"Ask A Warden"

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by oldprowler, Mar 6, 2006.

1. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Have any of the Okie members used the "Ask A Warden" feature in the Law Enforcement section of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation web site?

Well, I tried it to ask a question about the legality of some bluegill traps. So far it has been 6 working days and counting with no response. What kind of luck did y'all have, is this long response time normal? How long should I wait before firing off another request or is the feature just another "look good" ??

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Tom,

I've never used it. Just pick up the phone and call a warden instead. It's easier, and quicker response.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the only time i ever remember getting a fast answer from a game warden was when i was wrong....lol seems evertime i ask a question i get one of them around the corner answers anyway.

4. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Oldprowler,

I never used the ask a warden feature but I did send an email to Paul Moore at the ODWC websight one time. If I remember right, it took about a week to get an answer. His response was very helpful and included phone numbers of locals around the area I was going to fish. Hope this helps some.

P.S. I've also called them and got an answer that day.

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Warning sign flashes up on the website:

"You tell us what you did and if you dont hear a response then you didnt do nothing wrong. Forget what happens next if you did screw up. "

My father in law's brother wanted to do some stuff to his pond. He tried to go on the DEQ website to see if his plans were allowable or not and they had a similar feature. Only thing is, in order to access the page where you have an area to write your question, you MUST first give a full name, an address of the location, your relationship to the landowner, and any landmarks near it that might be helpful, should they need to inspect your property.

well, he didnt want a confessional otherwise he would have emailed the vatican. He never asked the question, just shut down the page.

6. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Yeah, I guess I could have just picked up the phone and called a warden EXCEPT recording of calls is illegal in the state of OK unless you previously inform the other party the call is being recorded. Since the question I asked is not addressed clearly in the game laws I want a paper trail for future reference and evidence if needed. LOL

Sal: Our site is pretty good, they have no form to fill out just your email addy for response.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Prowler, unless they have changed the law recently, in the state of Oklahoma it is LEGAL to tape a phone call as long as ONE party is aware that the call is being taped. My wife went through this when she was going through her divorce from 97-2001. Durring that time, she had to tape record any conversations she had with her ex. *(we were just friends/dating at that point)*

My understanding is that the Oklahoma State Law mirrors that of the Federal law that states if an individual places, receives, or joins a call, that individual may record the telephone call (without giving any warning or notice) and may later make use of the recording (including court room use).
    Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit an individual to record such telephone conversations. Oklahoma is one of these states. These laws are called “one-party consent” statutes.

Look at Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 13, §176.4(5)

8. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just completed the "Legal Block" portion of my Reserve Academy here in Ok. They touched on the recording issue for a short time. I really didn't pay much attention to it..lol....but if I remember correctly they did say you could not record the conversation and expect to use it in a court without giving the other person notice that they are being recorded. Only exception is recorded lines in state buildings.....I could be wrong and I will find out at my next class.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Tom,

I've never used the "ask a warden" feature either, but like in a eariler post I've sent a email to Paul Moore. I've sent several e-mails to him, some have taken only three days while others a good ten days or so to answer.

10. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ive used the feature one time to ask some questions about lock and dams 17 and 18. i almost forgot about asking the question when i got a response. it ended up not even being a warden answering the question but i did get a response eventually..

11. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm a "former" Tennessee wildlife officer (game warden). I can't tell you about Oklahoma, but in Tennessee bluegill are classified as "game fish." Therefore it is illegal to use any type of commercial gear, included traps, to take them. Many people believe that means you can't use them for bait. They are incorrect. As long as the bluegill are captured legally, with hook & line, you can legally use them for bait. And I do!

12. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

In Oklahoma you can record a conversation with a second party. The law only requires that one party to the conversation knows it is being recorded. This allows a person to record his own conversations without consent of the other person. The recordings are admissable in court. I do it on a regular basis and have testified about the recordings in criminal proceedings where the recordings were ruled admissable. This is for my work.

Paul

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Kinda getting away from the thread, but I have reservations about people who record conversations that the other person is not aware of... too many times these things can be edited to where you said something you didn't actually say, or the person recording can steer the conversation and get you to say something in the wrong concept. There are not that many Al Capone's in the world, but everybody wants to be Elliot Ness. It, to me, is best just to be a man and say things to the person's face... then if it is misrepresented, it will be well known by the bruises. Yes, I'll admit that recording has it's uses, it is just one of those things I think that is done which shouldn't be. What is the big difference between recording conversations and wire taps. A rose by any other name is still a rose. Okay, I am off the soap box.