a building in the shade and i can keep gills in there for a month.I left the lid on and it stays cool even in the hottest part of summer.Never tried puttin shad in it but it might be able to hold small amounts.

7. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    i am in the middle of making a bait tank out of a chest freezer also waiting on my aerator to show up i ordered its one of those that adgetate the top of the water just have to figure out how rig it up without removing the lid:eek:oooh:

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats what I use. Works great!
    Get a broken one, you dont want to plug it in.
    I dont even have a filter on mine but I dont have any problems. The water stays so cool and clear. I run two 10" airstones with 110 volt air pumps.
    A filter would be nice but I havet needed one.
    Leave the lid one. Its the nicest thing about the deep freeze. Ive never had mine get over 74* and we have some pretty hot summers.:smile2:

9. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats a good idea, may have to look into doing that for us, maybe next year.

10. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I was going to do this for my bait tank but I had an old 55 gallon aquarium in the house my wife wanted to get rid of so I put it in the garage. It has a heating element in it to keep the temperature from dropping too low and a filter on it and lights. I set it up and used a bit of lake water along with dechloronized water from my garden hose and cycled the tank with a couple of sunfish and now I can hold quite a few bluegills and sunfish in it with no problems. I will probably keep about five or ten sunfish in it through the winter to keep the biology going in it. I can keep my bait alive indefinitely (until they die of old age) plus my kids like looking at the fish.

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You should really think about purchasing a submerssible pond pump for it, they really make a difference! And a filter box the pump sits in. Alot of folks like to hook the outlet water hose to some PVC with holes drilled in it to make a spray bar for added air,
    I disagree with this method because you can purchase bubbler that will do the job for tiny bit more $ than the spray bar matierals.

What I have found that works even better is to let the outlet hose sit at the bottom of the tank and wash all the waste that "will" collect on the bottom off the bottom and into the filter box.

PM me if you have any ?'s

12. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I have a 55 gallon I believe may be a little bigger cattle tank that I use, I have an aquarium pump hooked up to it. It gets extremely hot her in NC, do you all think it'll hold blue gills and goldfish? Thanks.