At First I Was Thrilled (hey skipeye)

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Phil Washburn, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now i am just disgusted:embarassed:
    hey Darryl, remember that little river i showed you and said i fished it? remember that VERY skeptical look on your face when i said there were big fish in it?.......well stay tuned, my friend:wink:

the north canadian behind my place is low and slow now. the water is hot, and the wife and i have caught very little last couple of trips. we took her grandson down this afternoon and fished for 2 or 3 hours. extremely slow bite. used worms, liver, shrimp, and hotdogs. i used mostly liver and had a few bites, but no serious takers.

the wife caught a pretty little 1.5lb blue on a worm, so i switched to worm. threw across the river (Darryl knows that is possible:wink:) and waited for about 15 minutes. nothing. decided to reel back in and switch to liver.

i was using my black and blue custom rod with 50lb braid on my shimano stella reel. i reeled 2 or 3 turns and felt a bump...you know how it feels when you reel your tackle across a log. when it bumped, it hung up. i immediately loaded up the rod in hopes of unsnagging it. no such luck. there i sit. pole bent double and faced with the unpleasant task of trying to break 50lb power pro. the wife asks "are you snagged?" yes, i replied. then just as i reached for my line to break it, it moved. i thought i imagined it at first, so i applied a little more pressure to the rod. it moved to my left slightly. it stayed for maybe 15 or 20 seconds, then moved to the right a couple of feet.

now i am trying to apply logic, as i have never had a big fish on a rod and reel and my mind would not accept that this was the first. logically, if you snag a log laying in sand on the bottom, if you pulled up one end, the current would soon wash sand under it and it could sway back the other way........this is what i am thinking during this little event:eek:oooh:

then it went straight away from me, stripping maybe 10 or fifteen feet of line slowly off my reel. now i know it is no log...turtle, maybe, but no log. i messed with this "fish" for maybe 6, 8 minutes. when this thing wanted to take line off my reel, he took line off my reel. i finally decided it had to be a fish and went up and down the bank with him trying to keep him out of the timber.

the water is very shallow at banks edge, going from a half inch to maybe 6 inches 4 or 5 feet out. i got him to the banks edge, in basically a half inch of water. i had snagged a big flathead in the dorsal. that is why it felt like i snagged a log. he would not open his mouth for me to grab. his tail was too slick to hang on to. when i pulled on the line just a little more, it tore the hook out of the dorsal and he thrashed his way back to safe water.

now i have seen a few big cats. i have caught a 35 inch blue on a trot line. this flat was maybe as long as the blue, tho not as fat. my conservative guess is a minimum 20lbs. prolly several more. as i reached to grab him by the mouth, i had my hand spread looking for any place to hold him. my finger span is nine inches, and his head was a little wider than that. maybe some of my more experienced bretheren can provide us with a closer weight estimate.

snagging him in the dorsal meant dragging him sideways, so he, no doubt, felt bigger than he was. but he had my black and blue doubled over the whole time. i have never had that much fish on, and that includes the 15 to 20lb gar i caught at eufaula.

i am disgusted because, A - i snagged it. had i hooked him in the mouth he would be in the skillet now. and B - he got away. it isn't a legitimate catch if you don't have him long enough to take a pic of, is it?:sad2:

dang! pretty fish, nice fight, and i don't mind him having his freedom again:big_smile:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would definitely call that a let down. Moma said there would be days like that.:smile2:

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Phil in my book if you touched it, it's a caught fish. You just did a quick release on it. In this old boys opinion, you caught a 20+lb flathead. Congatulations.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Great story. Now I guess ya are lookin for some "REP" LOL!:crazy:

5. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I bet that little river seems a lot more hopeful to you now, tho.....

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    it dang sure does to my wife, Dan.....she was EXCITED!:smile2:

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    i would agree with 20+ pounds. congrats

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't care how small a creek or river is in Oklahoma, there's going to be some nice big flatheads to be caught.....nice story you'll get him next time.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great fish, I wish you could have gotten a picture. It makes me wonder how many "snags" i have broken that were actually fish?

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Phil, Nice catch. Thanks for releasing him, lol.

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ok Phil we'll cut ya some slack:eek:oooh: obviously you are still recoverign from SKIPEYE'S extended barrage on oklahoma waters!!!:tounge_out::smile2: The North Canadian & south & red river all hold very large fish indeed if ya hit it when it is running in the heat and locate those "holes" be prepared those rivers you can cast across have fish of a lifetime in them....The same thing happened to me last week on the red...had him...fought him....saw him......admired him for a couple of seconds then parted ways:haha:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Good Job Phil, didn't figure you for a catch 'n release guy. LOL!

So you going back today to catch him? Bring your camera! That would be a heck of a battle in shallow water. They walk all over the top when its shallow, makes for some heart racing moments!

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Good story Phil! Now you know where the big guy is hanging out and next time you'll get him! :cool2:

14. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Late July and early Aug IMO is a great time to catch some nice flatheads in Oklahoma. There's a lot of flatheads that are just coming off the postspawn right now and it's a good time to catch a hungry flathead. I always do really good myself numbers and size right now. I know I'm going to be working some of the upper ends of my local lakes and rivers that feed into them looking for those post spawn hungry flatheads.:wink: