Asian Carp

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by backwoodsman68geric, Mar 1, 2009.

1. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anyone ever ate asian carp? At the Illinois deer show today they had pamphlets from a bow fishing group showing how to dress them? Ive cut enough of'em up for cutbait and the meats pure white but never could bring myself to cook any. Slimy critters! and boy oh boy do they have bones!

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't get past the stank. Same with drum. I'm not opposed to eating it...so long as someone else prepares it. I will cut it up for bait. Bait is supposed to stink...not food. I'm afraid the kitchen would reek of carp slime for days. :eek:oooh:

3. ShotgunBill

ShotgunBill New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The big ones have a big fillet on the upper side under the y bones that are not bad at least my wife sister and her husband like them, but heck they eat fish sticks.:wink:

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Carp are good smoked, I would think Asian carp are about the same. Someone told me that they canned carp and the bones were gone. I don't have any personal experience with it, but Have smoked carp and didn't spend too much time cleaning it. My wife likes carp, but she knows how to cook it so it tastes good.

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I heard that they had a blind taste test between asian carp and tuna and people actually prefered the carp. I work with some bermese refugees and they like them. They want me to bring them every asian carp I catch.

6. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    Thanks to all for responding. I was afraid I was the only one leery of eating asian carp. The pamphlet shows them saving about 3 oz. off of a 8ish lb fish between the spine and ribs and it still has bones? Seems like alot of waste and work to me? Ive ate drum/white perch and they arent bad espescialy in the spring. Some get wormy it seems after the water warms up. I know a couple that fish's the Illinois river and they can alot of rough fish. Drum etc and pickle some too, but they wont touch the asian carp.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I myself am leary of eating something with a bait like consistensy. They are soft like a chub, and stink like heck. I tried smoking one once. (I could'nt keep it lit, and it made me cough my head off) I'll keep feeding the coons with them...

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard the same thing. If you've eaten canned salmon, you've eaten the bones. Even the backbones are in there! So, if you can the carp, the bones will get so soft you can eat them with no trouble.

9. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    Rumor has it the fish market in Pearl is buying them at .30lb? Supposed to be grinding them up for corrections and food banks? I know they did buy some last year but I dont know for sure what they were doing with them? Make good setline and trapping bait. Im afraid I'd have to awful hungry to eat one.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd have to be a survivorman kinda hungry to eat one...

11. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    I eat them all the time very white meat has a texture like chicken when fried once i learned how to clean them i perfer them over most other fish i have learned how to make boneles meat out of them when you fillet hold the knife way from the skin when when skinning then and it will take most bone out and red meat they are better than most fish when cleaned correctly better than walleye to me

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I like to fillet the sides off and then put the fillet, bones included, in to a pressure cooker for a while with a little Lawry's seasoning salt and lemon pepper. That will cook the bones down until they dissolve. When that step is finished, take the fish and mix in egg and saltine crackers and make fish patties. Bag them up two to a package and then freeze them. Whenever you want some, just put a little olive oil in a pan and throw the frozen patty in and cook in for a few minutes on each side until it's good and warm and you're ready to eat.

A lady at work told me about this recipe and said that her husband doesn't even try snaggings spoonbill anymore, he just goes after the asian carp because they start better. I'd have to say I agree with him now after trying this.

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They can just like any other rough fish. Seth is right they make great fish patties. :wink:

14. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I try about everything, so I cut out the red meat, and most bones as they are such large filets. After frying a bunch (more than I could eat), I went to the local bait shop where guys play cards at lunch. They ate everything and enjoyed it. One guy asked if it was spoonbill as he knew that I snagged. When I said, "No, it is those asian carp", everyone looked at me. Then agreed that it was good eat'n. There is waste, but you can catch so many and the filets are so big on the 30-40lbers we get on the Missi. Seth's idea sounds good too. Sometimes I take thick filets from big fish, coat them with olive oil, salt, pepper and put them in the George Foreman for about 3 - 5 minutes. Quick, low cal, and easy cleanup or the larger pieces of meat. Don't go longer than 5 minutes or they will overcook!
    Yes, Pearl,IL does have a buyer for asians, but the price is not too high, but guys net enough fish to sink a boat at times. My nephew had to help a guy get his boat out of the water one day.