Asian carp?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jdstraka, Aug 22, 2006.

1. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Every one I Would like to Know just what is an asian Carp? I understand they are good catfish bait? I know what a common carp is and I am also familier with the buffalo,(Was Married to one once LOL) and a grass carp but don't know what an asian carp is or how you go about catching some. Any help would be appreciated thank You.

2. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Not 100% sure but I believe you are referring to Koi. If so rather expensive bait.

3. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Aren't those the red, white, and black carp people keep in their small outdoor and indoor ponds?

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    An asian carp is what people call the big head and silver carp. To catch them you can either let the things jump into the boat or throw a cast net on them.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    JD just type in asian carp on the internet and you can find out just about anything you want to know about them. And yes some people do say thier good to eat. They can get darn big.

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    JD their is several articles in Missouri's section, on Asian carp, their something to see,
    Jim

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks Guy For the information. Fixing to look it up right now. just learning this computer thing Thanks for barring with Me. J.D.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My understanding is they got into the Missouri River during the flood of 93 and they are fast becoming overpopulated.One ole boy told me that he had a fish and game warden tell him if he caught one to please not throw it back they're wanting to get rid of them.-----------pk powell:smile2:

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Yep thats what they are. They are plankton feeders so they are really tough to catch on a hook. They tend to jump into boats. I've never chopped on up, but people do say they make good bait, just make sure you use them as cut bait it is illegal to posses them alive, or return them to the water live.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    we foul hook the crap out of these things in the spring below cannelton dam on the ohio river. they are a blast to catch! as for cat bait, i have tried it with no luck. it's not too bad to eat though. got a lot of bones. if you like spoonbill( paddlefish) you'll like these. taste about the same.

11. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Just watch you don't get knocked out of your boat by one of those things!