Asian Carp on the Missouri - Catching & Cutting

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    So I now know how to "catch" one of those dang asian carp after he jumps into your boat.

But how else do you all catch them? Where do you look and what is your procedure for getting them?

I was told that you can sort of "herd" them toward the shore by motoring along slowly in slack water and then toss the net once you see their wakes out in front of you. Didn't get to try that out completely last weekend, since the one jumping into the boat took care of our bait needs for the day.

Surely you all don't rely on them jumping in the boat every time, do you??

Do you freeze the leftover bait or use only fresh meat on every trip? I'm thinking that vacuum-packing the meat and freezing it should preserve the freshness about as good as possible.

And how do you all prepare them for use? Skin on or off? White meat or red meat? Soak them in the fish's blood?

I learned to stay out of the gut cavity when filleting them. That's just plain nasty in there.

2. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I caught a small one the other day in the cast net....It was the first one ive seen in the Ohio. It was only around 8" long and I didnt try to use it as bait... Have you had any luck with them? Compared to skipjack and shad?

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've always caught them with the throw net, or had them jump in the boat. They feed on plankton just like the shad so where the shad are, they should be also. I have noticed that they hang out in the slack water behind the wing dykes.

I've heard of fellas' catching em on rod and reel also. they were using that carp dip bait that you can buy at a bait shop / wal-mart.

I know one thing for certain, they are awesome to use for cut bait!

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They eat plankton of course, but those are pretty hard to get on the hook. My buddy caught an Asian carp on a crappie jig, but he hasn’t been able to repeat that feat, so I don't recommend it. I think a cast net or a dip net is the best bet. I’ve cast netted a few of them from the bank, but it can be pretty hard on the net. Maybe bow fishing is the way to go? Ok, I’m no help. :0a19: :0a19:

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I have a question for you asian carp guys. I don't have them in my waters thankfully, but they sure sound like they do well for ya. I catch regular old common carp all the time in my cast net. The smaller one's two pounds or under will go on a limbline if I feel like it but the big one's I just dump back into the water. Are these Asian carp more oily than a regular common carp or any other reason they work so good for ya. I might need to start cutting up bigger carp for cut bait to see how well they work.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I really don't know why asian carp works so well, but most of the locals who've been catching big fish have been getting them on the carp. At the same time, these folks aren't catching much if anything on cut shad or anything else. Live bait is a different question of course, but as far as cut bait goes, it's my understanding that the carp is currently #1, followed by skipjack herring and then shad. I've personally been out on the river several times in recent weeks with shad and had hardly a bite at all.

My theory is that the asian carp are displacing shad (they compete directly for the same food: plankton), and because of their sheer numbers, are becoming the main forage base in the Missouri River.

Everybody reports that shad are harder to find on the river than they used to be, while at the same time reporting that those dang carp are everywhere. A report I read today says an asian carp can eat up to twice it's body weight in plankton every day, and there's no way that can have anything but a negative impact on the shad population.

And FWIW, the "jumping" carp that we're referring to here are actually Silver Carp; Bighead Carp are a different species and don't jump. Both are Asian native species that were imported by an aquaquatic farmer in Arkansas back in the late 80's or early 90's and accidentally introduced in the Mississippi River system during a flood. The population has exploded since then.

7. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have snagged them down in your neck of the woods and if you are fishing the stretch I think you are from pics on here there is a place you will see a ton of them on top of the water in a discharge area of the Bayer plant and we snagged a ton of them. It is a blast and will wear ya out doing it. Easy way to get bait and hang on when ya hook one,you will be around the boat several times befor ya land it:big_smile:

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I understand that they got into the Missouri in the Flood of 93. I have also heard of fishermen out in boats getting a black eye from them jumping into the boat.I didn't however know that they made very good cut bait. That is interesting!-------------pk powell:big_smile:

9. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would have to agree with the theory that the carp are crowding out the shad. I read someplace that in the Illinois River thats basically all there are now and the commercial fishermen that are left have to fish carp or nothing. Luckily for them there are Asian fish markets that are happy to have the carp. I caught a big carp on a jugline and since the bait was a piece of shrimp I have to believe he didn't mistake it for plankton so he must have been a common carp.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

Well, that does make sense if there's that dang many carp in your river. They will eat whatever the most abundant in there home waters. I guess if there's enough baby carp to take place of the shad it's just one baitfish taking the place of another. Now those dang flying carp...that's a little dangerous. I can just see somebody getting knock out of their boat hauling down the river at night. I read about some guys on the BOC who have to use trash can lids as shield while running down the river. That can't be fun at all.

11. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    We normally get them behind the wingdykes, the slacker the water behind the dyke the better. Pulling the boat in tends to displace them a little. We pull the boat up to the dyke about midway, and wait 5-10 minutes with the boat tied up. Then use a throw net off the back of the boat. They are very hard on a thrownet, ours was new this spring, and is all but shot now, from just a few bait runs for them. We fish it with the skin on, as it is pretty tough stuff, in the fast water. I have never paid attention to the red meat or white meat, just chunked it up and fished it. The fresher the better on freezing and reusing it, we have had some that we caught early and kept in the boat all day, and then froze, and after re-thawing, it doesn't have half the resilence of the fresh stuff.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm becoming a big asian carp guy right now. Marty we go try to get them to jump in the boat and when that doesn't work We throw net them up. With the Kaw as low as it is right now they are pretty darned easy to come by there.

I know right now carp is outfishing shad By a large margin. My circle of catfishnig friends has caught a good 350-400 lbs of fish on carp in the last two weeks or so.

I tryed freezing an asian carp once, good and fresh, kept on Ice untill I got home and vaccume packed and froze it. When i unthawed it to use The flesh was all mushy. I'd have to say asian carp is not a bait that takes to freezing very well. I also ALWAYS leave the skin on It stays on the hook better. I just fillet them like I would a fish I was gonna eat. as for the oil thing I'm not sure But they sure do Smell Awful fishy....I just got home from fishing and I've washed My hands twice and I and still smell it!!!!! Must Be time to go cuddle up to the wife in Bed....I'll let You all know if its as good for the ladies as it is for the catfish. LMFAO

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Chris, those large common carps you are referring to make outstanding baits. Filet them out just like you would a bass. Take the filet and use your knife to take the skin and scales off. Leave a small section at one of the filet that still has the skin and scales as this is where you will put your hook. If you hook it through the skin it wont come off your hook no matter how hard the catfish yank on it. Take your filet, and then cut it into 2 inches wide by 6-9 inches long pieces. Place your hook into the section with the skin still on, (this should be the very end of your bait piece) and cast out and HOLD ON. If you hang your presentation into the water, if you have done it right it will appear to "swim" just like an injured baitfish, but with a lot more scent. Change your baits every 20 minutes or so. Good Luck.

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well I don't know why carp works so well in the heat but it does. Shad works real well in winter and spring. I think it's like humans I know I could not eat the same thing every day without getting sick. Why should a fish be different. If a shad and or carp are next to each other. Why not go after the bigger different meal. As far on how to catch them. Cast net. Only have had one stay in the boat after jumping in this year.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    So with the cast net, are you targeting specific fish that you can see or just throwing in a "good looking" spot and hoping for the best?

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Marty,
    We have spent enough time on the water that we've been able to keep track of where the asians are hiding out. Its very hard to catch the ones that You see IMO unless they land in the boat. We have had very good luck netting them with a big, Heavy, fast sinking, thow net (8' net 1" mesh 1+ lbs of lead per linar foot)

Also don't discount the good ole grass carp and buffalo. We have caught cats on both the last 2 weeks. While launching the Boat last Fri, There were some fellas fishing just east of the Boat ramp. They caught 3 big grass carp in about 10 minutes and gave all of them to us. the ramp wasn't busy so we preped them right there, worked out pretty sweet.

17. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I must be one of those people who have not had any luck with these carp..I have had them hit me in the head, the back, my shoulder, break my fish finder and knock over my tackle box.. I have fished with them several times and have never caught one fish with those nasty ^*^*&^&'s I found they were a good source of food for the guls..I had one jump in the boat and I stuck my knife in its side and threw it up on the dike.. I went on down to the end fishing and about an hour later a gul or some type of long legged bird was there feasting on it..so from now on...I feed the birds with them, when ever I can.

18. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Marty there is a sewage water treatment outlet just below the New Haven ramp and I go there once in awhile searching for shad. I often see Asians right at the top of the water where the water comes into the river , with there mouths open , eating whatever is in that stuff. I have never thrown a cast net to purposely catch them but it would be easy to do. We actually do get enough asians by going behind the dikes and making them jump into the boat. In fact we get them to jump into the boat when we don't want them to. they are thick as flys around New Haven. If you have a water treatment outlet on your stretch I'd check it out for the asians. They aren,t always there but often are.

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO

Yeah, and I'm the lucky winner that get's to throw the net. haha Actully I enjoy it nothing like netting up a 25-30lb asian.

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    And a great job you do!