Asian carp in Illinois River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by bankpoleken, Nov 6, 2005.

1. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    This article appeared in today's Peoria Journal Star newspaper. Thought some of you who fish the Illilnois River may enjoy this article.
    Havana company angles for Asian carp
    HAVANA - More than 20 million pounds of Asian carp could be harvested from Illinois rivers each year if a Havana company succeeds in developing and marketing products made from the invasive exotic species.
    The Full Story - If anyone is interested I can copy and paste the article. It is fairly lengthy.

2. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Sorry guys - I just read that you can't make reprints of the paper's articles without written permission. Here is the website if you want to read the article. www.pjstar.com

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya, thats something i would like to read. im close to the illinois so it affects me. a buddie of mine went to havana to a bow shop last week and talked to a guy that nets them. they get over 500# per day and the $1700 nets they bought were paid for within a few weeks. they get like $.17 a pound for them and they were cooking some. some type of bredded pattie. he tried one and said they were good. tasted like bluegill he said.

4. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    i have herd of people eating them maybey the next one that jumps in the boat will land in the skillet

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have also heard those fish will destroy our fishery for native species, even catfish...They are plankton eaters and compete with shad for food..And will eventually take over a river system..Sounds like they got a good start now!

6. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    you ain't kidding that they got a good start take a trip up to the peikin lock on the illinois river they look like salmon trying to swimm up a watter fall and you are right they are bad news for everything in the river sytem and god forbid that they make it to the great lakes they will wipe out the salmon and trout

7. chicagoriverking

chicagoriverking New Member

State:
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    a couple weeks ago a guy caught a asain carp and chopped it up and threw all the pieces back into the water around a tree next day there were a lot of bull head and channel cats only in the spots he put the pieces of asain carp

8. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    does that meet with lke michigan? those things are terible down here some times it looks like you can walw on ther backs. would not be cool if they got into the great lakes

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    from what trevor says wilson there better eating than cats. seriously. bud sampson had his annual fish fry. ask goofy. bud went to hudson to the fella that nets commercial fish on the ill. he said ya can have 1 bag of carp. (asian.) thats it. take all the catfish ya want. gave him 15 # BAG OF THE ASIAN CARP AND 40 # OF CATFISH. trevor said the asian carp was all gone before the catfish was even started on. trevor said its great eating. do you have ant hoop nets still? seriously. this may be my next fish at the annual fry i have. its easy to come by and from what i have heard good eating and ill be doing a favor to the river. try one or bring it by here and ill cook a fillet up. theres a bone down the fillet that has to be removed with some red meat but trevor watched bud and them clean and cook it tonight. said its good stuff.

10. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    i just saw a guy from peoria ill. win 10 thousand dollars on americas funniest videos his video showed an asain carp jump and hit him in the head while driving his boat, wish i would have thought of it we get nailed by them all the time, tim

11. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    herd about the vidio winner if that was me it woulda knocked the camera out of the boat- jerm -yes- i still have a few nets but you need a comercial license to use them and each net needs its own tag (alot like licenplates but smaller) check out a place called-memphis net and twine-i think they got a web sight but dont know what it is off hand ,thats where dad used to get his supplies

12. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Is it hard to get a commercial license or do you just have to apply for it and you get it? It might behoove some of us catfisherman who fish the Illinois to release all of our cats and then catch a couple netfuls of asian carp for a fish fry. Kill two birds with one stone.

13. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    the rules and such are on the idnr web sight 35.00 for the license then an seperate fee for each device depending on the type the ill can only be comercal fished below rt-89 werever that is but all the info is on that sight

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    trevor said this fella from hudson bought two or three new nets. $1700. in 3 runs to pearl to sell the carp the nets were paid off. :eek:

15. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    If you guys are looking for some nets i think my father in law had some... he don't need them any more.. god rest his soul.. but i believe he had a couple hoop nets if that is what you are looking for.. i'll have to check with mother in law see if she wants to sell and how much... i live in eastern iowa
    email me @.... dkordway@netins.net make sure ya let me know your from the BOC ... Kenny

16. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    My cousins husband hunts those things for a living. A few of his guys on his boat have gotten hit in the face by them while lookin for em

17. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    speaking of asian carp, anybody else see that fishing show on TV a couple months back (tahnksgiving time maybe) about these guys that were bow and arrow fishing for them as they were jumping out of the water. it took em forever to hit one in mid air but it looked like fun.

18. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    What I can't figure out is asian carp are listed as a nuisance species in the rules and regs book, but they also offer a catch and release pin for a Bighead carp over 25 inches that is caught and released. Sent the DOC an email asking about this last year and never got a reply. I thought nuisance species were not to be returned to the water after they were caught.
    Rat

19. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I remember that Rat. Boy I tell you they are getting worse in the river every year. Hate to see what they are like this year. It used to be if you stayed in the channel you were okay, but not any longer. They seem to be through out the water column in the river anymore.

20. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Did that bump ever heal on your head??? :) Just Curious Chris.....

Ray