At a Bridge pillar should I fish in front (upstream side) or Behind (down stream)?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Wallbass, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im new at river cattin and gonna try more this year. At a Bridge pillar should I fish in front (upstream side) or Behind (down stream) side ?? And what about the water on the sides ?? Tell me your best way :wink:
    Thanks Jeff :smile2:

2. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    For me I have always fished from the side, putting my bait at the start of the pillar (upstream) and letting it drift towards the back (downstream). I was told when i was younger that the cats like to stay behind the pillars (downstream) in the slower water and wait for something to fall in to the slow water. Granted all i have ever fished for is flats and channels. Not to many blues around me. I hope this helps.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If there is one in there Jeff he will be on the back side facing toward the current. Depending how fast the water moves there will be a hole swept out. The hole could be right at the base or twenty yards down stream depending on current speed and water depth. Good luck...........

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Drop the bait in front with the absolute minimum amount of weight (none if possible)needed to keep it down.
    Tease it around the pillar without pulling it away. Work the bait along the pillar with a very small lifts and drops. Let it go all the way around the back of the pillar and then work it downstream a good ways. If there is a cat there he will know the bait is coming. Work both sides of the pillar in the same way.
    ...W

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Winston on this one. Very effective method.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree with Winston, but if I had to pick one spot, it would be the front. The current will carry the scent downstream and will eventually draw a fish from the hole below. I also believe that fish coming upstream will work their way around a pier looking for a snack, and in front of the pier can be an especially good spot to drop a live bait.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i fish the slack water behind the pillars. like said,if they are active they will swim up and get ya in front. winston's, plan works too if they are actively feeding or you are actively searching.

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I cant even throw my two cents in this one.. you guys have already covered what I would do..

Its more then Likely the fish would be on the downstream side.. but as winston said it could be up next to the pillar or 20 yds away.. but if u fish the front, your baits scent will flow right to the fish and he or she will come out and get it...

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If Indiana is like PA where you can use 2 rods, throw one bait behind because the the bridge piling will act as a current break and place another bait on the side.

That's what works best for me in this situation.

10. Bluechaser

Bluechaser New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WHEN I FISH A BRIDGE PILLAR I USUALLY WILL FISH THE UPSTREAM SIDE AND THROW MY BAITS AT THE FRONT OF THE PILLARS.A LOT OF TIMES THE PILLAR WILL HAVE UNDER WATER STRUCTURE BUILT UP ON IT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PILLAR.BUT EVERYONE ELSE PRETTY MUCH COVERED HOW AROUND FISH AROUND A PILLAR.WE GET TO USE THREE RODS HERE IN INDIANA BLACKY:smile2:

11. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    I'm with ya on this 1 Shane. Everything I was gonna say has already been said. So at the risk of bein a copy cat - here goes.... Yah, what they said:wink:

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This doesn't work on every pillar but if there is wood stacked up in front of one and you have a high water event, you should fish the front. Put baits right in front and one off each side. Biggest live-baits you can catch.
    I know this goes aginst the conventional Flathead wisdom that they only like slack water. But you try it a few times then get back to me on results.

The only down-side to this method is someone in the boat has to constantly monitor the up-stream side of the river for trees and logs floating down that might sink your boat.

13. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I TRY NOT TO CAST NEAR THE PILLARS WITH THE FEAR OF GETTING SNAGGED WITH THE LUCK I HAVE I WOULD :smile2:

14. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks guys
    I don,t have a Boat,only bank fish. i have found a couple Bridges ones a Train others a road. I had to move to Greenwood and lookin for places.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If your not getting snagged your not fishing.
    Guys that fish to save their gear seldom hear, nice fish! lol :smile2:

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    jeff use google earth to search your area for good looking spots. you can find deeper holes sometimes by looking for tight bends and narrowed down areas of your river, then go test them. also look out of towns into the country to find the better areas! be prepared to do some walking the best spots are rarely by bridges and other easy access spots!

i see loads of good looking spots over by landersdale area! nice bends there that look like they mite be deeper and an oxbow that should be killer at night.:wink:

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Yep.
    Been there, done that:sad2: It didn't sink us but what a PITA to deal with...W

18. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    There's nothing I can add to what the other fellas have said - it's good advice. One thing I learned in my bass fishing days is that often during the construction of bridges there are large mounds of rubble created. These piles are usually not removed or spread out. With a decent df a person can find them and find fish around them. Check all around the bridge a good ways; not just next to it.

19. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    You're in Indiana, you can use three poles at a time to fish. Take advantage of that and fish around the entire bridge piller

20. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Where is the Landersdale area RS ??