Aspiring angler needs advice or Arizona waters!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by SilencedMajority, May 20, 2006.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    hey all AZ catters, i just remade my membership at the boc after i stopped visiting about two years ago!!! back then there was an arizona forum, but i was the only one posting!!! so until now, ive been on my own poking around for flatheads like a one-legged man in a but kicking contest! i went on my first flathead trip to bartlett last weekend with NO LUCK. i understand techniques and rigs, but i don't have the shore-fishing locations down at all the reservoirs. can someone please help? i hate showing up at the lake ready to go for a night of flatties, clueless as to where i can fish sucessfully! keep in mind that im shorefishing. thx everyone, i expect to renew my love for this website as of tonight! i'd like to know good spots for bartlett, roosevelt, or anywhere good for shorefishing reasonably close to phoenix.

2. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey Antonio, glad to hear you are posting again.
    Bartlett:
    there is some good shore fishing off SB cove. i have caught some small flatheads there and witnessed big flatheads come from there. there is also a good chance for flatheads up river. the lake is low enough to where there is shore fishing everywhere. use bluegill and baby carp for the flatheads. you got to hang in there, and keep us posted. hope this helps.
    take care

3. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    When shore fishing I like to go as far as I can headed to the river, the trails change with the water levels but I have better luck going as far as I can up the lake away from the crowds and finding a nice point on a cove.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Welcome back. The Arizona section has picked up since the time you was here. Lots of enthused anglers searching for the mighty flathead. Also talk of gatherings going around as well so you may want to go to one. The colorado river has been putting out big flats lately so you may want to check there as well.

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Antonio,

Thanks for starting this thread. Since I have never fished Bartlett, I want to ask some questions as well.

1.) What would be the most favorite spot to fish in if you have a boat? I have a 12ft aluminum V-hull.

2.) What is the largest flattie caught from Bartlett?

3.) How long would it take me to get from Flagstaff...it takes me 2.5 to 3 hrs to get to Roosevelt.

4.) If I had an option to go to Roosevelt or Bartlett, which one should I choose?

Martinman

6. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    good action at bartlett but roosy has larger fish. your boat is fine for all spots. at bartlett back by the river and by the dam is good. bartlett the bait is plentiful roosy you may want to bring water dogs and then catch as many gills as possible. a 30 plus pounder was reported this year at bartlett.

7. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    wow, thanks to all you guys for replying to my thread. I think ill try going up to Bartlett and up as far as i can. One quick question though, what about Roosevelt? Have any of you guys had results shorefishing for flatties there? If so, where on the lake? Thanks again everyone...

8. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    while i don't have the answers you are looking for, i offer this: structure, structure, and structure! especially sunken timber and shallow flats adjacent to deep holes. if you don't know the topography, check for local lake maps, and talk to "old timers" they are usually a wealth of info, and often are more than happy to talk, and talk, and talk, and.........get the picture?

9. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    the biggest cat from bartlett i think was a 62 pounder. it was caught a couple years ago.

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    As far as getting bait, what do you typically use to catch your gills? And is there decent structure like there is in Roosevelt.

Guys, I have to make a confession, I have had the hardest time catching baitfish in Arizona. I think the time that I was in Georgia totally spoiled me and I have been cursed or something. I would love to find small carp or gills, but I can't seem to get them. It is a sad thing, but I must be screwing something up. In Georgia, you just drop a cricket on a hook in the shallows, next to the bank...and boom, there is your bait. I don't seem to be having the same ease of getting baitfish here. At the same time, I like waterdogs but feel that flatties like eating what is natural to them...any advice.

Martinman

11. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Roosy is tight with the bait fish. Bartlett is easy, the ultimate is fish in the morning for gills but when you fish through the night we tend to get to the lake in the afternoon. This is okay too a small piece of worm on a size 6 hook near the shores but if you find a dropoff near the shores this is even better because the gills can get cooler with a little deeper water shade is great in the heat. Us the floating live bait baskets and keep them in the lake or a bucket and airaider or boat livewell will work but change the water every few hours. Bartlett has a lot of little carp chum corn and cast a light rig like 6lb test line with the smallest egg sinker and a size 6 or 8 hook with 3-4 pieces of corn careful they will rip your rig in the water just ask my son who had his drag too tight. I've learned to fish without a bobber which works the best by boat working the shoreline. sliding bobber work if your working multiple rods on shore. tiny splitshot think light a baby split and a light leader and small hook and worm working the bottom with a very light jigging motoin covering a large area casting deep and working your way into shore if on foot or viseversa in a boat.

12. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Terry,

Thanks for the advice. It makes me not feel quite so bad. Really the only place that I have tried to catch gills and carp is at Roosevelt. I just have not had much luck at that.

Thanks for the pointers on Bartlett. I am really thinking about giving it a try. I just don't know when it will be. I have also been thinking about trying San Carlos too, but I don't know anything about the water conditions there. Where it is located more south, it may not have much water. I have checked the fishing reports, but haven't gotten much good info.

Martinman

13. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    From Flagstaff, Bartlett is about 12 miles closer.

162.84 miles from Flag to Roosevelt
    150.95 miles from Flag to Bartlett

14. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    jimmy, do you have those figures from phoenix?

15. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    That could vary greatly, depending on if you live in the east or west valley. Go to http://www.mapquest.com/ and click on driving directions, then put your address in one and Bartlett Reservoir or Roosevelt Lake in the other, it will give the distance and drive time.

16. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    1: Almost anywhere. I personally prefer up river past the no wake bouyes right by ship rock. There are several places to beach up that way and it keeps out most of the jet skiers and ski boats. I also like to go around yellow cliffs were you can anchor out and flatt and crappie fish at the same time. It may be better to try the second mentioned place during the week as the beach/campground is right across from there and it can get roudy on weekends.
    2: In the marina there are numerous pictures of flatties caught. I recall the biggest pic was 50+ pounds caught several years ago.
    3: Probably about the same ammount of time but not exactly sure.
    4: I would choose Bartlett only because its a 45min run from my house to waters edge. I would believe Roosey would have better fishing because of size of the lake. I am not that familiar with Roosey but have heard of many stories about big fish.

Good luck and hope to see ya out there some time in the near future