Asian carp

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by beaneye46, May 2, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    has anyone seen these asian carp? on the wabash last week, there was a big boil of the asian carp jumping out of the water as we drove the boat by.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    have Seen Them On The Mississippi Down Around Elsberry,mo. Hadone Rock The Boat When It Jumped Out Of The Water.didn't Know What It Was At Frist Then That Night On The News They Were Talking About Them.sure Have A Way Of Getting You Attention

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Yeah, I have heard they have become a real nuciense in the southern states. I have even read an article about a 'tournement' where fishermen see who can catch the most. How they catch them is driving up and down the river drilling them with baseball bats as they jump. The state (i forget which one) sponsors these events because they want as many dead as they can. Sounds like a blast!

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I think the asian carp are hired assasains from the catfish and they have more members than the BOC and they are out to knock us fisherman out of the boats.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
  6. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I read somewhere on the internet that they are making their way up into the Ohio River now.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It was reported last year that they are in the Ohio . The INDNR. told off a man being knocked out of his boat by one of these fish. at first the co didnt believe the guy. Then he took a boat ride on that section of the river. the fish jumped in his boat. that made the news ,as a warning to boaaters on the river. The carp homerun derby does sound like fun. don't let peta find out . they say poor fish didn't know no better. I say it shouldn't have run into the stick.

8. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Has anyone over heard of these hurting a fishery yet. I try to make it to Kentucky lake at least once a year and supposedly they are in there pretty thick. I've seen pictures of boaters with garbage can lids to deflect the carp. The biggest fear is the native fish but I have not heard anything about hurting any waters yet. Same thing with the zebra mussels in Lake Michigan. Home run derby does sound like a blast but can you imagine getting hit by a 15 pound fish while traveling 30 miles an hour down the river. OUCH!!!!
    Mike

9. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    arn't asian carps and koi fish the same thing?

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Well Asian Carp is kinda misleading. There are several kinds of "asian carp. There is the silver carp, grass carp, black carp, and i believe koi fit in there somewhere. The ones that we are talking abut jumping are silver carp. Grass carp are in ponds everywhere (they are a diploid genetically a'enhanced fish that are sterile). Think of it like catfish. If i saw I saw a catfish it could be a flattie, channel, blue, etc.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Here is a good pic of what Asian Carp look like, they are caught all the time over here on the Illinois side. People catch them and toss them back up on the bank, or rip out their gills and toss them back into the water.

Attached Files:

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i havent seen them jumping yet,but i did catch one 2 years ago on a spitin image top water. it was caught about a mile and a half down river from oakdale dam on the tippy.

that base ball bat thing sound funer than mail boxes. lol

14. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    The I have seen the Asian Carp (Silvers and Bigheads) all up and down the Ohio all the way to Louisville. I have not been nuch past Lexington. I fish at the mouth of Walbash and I know that the Bigheads are there up into the Walbash for around a mile haven't been too far up there but I know that there is a part of the Old Walbas I believe that it is call Old River that is full of silver and bigheads from when it floods. The Asians are mainly filter feeders and are becoming more present every year. I can remember 10 years ago when I never saw one. around 7 years ago I saw two and then the next year there were hundreds. I have seen a lot of them in the 70 pound range and every thing that I read says that they could get to and exceed 100 pounds.

15. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I know i seen an article in the news paper about the asian carp in Hovey Lake which is an old oxbow of the ohio river. I havent seen any while ive been out in a boat yet.

16. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    yeah hovey lake is full of em... we caught a few about the size of my hand in a cast net the other day..they are some goofy lookin fish and they have the same texture as a shad but thier eyes set funny on thier head..almost under the fish.
    also netted a few small ones near alcoa on the ohio a few weeks ago....that baseball bat thing sounds like a trip!

17. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just read in the Peoria paper on line that the saugeye are decline rapidly north of Peoria in the Illinois River because of these carp. Won't be long and there won't be any kind of fish left.