Asian carp for bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Dredge, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Has anyone tried using those Asian carp for cutbait?I know regular carp works some,but as many of these jump in my boat I could have bait for life in about an hour!Besides,they've got be good for something besides testing my reflexes playing dodgeball.(If you can dodge a carp,you can dodge a ball:eek:oooh:!!!)

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have caught a lot of fish on asian. Like any other bait it has its days

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    they will work ,look out there comes one !!! :smile2:

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rusty caught a 43 lb blue on asian carp last summer.
    Later Andy

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Here in our neck of the woods they seem to do better in the middle of summer when it is hot out. I caught some fish on them this year, mostly on fillets.

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    These gentlemen gave you the correct information. I will simply add that I filet the suckers and then throw them to the kitty's!!! :smile2::smile2:

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I haven't caught a whole lot on the bigger asian carp fillets, but I have a spot where in the summertime I can get smaller asians,(8"-12") and let me tell you, the right time of year, usually July and August, these things are deadly. They will outfish shad 10-1 in my opinion.:wink:

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would think it would work may not work as well as other cut baits. For instance in an area like i fish for blues there is a huge population of shad so it may not be as successful there.

9. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Well, around here in the mighty mo asian cut fillets are hard to beat in the summer time for blues. :big_smile:

10. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tried asian carp fillets on one trip last summer and never got a bite. Used about two years ago on trotlines and caught nothing. One thing about it, you gotta cut that stuff of the hook, its tough!:crazy:

11. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    They are a fine and plentiful bait, whether in strips or chunks. They also help find lost car keys, solve the national debt, protect against UV rays, and were an early source of paper for ancient Sumerians.

In other words...feel free to take as many as you like and use them however you wish (as long as they're dead). Then kill them again. You don't hear me say that about any other fish (including gar). :angry:

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I guess they are good for something!

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Asian Carps are absolutely TERRIBLE baits to use in August.

Honest :roll_eyes::embarassed::cool2::haha::hell_boy::boss::cross:

14. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Ive tried using them, they have lots of blood and smell like shad to me but have only caught snapping turtles on chunks of them.

15. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    No Good at all. Don't you know the only thing you can catch big blues on are Skip Jack. :eek:oooh: :smile2:

16. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    the carp is one fish i hate dont like the carp so much i wouldnt insult a catfish by trying to catch it with it

17. Incoming08

Incoming08 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will admitt i have caught a few fish on cut asian carp but nothing big. I do like it cuz it is easy to come by and stays on the hook well but not my number one bait.

18. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I havent tried it, but have heard that you can catch fish on it! One thing to me is that you MUST have confidence in whatever bait you use!!!!:wink: When I fished out of my aluminum boat with a 2-stroke motor on it, I would get BOMBED by the carp!!!!Now that I have a fiberglass boat and 4-stroke motor on it, I see a carp jump every now and then (must have something to do with the noise, or vibration).:wink:

19. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have been useing them for about 7 or 8 years and have caught tons of fish on them but like every body else says they have there days but they are cheap lol

20. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    My Asian carp experience is pretty limited. I've only fished with it when I absolutely had to. This has only happened to me twice. One such time was this past December ('07). Although I'll start using it more as I get opportunity.

It was one of those days where I couldn't catch a shad to save my life. Somehow I "lucked up" on getting a 20-25 lb Asian in the cast net. Well, it was certainly a whole lot better than bare hooks. Although I think I might have caught a couple small mooneye's also.

Anyway, had a great day. The big fish of the day (40 lbs) was caught on the Asian carp, as well as several others. I'll have to look back at my website to see exactly what I caught. It was a pleasant surprise though.

I had one whole side of that guy filleted and he was still flopping on the bottom of the boat, LOL.