Asian Carp in Tennessee River

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Zing, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Last few trips below the Pickwick dam, we have noticed Asian carp jumping in the current from the generators. Has anyone else noticed or seen them? I was hoping they would not show up.

2. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't confirm that it was an Asian Carp, but last week in the Ft. Loudon pool we saw two large fish jump in front of our boat while running up river. There were not your typical orange colored carp, but they certainly were not bass or stripers. Hoping they were not Asian Carp.

The have been confirmed as far upstream as Nickajack lake. I'm sure it will just be a matter of time until they can be found all over the Tennessee River.

David
    Knoxville TN

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Be careful! Had one hit me on Cumberland river KY ! Just about did knock me for a loop:angry: If you have them jumping in front of the boat you might slowww down for a minute . till you get past the school !

4. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have not had them jump in front of the boat yet, I am not looking forward to that day. My son wants to shoot them with a bow, that might be fun as long as it is safe.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Hush your mouth... I hope everyone of them die.. Sure can hurt a man if they jump and hit you.,
    I have heard a few people talking about them at the dam. but the last time I was there. They were saying that the asian carps were jumping. and all that i did see was buffalo . And that was for a 5 hour trip there at Pickwick dam. But you know there in the Ky end. So they have to be here also.
    pete

6. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    You guys sure don't want them. There are places here that at times you can run up into and literally hundreds are there jumping all around you, hitting boat, etc. I have ended up with 5 or 6 in boat at one time and they make a mess as well. The biggest I have had thus far were two at same time about 30# each. I also had one jump in hit bottom of baot and richochet out the back but bend the steering arm on my motor as he went. I am tempted to shoot me a few though but I am going to use skeet shells. PULL:wink:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I am with you there. LOL 12 gauge and say splat. LOL
    I tried to call you back the other day. but did not get a answer.
    Pete

8. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pete we were fishing off the catwalk, and you would only see one at a time but I'm pretrty sure it was an asian carp it was coming out of the water at least 3-4 ft at times. Have you been doing any good?

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man I am going to have watch for them. A 30# could break some nice rods really quick and that wouldn't go over very well with me.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds pretty dangerous to me, I hope I never have to run into them