asian carp

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by stlrider, Aug 30, 2008.

1. stlrider

stlrider New Member

State:
    mo
    anybody tried eatin any of these.

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never tried them myself, but my cousin has. He said they were not fit top eat.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    they love them in china
    ive never tried them i dont like carp or buffalo so im sure i wont like them
    but if a fella did like em you could have a hell of a fish fry without spending cash on bait , they everywhere i threw a shocker in at kaskaskia and you wouldnt believe how many was jumping in the boat

4. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    I too have had several jump in the boat, what a mess slime goo all over. Accoring to the Missouri Conservationist they say they are better than carp or buffalo. The Y bones are bigger and they suggest removing them rather than scoring the fish. Never tried them myself. Had a friend cut one up for bait last week said he thought it was ok, he caught several fish on it a flathead and a channel.

5. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I hate to ressurect a somewhat old thread but at the same time I wanted to inform you guys in the area.I live near Chicago and recall a couple news stories on this species.I wouldn't say leave them on shore to die a pointless death but perhaps if someone catches one either use it as bait or eat it.

http://www.epa.gov/glnpo/invasive/asiancarp/

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

I would say leave them on the shore to die (if you dont use them as bait). Only peta or a tree hugin hippy would argue with that.

The things are nasty. The vultures wont even touch em. :smile2:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    It is recommended highly by DNR to make sure they do not get put back to live another day, If you can't deal with them flopping a "cruel" death, then smash em with a rock, or slice them up or what ever you need to do, but don't toss them rotten ass things back into the water alive. They make great Bait that is for sure. Have not fried one but tasted some that were smoked and they were fine.

8. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    A friend of mine has them jump on his pontoon often. He has a scoring machine and he fillets and scores them. He has eaten several and says they are excellant.

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just with them in fact being carp just make them sound flat out nasty to me

10. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Havent tried asian carp but i know Buffalo carp is tasty. The commercial fishermen around here on the mississippi make dang good money off of them.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i agree