Asian Carp in Ohio River????

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Jul 15, 2008.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Sunday, put in the Salt River and headed towards the moth to fish where the Salt enters into the Ohio. 2 LARGE silver colored fish jumped out of the water no more than 6 inches from the rear of the boat. They had to have been 3-4 feet in the air. I was talking to the city maintenance guys this morning and said they have heard of these big carps jumping into fishing boats and one hit a man in the head when it jumped into the boat. ASIAN CARP ???? HAs anyone else seen this around Louisville, West Point or Brandenburg???? What do you do, don't they destroy the eco system of the river???? :crazy:

Linda

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    UK is trying to figure out a way to use them commercially . They are edible. I think you make them into patties like salmon . Watch your sppeed when you hit a school of them . They are big and do hurt if one hits you:angry:

3. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They are bad up in the paducah, smithland, golconda area. I know a guy that had the bill of his hat taken off by one of em. We got one throwing a cast net a couple of weeks ago. They are the slimmiest critters you wold ever wanna lay your hands on. And they have HUGE teeth! :tounge_out:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have caught them in the cast net. They are pretty dang big. good luck fishing Linda

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Linda,
    Remember how scarce bait was at Rocky Point for the gathering.....If you brought a bunch of fresh ones down for the next one you might get a dollar a pound for em:wink:...W

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This link has been around awhile.
    Ooops .. working it from another source. Darn
    2nd try : http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2007/06/21/mattingly.ms.river.carp.attack.cnn

I have been there and seen this first hand and no matter how many it looks like there are on the clip.. Ya aint seen nothing yet.
    Not the OHIO but the Ilinois and Mississippi that are in my back yard.

Do a little searching on Asin carp and Havana Illinois.
    A tourney there is just Nuts for Numbers.

R Green

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They'll be in all our river systems before too long. the Illinois and the mississippi are so full of them it's crazy. at last years catstock gathering at pere marquett state park in Illinois. where the miss. and the Illinois meet. we helped tow some stranded boaters on the illinois side. we towed thier boat to shore, tied it to a dock and i took them up river to thier vehicle. my boat was loaded down and would'nt plane out, which drove the carp crazy. usually when your flying down the river they jump behind you as you go over them. in our case they were jumping in front of the boat. with 6 people in my boat, every one got slapped by 10-20 pound fish. the man of the group i was helping almost got knocked completely in the water. I grabbed his legs as he flipped backwards over the gunwale. if we had'nt had 3 people at all times throwing them back, I'm sure it would have sank us In the 13 mile stretch of river we covered. when they got out and got me some more gas, I flew back down river at full throttle to keep them jumping behind the boat. I was wondering how long it would take before they became a problem there. I hate to see it. they've ruined our rivers.

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Thanks to all for the info and especially the CNN video. I called the KY Fish and Wildlife today and the biologist told me they have been in this area for 2-3 yrs. I just have never seen one. He said they are in the Ohio, KY River, Green River, Clover Creek and many more. I asked him what could be done, basically he said nothing, just kill them when you see them! He also said it is driving the commercial fishermen nuts because they are getting into their nets, tearing them and making it hard to pull them up because they weigh so much. VERY SCARY!!!

Linda

9. Felixjim

Felixjim New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've seen guys bowfishing these things on the Illinois River. I didn't realize they had made it into our area. Hate to hear it.

10. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Sean, Welcome to the BOC!!! You will love being a part of it. Where in KY do you live?

11. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Linda, I was fishing below the dam at Cannelton Friday night and ran into these carp for the second time this month. I had one just miss my head and land on the gas tank behind me. Some of these fish were 20-30 lbs or so. My son got scared and hid behind the console of the boat. Some of these fish were jumping 4-6 feet into the air.:crazy:

12. Felixjim

Felixjim New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Linda. I live in Louisville. I mostly bank fish so West Point is one of my favorite spots.

13. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Sean, several of us are meeting Saturday at the Salt River Boat ramp between 6-7 pm to meet each other and then fish, swap tales or whatever. Would love for you to join us. The River should be going down ...hopefully!

Linda

14. Felixjim

Felixjim New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I appreciate the invite, Linda. It would be nice meeting fellow catfishers. Most of my buddies are bass junkies. I was out there last Saturday and didn't catch any fish but I enjoyed the "Thunder Over West Point" fireworks show. Was that a carnival or some kind festival going on out there?

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    from every thing I have read these fish are onna destroy our native fish populations..they are palkton feeders like shad and there numbers will quickly overtake any waterway

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Just curious, how big were the fish that were jumping around and how big was the that landed in your boat

17. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    That was our annual West Point River Days. The fire work show is awesome. Did you get caught in the storm that was the Grand Finale?

18. Felixjim

Felixjim New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think it started to spit rain as we were walking out of there, so I guess we missed the grand finale...

19. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    went fishin thurs nite out of salt river and actually seen a very large dead one floatin in the water, thought is was a dead deer at first , as we went on to investagate i seen it was an asian carp biggest ive ever seen ! had to be at least a 100 lber it was 5 ft long, hate to get hit by that one!