Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we live in IL. the local network channels we can receive are out of Evansville, IN. Recently read an article from IN. indicating the state had issued a lifetime hunting ban for poaching turkeys. From the pictures I would guess the violator to be early 30's, so the ban could be in effect for a long time.
Now I am not a fan of hammering the inadvertent violator as hard as possible, you know the guy that had one mud covered 1970's vintage lead shot shell in the bottom of his boat while duck hunting and got a citation even though it had been there so long the brass had turned green. However, IMO professional poachers should at least face the possibility of an LTB but according to the news release this was IN.'s first lifetime ban, maybe it will detour others.

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish I knew how to post the link, he is/was a professional poacher. He has illegally taken turkeys and been convicted in several different states. As far as having nothing to lose its kind of like the guy who has had his drivers' licenses revoked for multiple D.U.I.s, all he has to lose now is money and freedom. I have no sympathy for anyone who KNOWINGLY and INTENTALLY takes or attempts to take wild game illegally, it just isn't right for someone to put in the time fighting skeeters, turkey mites, sleep deprivation and weather to have someone else take the same game they are hunting illegally, every poached animal is one less that could have been taken by an ethical sportsman. I'm gonna get down now before my soap box craters and I fall and break a hip.

·
Administrator
Chattanooga TN
994 Posts
I had in mind that he had just basically shot one out of season, but since that is not the case, where is that nearest totem pole? I do agree that people who knowingly break the law should suffer the consequences, not just a slap on the wrist. Him being a repeat offender, the fine and jail time should have been severe enough that he wouldn't want to do it again.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I had in mind that he had just basically shot one out of season, but since that is not the case, where is that nearest totem pole? I do agree that people who knowingly break the law should suffer the consequences, not just a slap on the wrist. Him being a repeat offender, the fine and jail time should have been severe enough that he wouldn't want to do it again.
I was thinking that it was a first time offender too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts