Asian carp

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by warcraft1975, Jul 9, 2007.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

anyone got a clue how to catch one of these things? i am just wanting one or two good one for bait but have no idea how to get one. can i rod and reel them?cast net maybe? heck i wish i had a boat and a bow i know i would be able to get one that way. anyways any ideas are thanked in advance.

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i've caught quite a few of them using tandem yellow over white 3 in curly tails on light tackle. 15 lbs of carp on 8lb test is pretty fun in itself.

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom, I think your best chance would be cast netting off the top of Clinton spillway.............but there could be an issue with the 12" or less size fish in the castnet law. Even in a boat they are hit and miss in the river. I've shot a few with my bow, but they are hard to get close to. Sorry I can't be of more help.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You can do this at your own risk, as its not exactly legal. Use a large radius big mesh (1"mesh works best) Heavy net (1+lb of weight per radius foot) They prefer deep slack water, throw the net and be sure to stay in contact with the net When you feel them, JERK the net closed ASAP. promptly cut up and bait up and Hang on!!!!

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

ive got a big net i will have to try it out. charlie you are right about the bait law. but i bet a warden wouldnt say much about these things anyways since they dont want them back in the water alive anyhows.thanks for the advice guys at least i have an idea of how to get one

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

State:
    Lawrence, Kansas
    As far as I know, these &*($#$s are filter feeders.

I've snagged them with a flyrod, but have yet to get good hookset.
    I gave up on getting them to bite on anything, no matter how small a fly I had out in front of a swarm of 'em.

I think if I did hook one this way, it'd be luck.

using an 8-10 hook, bugger 5" below a float was where I did best.

Good luck... Gotta let us know if you figure it out. :)

7. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I caught a couple in my throw net a few weeks ago at clinton spillway. I wanted to use them for bait but would nly use them in the river. Charlie and I were fishing a tournament that night up on the lake and I think a feller would get hemmed up good if a conservation officer caught you using big head carp for bait on the lake. I think they were males but I could'nt risk possibly taking eggs to the lake. I recently picked up a little card about the big head and silver carp at Hacks. They say not to harvest bait from anywhere there is an infestation of Asian carp. I still catch shad at perry spillway. I know the difference between shad and Asian carp. The authorities are afraid that someone is going to net some asian carp and mistake them for german carp or buffalo and release them in a lake they are fishing in.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

the river is where i would use them anyways. been looking still havent got one yet though.might just have to forget about it till it happens i geuss..lol

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

by the way whats a german carp? not sure what that is

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here in Arkansas, they catch them by snagging, using big rods & reels and big treble hooks.

11. oakland river rat

oakland river rat New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    "Asian carp were introduced to the United States in the early '70s to control algae in catfish farms in the South. Floods washed them into the Mississippi River in the 1980s. They've worked their way upriver ever since."

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I usually "catch" them with my boat... motor around tight circles in a slack water area till they start jumping, then it's just a matter of time till you get one on board.

Be sure to have a billy club at the ready, as they'll flop quite violently until you convince them to lay still. Plus they bleed and crap all over the place. My boat looked like a crime scene after the last one I caught... :eek:oooh:

If you're using a net, you definitely need one that is heavy with large mesh and sinks fast - otherwise, they'll swim out from under it. I'll only mention in passing that Kansas restricts cast nets to 3/8" mesh...

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    German Carp is another name for Common Carp. Basically, it's any carp that's not a silver, bighead or grass carp...

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

ya know i was just looking at some of your pics on another website. glad you made it over here.

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

thanks for clearing that up iwas a wondering:smile2:

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well i finally got me two asian carp today. netting them pretty much works better for me around here than any other method. hit the two in the clinton spillway not very big but will work well for cutbait when i run down to the bluecat hole in a week. thanks guys

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Tom, don't freeze those asains the flesh will turn to mush!

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

really ???? well thats just great thats the first thing i did with them is freeze them and vacum pack like i do my shad.

19. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    IF you vacuum seal you should be alright have frozen, several by wrapping in saran wrap as soon as possible, and has worked, when unfrozen scale and cut them up, their hide is tough. should make good coon bait, as oily and bloody as they are.
    JIM

20. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i hope they dont go to mush that would kinda erk me, i worked hard to get them. carp in general make pretty decent coon bait