Asian Carp?

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by DANZIG, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i haven't seen or heard much talk about them in our area, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. i really hope they dont take over like every where else. it wont be long if they are around for us to start seeing them in the lakes and rivers. we will have to introduce another predator fish to start culling the school if they keep taking over at this rate. thats what they did in fla when the talopia started taking over. just a bad situation over all however.

3. River dog

River dog New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I read in the newspaper that they are closing shipping
    channels to keep the asian carp out of the great lakes...

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Sounds like a good time to re-introduce the tiger musky.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    you will know it when they get there ! As a boy 30 some years ago there were no blue cats up the Ohio river either ...Need something bigger than Tiger Musky to eat the big ones...Maybe some Amazon Cats n Bull sharks !

6. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    id like to see them introduce the WELS catfish or the Goonch. those big boys could handle those little MFers and they would be a blast for us westerners to catch.

7. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    my brother says he has seen them

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    What and introduce another non-native species? That could be a very bad idea, just like the introduction of the Asian Carp.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    it worked in FLA with the Peacock Bass. The reason species like the Asain Carp are a problem is because they dont have a natural predator that can eat them and control the population. so you need to introduce one and it will put things back in balance. now im not a biologist, but i know it has been done in places before. i know in KY they introduced tiger muskie to a lake around here a while back to control the population of a native species that had gotten out of control (i cant think of what it is off hand ill look it up).

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the goonch would eat allt he bass..........

scroll down

HAHA

12. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I'm not familiar with the reason the Peacock was introduced in Fl., what did they do that the common Blackbass couldn't, or was it more for tourism and money, please explain? I do understand your point...fight fire with fire it can be done but that's tricky, not even the biologist can say with certianty what affect the introduction of a non-native species in the long term.

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the tilapia were acting similar to the asians they were growing faster than the black bass could eat them. they get to big, so they introduced peacocks to take out the bigger tilapia that the black bass couldn't keep under control. or at least that is my understanding. peacocks are native to the amazon, not anywhere up this far north.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
  15. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    But if you introduce the Goonch catfish and it does not eat the asian carp then you have 2 problems to deal with. What if the catfish ate all the other catfish instead? I would hope that they would study something like this for a long time before they actually do it. We already have enough problems with invasive speacies we don't need anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_invasive_species_in_North_America

Here is a list of the invasive species for North America. It is Wikipedia so I'm not sure that all the info is correct but it can't all be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  16. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you noticed, flatheads are on that list. that worked out well for us all.

obviously adding a species to an ecosystem is very very complicated. but you have to take risks sometimes to cure a problem. could work out to be agood thing for the sportsman as well as the systems.

17. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The reason they stopped the introduction of the Tiger Musky is because as a hybrid it grew very fast because of its ferocious appetite.I could see a full grown tiger eating any but the largest of asian carp.

See in a regular ecosystem a fish such as the Tiger Musky would and did reak havoc cleaning out most other fish in the system.Thats the reason that program was discontinued in the ealry 80's.

18. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I believe it could work. I just think that they need to study it and make sure the conseqences are not as bad. Everytime they introduce a new species there is a conseqence. Like the asian carp. They were great until the floods and they escaped into the river and now look. Or the Northern Snakehead. That is still just at the beginning of what is going happen from that just because people were importing them and some escaped and were released. The Northern snakehead might just eat every other fish in our rivers if they get populated like the asian carp.

19. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    There's only one species of fresh water fish that I know of which could put a dent in the asian carp population, asian grow so fast that most native fish can't eat them at 40 or so lbs. The Nile Perch at 500+lbs could gulp down several 40lb Asians and still be looking for more. Alas I think our waters are to cold for them and they would eat everthing in their paths......but just how much fun it would be to see a big Nile Perch rippin' through a school of Asians

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

ya go ask spain what they think of the wels. its worse than the asians. cleaning out everything growing fast and spreading like a fire.