Asian Carp

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Todd Strong, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Check this asian out, I netted a couple weeks ago, can you imagine 40 mph on river and have this lunker hit you. This one won't be jumping, he made some fine bait for the night. Sorry for the bad picture was taken from my phone, roughneckcatman is the one holding the fish.

Attached Files:

2. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    man that would definitly do some damage. up here we have a redneck fishing tounament for those thing. you basicly just see how many you can put in your boat without sinking it.

3. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    jeez i didnt know they got that big I have never seen one still, that thing could kill someone

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's a bighead carp in your photo. They don't jump.

It's the silver carp that jump; you don't catch them in a net very often because they're so skittish.

The silvers get just about as big as the bigheads, though, and can still make a mess of things when they jump in your boat.

Fortunately we don't see them much on the Missouri except in off-current areas like creeks, etc. -- they don't get out in the main river current so there's not much chance of hitting them while motoring at high speed. The Mississippi river is a different story...

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    The bigheads can hit upwards of 100 lbs and I believe the silvers cap out at 60ish.

I just wish that they were catchable on a rod and reel.

The only thing I can get them to bite is a 10/0 treble and there is a hefty fine for that bait this time of the year.

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    This is one boated on the Mississippi. We were so proud........

Attached Files:

7. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Thanks Marty for info, I knew it was an big head relative to the silver carp. But I didn't know they had no wings.

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    This was posted in another forum I read on. It is the new Arkansas Record bighead that weighed 103 lbs, 8 ounces and was 57" long with a 40" girth.

That thing probably couldn't jump out of the water if it wanted it's so fat!!

Attached Files:

9. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the other day while on the river one of them asian carp jumped out of the main channel while i was motoring around, it landed on the rocks and flopped around for a while i tried getting to it but it flopped back in, it had to be at least thirty pounds.

10. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
  11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I hate those stupid things, but they do make great cut bait for the blues during the dog days of July and August.:wink:

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  13. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
  14. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Man they are pretty ugly carp:smile2:

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    crazy ol fish....KILL EM ALL!!!!

16. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not my fish I just seen it on that website and thought that you guys would like seeing it.

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    That albino is cool looking, bet he did a double take before launching that arrow. Thanks for the pictures everyone.

18. IswallerdaJuneBuG

IswallerdaJuneBuG New Member

State:
    MissourI
    nasty fish, great for fryin:roll_eyes:

19. Finesse

Finesse New Member

State:
    Sacramento,Ca
    heres my PB Koi, i actualy fish for Carp only catch and release. these fish are really hard fighters and are in just about every body of water you can find.

she went 21lbs
    [​IMG]

heres a pig of a Carp goin 28lbs
    [​IMG]

20. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That fish is sweet, I didn't think we had asian carp around nashville yet but the last tourney I fish last month a couple of boats experienced the fish for the first time. Soon enough I am sure we will be infested with them like everyone else.