Asian Carp Harvested

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by alands94, Dec 20, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Here is an updated article and photo of the Asian Carp netting below Carlyle Dam. Under the photo there are links to 2 previous stories:

I couldn't get the direct link to work right. Just go to http://www.bnd.com and scroll down a bit. You can't miss the photo and stories.

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to live on Scott AFB, and I fished and boated on Carlyle lake every chance I could. A big wonderful lake, with amenities for everone who wanted to enjoy it. Letting the carp go unattended would destroy the entire area. I am glad that somebody is doing something. I also agree with getting the Government involved in subsidies for trying to get rid of these fish. I have a couple of spots around here they have run me out of. Keep us posted.
    Later Andy

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks Aaron for the follow up.

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    They had the commercial fisherman on the news last night showing their catch for the day.. 2 big boats completely full..

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Yeah, my dad told me about it. He said the haul was ridiculous. Just think - 20,000 from below the spillway. How many pounds are there throughout the river? As one of the articles stated - if those fish invaded Carlyle Lake, it would be a disaster.:embarassed:

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Just think how much fun it will be jug fishing Carlyle Aaron! My trolling motor will be busting up carp and look at all that chum!

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Hopefully they will stay out of the lake and we won't have to deal with them. If you want to take your boat below the dam we can make a couple of passes and get all the bait we need!

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I am unclear on how they are going to get into the lake? Besides "IF" they had caught a 40?# female out of the lake then that would tell me that they are already in the lake, short of someone moron throwing one in the lake I am confused as to how they will get through or over the spill way? It's not like they just showed up this year, the only thing that keeps them out of the lake is the dam, isn't it?

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Excellent point, Randy. I don't see how they could get over the dam. Since they caught one in the lake, I'm sure they are there, but perhaps in low enough numbers that they are not showing up regularly? The fact that the female they caught was full of eggs is very concerning. Hopefully it was an errant fish tossed in by some idiot.

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    The news said that one was caught or netted I'm not sure which in the lake this summer.. They don't know how it got there..I wonder if someone was using small ones for live bait and emptied their livewell in the lake before loading the boat.. If so hello asians..

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Amen to that H., they have already said for years that once they are introduced thats it, so hopefully it was just a "tactic" to get the ball rolling........ Other wise that lake will be junk in 3 years......and all the way up to Shelby!

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Could very well have come from someones bait well. When small these carp look alot like shad.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well you figure they have been around for a while, just havent been a problem until now. think about a crane or heron sticking its feet in a pile of eggs and a few stick to it and it flies up and lands in the lake. anything could happen. an asian carp fry looks a lot like a shad.

14. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Thanks for the info, that should make fishing at the spillway alittle more relaxing. I caught alot of channels there this past spring/beginning of summer then got tired of carp/drums being baitstealers, hopefully it will thin out the group of snaggers that just seem to cast anywhere and drag your line in with thiers.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I agree shane, just the thought of a 40#r and the lake, I would think they would be well documented by by now for one to be 40#, thank god I have seen no massive schools top side, thats why I don't quite get that part of it.

16. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    The thought of the long term impact on fishing we've come to enjoy , by Asian Carp, scares me. I was wondering if something could be done, like getting the State Of Illinois to offer all fishing licence buyers in the state a chance to help with a donation program dedicated to controlling Asian Carp. I for one would give. Do we have any BOC members with some type of political connection willing to promote an idea such as this?

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Has anyone tried eating one of these fish?The bones can be dealt with in American Shad in several ways.These might could be too if the flesh is any good.The type of water and time of year could make a lot of difference in the taste.American Shad taste different in the different rivers they enter to migrate though sometimes only 30 miles apart.

I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

18. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    How do they taste?
    Has anyone tried eating one of these fish?The bones can be dealt with in American Shad in several ways.These might could be too if the flesh is any good.The type of water and time of year could make a lot of difference in the taste.American Shad taste different in the different rivers they enter to migrate though sometimes only 30 miles apart.

PeeWee, I think you have a good idea. One of the articles I read indicated the taste was good except that the bones were a problem. When I lived just south of Springfield we use to buy scored carp on the Illinois River. I recall there were restruaunts that specialized in a fish sandwich and that was what they used. It was delicious and the bones were no problem. When I was a kid we used to catch carp & buffalo in the fall. Mom canned them like salmom. The taste was better than the expensive salmon bought in the stores.

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i believe if they are under 5 lbs you can score and fry them and the bones will dissolve. if they are larger , you can smoke them and then the bones will pull right out. i am very interested in seeing how they taste. someone please check it out and keep us posted!

20. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im surprised they even still allow bait gathering under the carlyle spillway. at the rend lake spillway, they have set up cameras and outlawed bait collecting through fear of this same thing.