Assistance needed in Las Cruces

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW MEXICO TALK' started by mattelmore, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mattelmore

mattelmore New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello all. I'm moving from Central Illinois to Las Cruces, NM mid August. The climate is going to be quite different, and I'm not too sure how my presentation will play down there.

So, does anybody have any kind of info re: catfishing in the las cruces area - namely from docks & banks. Can anyone recommend a guide?

Great site - thanks.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt,Welcome to the BOC and welcome to New Mexico. I live in the north eastern part,so I cant give you solid tips,But Elephant Butte is not real far from there,and theres a few others as well. The Butte is where both the state record flathead and bluecat were caught .

3. mattelmore

mattelmore New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah I saw that Elephant Butte lake and got all excited about that; the south side of it is about 45 min. north of my place - very nice. I imagine the reasonable thing for me to do is buy a jon once I get out there.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up and the welcome to NM. I'll arrive on Aug. 15th; if you ever need a fishing buddy just shoot me a PM or email.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Matt. Little far away for me to give you any info. Good luck!!

5. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    Caballo/Elephant Butte are well known for catfish. If you dont have a boat try Percha dam and Leaseburg dam. The Rio Grande near Hatch is also a good catfish area

6. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    The best bet for shore fishing catfish would be Marina Del Sur at Elephant Butte Lake. The river below Caballo Lake is also good for catfish. Percha Dam can be good but, in winter it barely flows. In Anthony, Texas(about 35 minutes from Cruces) there is a private lake, called Rainbow Lake with decent catfishing in summer. There is the Rio Grande near Las Cruces but it doesn't flow much in winter. About 2 hours away there is the Gila National Forrest which has alot of opportunities for catfish, bass, and trout.

As for a Guide, I would strongly recommend Frank Vilorio, at Elephant Butte Lake, he is great. He mainly guides for striped bass but will, if you ask him, get you on some good catfishing. He has a website www.stripersnewmexico.com

7. mattelmore

mattelmore New Member

State:
    Illinois
    NMC: That's great info - I really appreciate it.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt,you ever get a chance to come up to Ute lake ,give me a holler. I live in Logan, on the way to the lake,Ya gotta pass by my home to get there.

9. CrazyLencho

CrazyLencho New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey NMC Have you heard of a place called Jone's hole near Las Cruces? Some huge flatheads have been caught there. The pics of those fish are posted at the eastside Academy store in El Paso. But the location of this area is a well kept secret.

10. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    CrazyLencho, I have heard of it, through word of mouth. I have never been able to find or fish it.

11. mattelmore

mattelmore New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you bet

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am going to be down in Las Cruces for the next 10 days visiting my sister. I will be crying because that means 10 days of no chance to fish!

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,Check out Elephant Butte or Caballo. Theyre not too far from Cruces.

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    So ya... Elephant Butts eh... that is pretty close. I thought you were pulling my leg on that Richard. Now I am going to end up stealing my sister's truck and paying extra money to fly my fishing tackle down. Thanks! LOL!

15. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Going to rent a pontoon for 3 or 4 hours I think on Saturday and do some catting at the lake Richard. Checking out Elephant Butte to see how the are. Doesn't help that I don't have a map of the lake.. but m Brother in Law has been there before... so we will see! Have to let you know how we do... if we do anything at all. LOL.

THere is also a little river that runs through Las Cruces I guess... might try just throwing out some lines and see how we do there. Bought the 5 day fishing license and darn near had to get a loan for it! It is ridiculous the prices you all pay for fishing licenses down here in NM!

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds good,Now ya know those Game an Fish guys can't live without thier A/C lol