Asian Silver Carp

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by suddawg, Jul 21, 2006.

1. suddawg

suddawg New Member

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Shane you Sir are RIGHT Thats crazy. I wonder if there is anything that can be done to control those rascals? Thanks for the post and stay safe we need you back in nebraska. J.D.Straka :smile2:

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Yeah, I didn't understand why they were throwing them back in the river in the video. They seem rampant, yet they're just throwing them back.

SudDawg

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

with all the bow fisherman out there we should turn them loose on the carp there for a while. just a suggestion.

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Actually the Nebr. Game and Parks site that I saw this on, they were talking about bowfishing them. One guy was trying to get one while it was in the air.

SudDawg

6. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very dangerous, we had one about 15lbs hit the boat motor on the fly and we thought we had hit a stump. Lucky for my buddy and myself that it didn't hit one of us, it would have knock us out.... Be careful if you travel the Missouri river!

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We need to have an Asian Carp slugfest, use baseball bats, 2x4's, golf clubs, anything that you can swing... what a riot that would be!

Aaron

TA2D

8. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    those suckers are everywhere. you are very right that they are dangerous. been hit by them myself. if you get into a school of them they jump to the vibrations of your motor. when i was in high school we would take two boats and follow each other through the shallows.....the second boat would be the catch boat......after the first boat would go by they would jump and we would try to catch them......got hit quite a few times in the process.....but it was fun. i want to try bow fishing them but i dont have the setup to do it.

9. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    sounds like you need a suit of armor.LOL:big_smile:

10. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    looks like alot of garden food to me

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Good idea, but most Nebraskans stick with the time old favorite of cow manure for their fertilizer:tounge_out:

Although I'm sure some raccoons would appreciate a free meal.

SudDawg

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Thats a good video of what I see every time I go down to the rivers here in Il, and Mo (Kaskaskia, Mississippi). I hate those fish, but they are bulls to catch. They are probably one of the best fighting fish I have caught, biggest one being 25lbs so far. Here in Illinois they have a kill order on them, you cannot toss them back into the water alive!

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Good for Illinois. Hopefully if it's as bad in Nebraska as it is on the video, the Nebraska Games and Parks follows suit. Doubt it though. :sad2:

SudDawg

14. I personally think a good 10 guage shotgun would do the trick, but then again you dont want to hit anyone on the banks. Wouldnt be a bad idea to have that mandatory dont throw them back anywhere in the united states. I am sure if there is a river they will eventually swim up to it.

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Dopn't know how the laws read in Mo on the release of them. If Il.has the no release live law what does people do with the carcess.Just toss on bank or what.Can you imajine the smell after awhile and if you banks or anything like over here they stink bad enough allready from dead fish and the trash:angry: that the slobs seem to like to leave behind. I know they are going to have to do something with them but what.

16. suddawg

suddawg New Member

That's a good point. I think I would try to use them as cut bait at least or even possibly large live bait. Haven't heard if they're good eating or not, but it's worth a try. And if all else fails, i'm sure the raccoons will thank us.

SudDawg

17. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    you are absoultly right MRR trash is everywhere

18. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Based on others reports here at BOC they are great bait. I plan to get some next time out. Grass carp has worked excellent for me this year so figure the other should be equal.
    Just have to work on best method to get them fast. They are using trash can lids down south!? hmmm wow.

Do enjoy having several baits and let them tell me which they prefer.

For me shad has not been one of them lately.

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I bet the skeet shooters would have a field day out there and the catfish, gar and turtle's would be stuffed.

20. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    great post thanks for shareing