Asian Carp

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SmokinBarrel, Dec 2, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Another reason to reduce the creel limit on Catfish. Maybe an increase in the Catfish population would force them to target more Asian Carp as a food source.:eek:oooh:

Link: Asian Carp - Great Lakes

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Take a big flatty to gobble a 100 lb carp.....got my 808 ready..lets go get him lol

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yeah they was showing this on fox news as well today.I hope it works , talk about one big chum pile...

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    whats the length of toxicity of rotenone??

5. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I read an article a year or two ago about bighead carp, they are hard to catch but they have made a difference in water quality, they eat all that green stuff.

7. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    They use Potasium Permanganate (Sp) which neutralizes the toxin. So in this case at the end of the 6 mile stretch (which I believe is at the dam there) they'll have a drip which should nullify the chemical.

Just FYI, the state biologists weren't excited at all about this, this came down from the Feds and political pressure. I'll be interested in hearing/seeing the results when it's all said and done.

8. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just didn't get how it could kill all the other fish but not the Asian carp.... How sad and what a waste. I am curious of this will affect the ecosystem. I mean if they killed all the other fish and there are still Asian carp left. then it sounds like free reign for the carps to grow even more.