Asian Carp in the Wabash

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by rks1949, Sep 7, 2009.

1. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have noticed that the asian carp are migrating farther North in the Wabash river. Talk about a pain in the rear:angry:! They jump all over the place (and into your boat) making a slimy,bloody mess. I've heard they make good cut bait,but would just as soon they leave the river( it's not gonna happen though). Is it normal for them to expand their territory,up stream? In a peroid of one month they have migrated up river about 6 miles,(and it's getting worse)!How do you guy's deal with them? Ron

2. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    What part of the bash are you from?? We have had them on my part of the Wabash for awhile now. Some days they are all over the river, other days I will only see a few.

3. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Vincennes area. I actually live in L'ville,but launch from the Vincennes ramp most of the time. We noticed them down stream at the mouth of the EMBARRAS (where it meets) the Wabash about 6 miles South of Vincennes. Now they are South of the ramp at Vincennes,in one month's time:crazy:! I had one land on the back deck of the boat two weeks ago.It looked like I had field dressed a deer on the boat,blood,and slime,every where. As soon as they hit the boat,the blood fly's everywhere,what a mess!:angry: Ron

4. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This invasive species has literally killed the Illinois river as well. A friend of mine - formerly at the head of IDNR , stated the Asian Carp are basically unstoppable - moving up river to actually begin affecting the Great Lakes as well. In his words - quote - If the Asian Carp get to the Great Lakes , it is over ,destroying commercial fishing , costing billions upon billions.

IDNR erected electronic "fences" to keep these infernal creatures from reaching them - but reports have been issued that they have been found within the Great Lakes.

With this knowledge - it would be safe to assume the problem will continue to grow - not just for the Illinois and the Great Lakes - but ANY body of water. These fish have no natural predators , and basically can live eating anything - and can soon choke out native species.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but the prognosis looks pretty grim...

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We have had them up here at Terre Haute for some time now, gettin worse every year. :angry:

6. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe when they get to the Great Lakes,something will decide they like to eat them!:roll_eyes: And after they all migrate North,the problem will solve it's self!:wink: (wishful thinking). I've heard they do make good cut bait,for cats,though. Ron

7. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One can only hope - I have had several attack the boat and the passengers while on the Illinois - haven't been back in over three years due to them - any where between a pound and forty pounds whacking you in the head tends to put a damper on anything!!!:0a32:

8. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah! My wife almost jumped out of the boat last week,when one came at her!:smile2: Man they must be stupid! Most fish run away from noise,or boats!:eek:oooh: Ron

9. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ya know I have told several people about these fish - some don not believe it is possible - ya gotta see it to believe it...:crazy:

10. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah,once they see it,they can't believe it! I guess we will have to go to using "full face crash helments". One or two of these in the O'l snot box,will ruin your day out on the river! Ron

11. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    An old friend took me out on the Wabash last year and I saw them for the first time, almost like a nightmare. Hope someone can come up with a way to sterilize them so they can't reproduce, or somethig else effective.

12. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    gotta do something about the damned things they are out of control!!!

13. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We need to have one big BOC outing to hold a tournament like this and wipe them out for good!!

I'm so glad that we don't have these things in our neck of the woods.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWiaqGjQaU

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    They have made a mess of the Kaskaskia as well . I quit fishing below Carlyle cause of these . Just reeling in your bait will snag one . They are thick in there bad .

15. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    easy enough to catch - they do ALL the work for ya....

16. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    just gotta wear some protective head gear LOL!!!

17. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Going out on the Wabash,tomorrow (if there's enough water)!:embarassed: Yeah the guy's down South, do wear full face crash helments. Looks kinda funny,but it beats a carp in the face:smile2:! Ron

18. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We went out on the Wabash,Sunday. We mostly run South of Vincennes,but decided to fish North this time. We ran up to the Russellville area,and fished from there down river. Caught alot of "eaters" (2-4lb range),and had a great time. Had one fish,break off at the Red Skelton Bridge,using cut/bait. It was a nice one,but didn't make it to the boat. After fishing for around 5 hours,we noticed that we didn't see the first asian carp all day? The last time we were out,they were every where. Does the water temp seem to effect their activity? The water was at 70-71 degrees. I don't know what caused them to "not show up",but we didn't miss having them around either! :roll_eyes: Ron

19. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I noticed that they seem to be more active at night. Although I have seen them fly during daylight hours - there was a lot more hitting us after sunset.

20. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    rumor has it that some folks on the Illinois river are making them into cat/dog food. Hopefully this will take off and there will be a commercial market for those nasty things. Maybe the commercial guys will leave the catfish alone and go after the carp!!