Asian carp kill on Illinois River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Driver, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone read about the asian carp kill on the Illinois? It was in the Peoria Journal Star Sunday and Pekin Daily Times tonight. Say it may be a virus. Virus is one the DNR has known about for 15+ years. I know tha River was stinkin' Sat night. Lots of carcasses floatin down river.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    is The Carp The Only Spieces Being Affected? Sure Hope It Isn't ,killing The Good Fish Like Catfish.

3. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Article I read tonight said the virus is specific to carp. Only fish effected so far other than asians it mentioned were carpsuckers and only a few so far. At his point the virus is only a theory. Fisheries pathologists are looking into it to verify what the cause is.

4. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    natures way of crowd controle!

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    gather them things up and sendum to flathunter,he has some buddies that are real hungary. lol

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Asian carp are an invasive species they should die. :big_smile:

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It wouldn't bother me any if all the asian carp died.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Maybe, Just maybe......They are experimenting with something to get rid of them:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: !!! That would be nice for sure. If they find that it is a virus that asian carp are the only effected fish, They should clone it and drop it in every river in the USA and we can say good riddens to them.

9. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    only good carp are dead ones

10. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    good riddens i say to those devils:roll_eyes:

11. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Nah nah na nah, nah na nah na, Goood bye, Good bye

Carp are indeed an invasive species around Iowa here, but it is unfortunate to hear about the kill.

This concerns me because recently we had a kill around here in our streams and it wasn't just carp... it took all of our bait fish with them!!!

DNR is suggesting chemicals one day, disease the next....

Who knows... I would warn everyone to be careful what they are eating and follow this one closely!!!

12. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I talked to a bait shop owner today and he told me he had talked to the DNR and that they said that the asians were stacked up behind the dam and that they think there were so many that the virus took hold and that is why there was such a large kill. Hope it doesn't affect the rest of the fishery .

13. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hit the River below the Peoria Dam on Sunday. Saw asian carcasses littering the bank and stinkin up the place. Along with the asians I also saw some dead channels (3), skipjack (1), buffalo (1), and sheephead (3). Has me wondering a bit about the whole "carp virus" theory. By far (100's or more to one) the most we saw were asians, but just seeing the other species we saw makes me go "hmmmmm?". We locked through and it seemed there were just as many asians dead above the dam as below.

Anyone heard or read anymore about the kill?

14. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
  15. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Has anyone heard if they are dieing anywhere else, such as the Mississippi?

Eric

16. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with a lot of the other anglers on here, that anything that kills Bighead Carp and nothing else should be applauded. We've been living in fear of them for a few years now on my favorite river which is a tributary of a larger river which is starting to get infested with them. I might point out though that your typical Yellow Carp, Grass Carp, etc. are all ASIAN. They are all technically invasive species from China. However, we deal with them because they do not jump into our boats and cause us harm, or breed like rabbits and overtake our fisheries. In fact, some of these carp species have become very valuable forage to our North American gamefish. Nevertheless, I see no value in Bighead Carp whatsoever, and would like to see them eliminated by whatever means ASAP. Bigheads, though, are a mere afterthought to the snakehead fish which is a voracious predator that could cause serious damage to any watershed it inhabits. It can also live on land for a while, too. As much as I despise Bigheads, the snakehead concerns me to a much greater degree. Sorry for the rant, but let's get rid of these lousy invaders, and prosecute those who bring them into our country unlawfully.

17. CATDUDE

CATDUDE New Member

State:
    illinois
    Catmaster...where at in illinois are you finding snakeheads?

18. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
  19. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    What I understand is that there are four different species of asian carp in our waters now. Bigheads, grass , black and Silver carp. The old yellow carp or river carp as most folks call em are also foreign invaders but they are European. But it is the big heads and the silvers that are taking over our waterways. And it is acutally the silvers that do all the boat jumping. They are a menace to fisherman and to the fishery itself. I hope for their extinction but I doubt we'll ever be rid or them. They seem to have found themselves a home. I hope the rumor of a "carp only" virus is true, if it is then I want a couple quarts of that stuff to dump into the Missouri.

20. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Or the ones you use for big flatheads..

Good to see that the Bigheads have met a demise of sorts. I would hate to see them start popping up in the Rock River.

Ray