Assiniboine River channel catfisherman

Discussion in 'CANADIAN CATFISH' started by Eric Wood, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Eric Wood

Eric Wood New Member

State:
    manitoba
    anybody around western manitoba, or any southern part of the province that fishes along the assiniboine river who would like to exchange tactics or techniqes in which we can share to advance our knowledge on the assiniboine.

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    im sure there is someone on here that can help you out that lives close to you

3. 999outdoors

999outdoors New Member

State:
    manitoba
    i fish for channel cats on the assinoboine,near headingley. the sizes we catch vary in sizes a common size is 3-5 pounds. i catch em with a basic slip rig or a picerel rig, i bait that with cut bait or chicken liver or night carlers. all these baits work great. try to find a calm area with slack water and you will catch fish througout the summer.

4. daviswpg

daviswpg New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I live right in Winnipeg and there are great spots to fish on the Assiniboine right in Assiniboine park! Ive caught 25 lb cats there...most are in the 3 to 5 range though. This spot is right by the barbeque pits and is hot as soon as the season starts. I basically learned how to catfish here as a teenager and progressed to fishing for cats primarily at lockport. Best baits are cut baits shrimp or chicken livers. Have fun!